Michael Keaton is.... BIRDMAN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Keaton is.... BIRDMAN!

I can't quite figure out if this looks rad or not....

The poster is neat though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Birdman_Poster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	365191
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Yeah it looks rad. Isn't it lucky I'm here to tell you this stuff?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Based on the poster alone, this is a film I will own on Blu.
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Looking good.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Definitely intriguing.

Comment

Name:	birdman-poster-600x898.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	346723
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Anyone else here see this yet?
              I think it's going to end up being my favorite film this year, even though it's basically an arthouse film & not the action film I was lead to believe it was from the trailer.

Comment

You kinda have to approach this films from a few different angles. First of all as a technical accomplishment it is unmatched. There's a lot of hidden edits but the film plays as if its all one continuous shot. This leads to some incredible complex filmmaking as a single camera follows actors around, inside and out, through dream sequences, sex scenes, long dialogue takes, whatever. Some people in front of me at the cinema were wondering at the actors skill to pull that off. Screw the actors. Talk to the gaffer and the focus puller and the steadicam operator. What those guys are doing is impossible but it's made to look effortless. Mind you the actors ARE great too. Keaton is hilarious and painfully on the edge as a man who is just 2 seconds from losing it entirely. And Ed Norton is disgustingly, charismatically unlikeable as a prick actor who's all ego, self importance and talent. Actually that one probably wasn't a stretch...

Then you have to be charmed by the film as a meta piece of nonsense. Keaton is playing a guy who kicked his own career in the nuts by not following through on a superhero series etc. This is all pretty cute and Kaufmanesque. I hate cute and I dislike Kauffman-esque. I'm going to give it a pass here because-

the third angle is the portrait of the artist as an impoverished, unconfident and incredibly driven man. The film nails this like few others. Or maybe like no other... It's kind of a Living In Oblivion sort of story but it hits a lot deeper than that film. Doing theatre is a special kind of madness that leads to a whole new set of insecurities that you just don't get doing other art forms and this film gets that insecurity, it tells you about it... and it also understands that it's fucking stupid and egocentric to feel that way in the first place. Basically this film gets madness in a way no film has since Apocalypse Now.

Anyway I dislike it on a lot of levels but it's still fucking awesome. See it.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Reading your Review, I feel you and I were somewhat similar in our takes on this film Dom.

Here are my thoughts on it from my cinema review thread:

The opening scene felt so pretentious and I thought to myself: God, why have I tricked myself into going to see two hours of this? Then something clicks with this film. Or rather with me and the film. And it just takes off. Keaton is fantastic, and the weirdness of the film grows on me. It is even funny. And what is even better, is that it feels almost seamless in its editing. As if it is one long voyeuristic take. On an intellectual level I can point out where the takes are cut, but the cinematography is just so smooth. Extremely well shot film. The entire photography and continuity etcetera departments here need praise. Fantasticly well made in that department.

And well acted. Not just Keaton, but mr. pretentious Edward Norton plays sort of a tongue in cheek yet straight version of himself, and I never expected this film to be as funny as it is. I laughed more at this then most straight up comedies. The only thing I didn't like was all the pretentious "artsy" bits. This film doesn't need that. This film is Keaton on the verge of total breakdown, and that is absolutely fantastic.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

“(4 stars) One of the best films ever” (Steven Rea, The Philadelphia Inquirer)

“Birdman is “audacious, original, and bold” (Leonard Maltin, Indiewire.com)

Nominated for Nine Academy Awards® Including “Best Picture”

Winner of a SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

Winner of two Golden Globes® Including Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy, Best Screenplay

Winner of Darryl F. Zanuck PGA Award for Best Feature Film

On Digital HDâ„¢ Today -- Blu-rayâ„¢ and DVD February 17

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (February 3, 2015) - Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Regency Enterprises invite audiences to take flight with a New Regency / M Productions / Le Grisbi production, BIRDMAN or (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) - winner of two Golden Globes® Awards and 9 Academy Awards nominations, including Best Picture, the critically-acclaimed film soars onto Blu-ray™ and DVD February 17 and is now available on Digital HD™. “Daring, devastating, and howlingly funny; [with] Michael Keaton delivering the best performance of his career” (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone), BIRDMAN has been hailed as one of the most exciting and talked about films of 2014.

