JOHN WICK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOHN WICK

Time was action heroes needed a solid reason to go on a kill crazy rampage but those days are over. Now you'd better not touch said heroes dog.

This seems to be getting pretty good reviews and I think I heard it's directed by the action choreographers on the Matrix. The Detroit News says: "Mostly it's Keanu playing bang-bang. If that sounds great, go see the movie. If not, congratulations on aspiring to better things. " I'm not sure I aspire to better things.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

If this comes to the big screen here, I will go see it. And that is a promise.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      "Mostly it's Keanu playing bang-bang. If that sounds great, go see the movie. If not, congratulations on aspiring to better things. " I'm not sure I aspire to better things.
      I don't aspire to better things either...i dont ask much of an action movie....but somehow recently even simple action movies cannot get it right...

From the reviews of this one I've read seems the plot / story / exposition is minimal...and there is a decent action scene every 10-15 mins....EXACTLY how these things should be!

Comment

600 seat theatre on opening night, about a third full. Snacks: A coke zero (I'm watching my figure).

I walked out of the cinema at the end feeling numbed and pulverised. I felt insulted. I felt like I'd had a good night at the movies.

Plot is kept to the barest of minimums. Some thugs piss off Wick and he extracts brutal, bloody revenge. Total body count by the end is- well I'm not sure anyone can keep count with that but I look forward to seeing a video on youtube that gives it a go.

This movie is exceptionally dumb. Or at least it assumes you are. It's subtle like a knee to the groin. But the action is good. Not Raid good but like the cooler gun bits from Matrix. Wick's a killer of the efficent variety so it's all about racking up the body count fast rather than the extreme physical skill you see in Evans movies. It's cut fast to a thumping soundtrack when it would sometimes be nice to just see the bodies in motion but it's always totally coherent.

One major disappointment is I was enjoying the ambiguity of Wicks rampage. Something very nihilist about a guy killing that many people- even if they are bad people- over not a hell of a lot. Really cast the character as a unique kind of anti hero. Well that's done away for the last third as Wick gets given genuine motivation.

Expect a John Wick 2 I would say.
        Last edited by Dom D; 10-30-2014, 07:11 PM.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

It opens here tomorrow. I will go see it ASAP. If it comes to my town that is... they have pulled the bait and switch on me before, the evil cinema people.

Comment

Blu-ray release is coming 2/3/15.

"Lionsgate Home Entertainment will release on Blu-ray director Chad Stahelski's action film John Wick (2014), starring Keanu Reeves, Michael Nyqvist, and Alfie Allen. The release will be available for purchase on February 3, 2015.

Synopsis: Synopsis: An ex-hitman comes out of retirement to track down the gangsters that took everything from him. With New York City as his bullet-riddled playground, "John Wick" (Keanu Reeves) is a fresh and stylized take on the "assassin genre."

Special Features:

Audio Commentary
            Featurettes:
            Don't F^#% with John Wick
            Calling In The Calvalry
            Destiny Of A Collective
            Assassin's Code
            Red Circle
            NYC Noir"
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I saw it. It was kind of nice actually. No nonsense actioner. I would have said "They dont make em like this anymore" but clearly, they do.

Comment

Watched it last night and loved it. As everyone else has said, there's not much story here and the motivation is flimsy but that didn't really matter to me. Keanu did, as Dom said, play 'bang bang' but he did it so well and with such conviction and such a lack of concern for self and for, well, anyone getting in the way that I got pretty pulled into it. It's pretty brainless, but it didn't matter to me. It was slick and stylish and oh so beautifully violent.

I would welcome a sequel. This was a lot of fun, a modern action movie from a big studio with a marquee star distilled down to something 'pure.'
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Just saw John Wick and enjoyed it. Ian, no sequel yet, but there is a prequel. John as a young boy first learning his craft.

The trailer makes it look pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPhZsauluXM

Comment

Ha, thanks for that George - doesn't seem that far off!!
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Lionsgate officially announces John Wick 2.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...s-john-wick-2/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I finally go around to seeing this the last weekend.....and it was good....

Just loved how almost everyone kinda gave up as soon as they heard it was Wick coming after them.....Keanu fit the role perfectly...and it was nice to see a guy go on a murderous revenge mission without getting boggd down in a relationship / guilt issues / change of heart...

Comment

The sequel is officially to start filming this fall for release in Nov. 2016.

http://www.gamesradar.com/john-wick-...-filming-fall/
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

"As John Wick 2 heads into production next week, the first baddie destined to go up against Keanu Reeves' titular badass has been revealed. According to a report from THR, Common will take on a role as head of security for a notorious female crime lord, and star as one of the film's major villains."

http://www.gamesradar.com/common-sig...n-john-wick-2/
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X