Comedies of the '70s and '80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedies of the '70s and '80s

Lately I've been collecting comedies from when I was growing up, it started when I stumbled on a couple used John Candy and Richard Pryor collections. So far I have

Stripes
    The Blues Brothers
    Caddyshack
    Animal House
    Going Berserk
    The Great Outdoors
    Uncle Buck
    Armed and Dangerous
    Who's Harry Crumb?
    Car Wash
    Which Way is Up?
    Bustin' Loose
    Brewsters Millions

I also got the first five seasons of SNL '75 - '79

Next I want to get Kentucky Fried Movie, The Groove Tube, and Amazon Women on the Moon

Any ideas, other favorites I should add to the list?

Porkies seems to be an obvious choice. I think Porkies part 2 is a pretty good sequel. The Roger Corman ripoff of Porkies called Screwballs has its share of fans.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

For 80s stuff

Zapped
      Joysticks
      Hamburger the Motion Picture

Comment

This is a wide open topic, you could list tons of stuff....I'll mention one that is sometimes forgotten, USED CARS. Kurt Russell and Gerrit Graham, along with Jack Warden and a Joe Flaherty cameo...very funny film.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Fletch. Just the first one though, but I find it hilarious.

And Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, to.

Those are my absolute all time favourite 80s comedies, with the National Lampoon Vacation films given an honourable mention.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Excellent recommendations, I'm adding all of these to my list.

Another one I want to get is the Cameron Crowe-written Fast Times at Ridgemont High knock-off THE WILD LIFE ('84). Christopher Penn, Eric Stoltz, Rick Moranis, Randy Quaid, Butch Vig, Kitten Natividad, score by Eddie Van Halen. Damn fine film.

Comment

I like Summer Rental as far as John Candy goes, and Volunteers (with Candy and Hanks) if you can find it is great.
              Fraternity Vacation is almost essential viewing, as far as I'm concerned, as is Scavenger Hunt.
              Spies Like Us. Funny Farm. The first National Lampoon's Vacation film.

The region-free Police Academy blu can be found cheap at amazon.co.uk....i think it's a double feature with the sequel.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of SPIES LIKES US, FLETCH, BEVERLY HILLS COP, STRIPES, and VACATION. I recently watched THE GREAT OUTDOORS and it didn't hold up well. It was a favorite back in the day.

If you want something that's hard to find but worth tracking down I recommend SURF II, PERFECT TIMING and CALIFORNIA GIRLS (1983).

It doesn't appear your looking for teen hi-jinx films but some of my favorites are POM POM GIRLS, PORKY's, REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS, H.O.T.S. (1979), PRIVATE SCHOOL, and SPRING BREAK. Some popular ones that hated are MY TUTOR, TEEN LUST, and HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS.

My family and I always watch CHRISTMAS VACATION in December. It's a riot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                  I like Summer Rental as far as John Candy goes, and Volunteers (with Candy and Hanks) if you can find it is great.
                  Fraternity Vacation is almost essential viewing, as far as I'm concerned, as is Scavenger Hunt.
                  Spies Like Us. Funny Farm. The first National Lampoon's Vacation film.

The region-free Police Academy blu can be found cheap at amazon.co.uk....i think it's a double feature with the sequel.
                  I just watched Scavenger Hunt last week. For year I thought it was a made for tv film. Mostly cause the first time I saw it was on TV. The local UHF showed it at least 3 times a year. I recorded it to a betamax tape and held onto that tape for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                    Fletch. Just the first one though, but I find it hilarious.

And Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, to.
                    Excellent choices! I love DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS. Also, SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL has me in stitches every time I see it; as does, to a lesser extent, STIR CRAZY.

Most John Hughes films leave me cold, but I adore PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES.
                    Paul L
                    Scholar of Sleaze
                    Last edited by Paul L; 12-18-2014, 02:26 PM.
                    'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                    'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                      I just watched Scavenger Hunt last week. For year I thought it was a made for tv film. Mostly cause the first time I saw it was on TV. The local UHF showed it at least 3 times a year. I recorded it to a betamax tape and held onto that tape for decades.
                      I saw it a bunch of times when i was a kid, and then saw it again a few years back....Holy shit, that was Vincent Price? :D

Comment

Picked this up today Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419024933.256873.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	347571

Comment

Found these at the used bookstore this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419091477.266702.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	347573

Comment

That 1941 DVD is one of the shittiest I've seen. Flat transfer, 40 grit grain, murky, ugly as hell. It's available on BD as part of a high-dollar Steven Spielberg box, I don't think it's available as a stand-alone release yet.

Comment

Better Off Dead
                              Three O'Clock High
                              The Jerk
                              The Man With Two Brains

Comment

Working...
                              X