Directed, written and produced by Alejandro Gonzí¡lez Ií±í¡rritu, BIRDMAN tells the story of Riggan Thomson (Michael Keaton), (Batman, Robocop, Need For Speed) - famous for portraying an iconic superhero - as he struggles to mount a Broadway play. In the days leading up to opening night, he battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career, and himself. The film has enamoured critics and audiences alike with its technical achievements using a single shot concept and captivating performances from an all-star ensemble cast, which include Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover, Due Date, Dinner for Schmucks), Edward Norton (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Primal Fear, American History X), Andrea Riseborough (Oblivion, Shadow Dancer), Amy Ryan (Gone Baby Gone, Win Win), Emma Stone (The Help; Crazy, Stupid, Love, The Amazing Spiderman franchise) Naomi Watts (St. Vincent, The Impossible, King Kong) as well as breath-taking cinematography from Academy Award-winner Emmanuel Lubezki.

Featured on over 168 Top Ten lists, BIRDMAN has garnered attention worldwide and has received more than 200 nominations from such esteemed groups as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, receiving nine Academy Award nominations, including “Best Picture,” won two Golden Globe awards (“Best Performance by an Actor,” “Best Screenplay”), recipient of the Darryl F. Zanuck, Producer of the Year Award for Best Motion Picture as well as a Screen Actors Guild award (“Best Ensemble,”) and has also been nominated for six Spirit Awards, including “Best Feature.”) BIRDMAN has also earned nods from the American Film Institute, the National Board of Review and the New York Film Critics Online.

SPECIAL FEATURES (BLU-RAY)
                    ● Birdman: All-Access
                    ● A Conversation with Michael Keaton and Alejandro G. Ií±í¡rritu
                    ● Gallery: Chivo's On-Set Photos

SPECIAL FEATURES (DVD)
                    ● Birdman: All-Access
                    ● Gallery: Chivo's On-Set Photos

Highlighted features include never before seen interviews with Director Alejandro Gonzí¡lez Ií±í¡rritu and Michael Keaton, an intimate backstage peak from the Cast & Crew and a breath-taking selection of rare photographs from Cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki.

ABOUT TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT
                    Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film, a News Corporation company. Representing over 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions as well as all third party distribution partners on DVD, Blu-rayâ„¢, Digital Copy, Digital HDâ„¢, and VOD (video-on-demand). Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

Name:	BM_BD_OSLEEVE_Spine.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	347967
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Really looking forward to checking this out. Michael Keaton is great.

Comment

Man, can't wait to see this one, the trailers looked amazing and every newspaper here in Norway gave it a 6/6!
                        Repulsive Cinema

Comment

BIRDMAN was one of last year's best films. It's essentially yet another riff on Fellini's masterpiece 8 1/2, but, has enough of a modernist slant that it stands on its own. *

The cast is superb. Once you get on a bead on what Inarritu and his collaborators are doing, it is also a heck of an entertaining piece as well as a thoughtful one. Like 8 1/2's Guido (Marcello Mastroainni), this a movie that really gets inside the head of its protagonist - his dreams, fears, nightmares etc. Michael Keaton basically plays Michael Keaton - an actor who was once the lead in the biggest franchise on the planet (Birdman), but, who walks away as the sequels get progressively worse (riddle you that, Batman).

Much has been made of Lubezki's camerwork which seems to resemble one long continuous take. Sorry, but, after GRAVITY and that one sequence in CHILDREN OF MEN, I'm just not as impressed anymore. With digital and CGI it's not as daunting a challenge as it once was. Technically well-done, but it gets more and more gimmicky as times goes on. The ending is very divisive for certain. At first, I thought it seemed anti-climactic and hammered home what has already been stated in the scenes leading up to it. But, in retrospect, it's all of a piece.

A brilliant movie, but, for a targeted audience, no doubt.

*(without getting into spoilers, there are two or three direct hommages to 8 1/2. And, Inarritu says that before Keaton was signed, his intent was to make a movie about a Director, not an actor).

Comment

Working...
                          X