Sudden drop in quality while watching a film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden drop in quality while watching a film

I just finished watching a DVD and something struck me: during close-ups the quality was sharp and crystal clear, but during scenes that were filmed from a bit further, the image was not as sharp anymore and all pixelated.

I have two DVDs in my collection that are like this: "Satanico Pandemonium" (Mondo Macabro) and "The Cremator" (Second Run).

Is this problem caused by the DVD itself or my DVD-player? Or possibly my projector.

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow.

Could it just be that the wide are not shot as well shot (they're trickier to light with no money) or that as your watching on a projector you're just seeing the limits of SD material? Maybe on wides with lots of small details you're really noticing the low resolution?
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
      I just finished watching a DVD and something struck me: during close-ups the quality was sharp and crystal clear, but during scenes that were filmed from a bit further, the image was not as sharp anymore and all pixelated.
      The differences in sharpness could perhaps be explained by the qualities of different lenses: close-ups would most likely be filmed with a short telephoto lens (85mm-135mm), whilst wide shots may use shorter focal lengths (below 50mm). I guess nowadays, most productions use zooms rather than primes, but given the vintage of the two films you mention, I would assume they were shot using prime lenses - and there can be wide variation in the qualities and characteristics of different lenses. On the other hand, it could also be down to optical printing.

However, the pixellation is harder to explain - but Dom's assertion above, about the focus on small details highlighting the deficiencies of the low res digital presentation, makes absolute sense.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
      X