Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia - The Twilight Time Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia - The Twilight Time Blu-ray

Splitting this off from the main Twilight Time thread now that specs/extras are out:

Available for pre-order on Wednesday, Feb 19th at 4 pm EST:
    BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA (1974)

Director: Sam Peckinpah
    Composer: Jerry Fielding
    Starring: Warren Oates, Isela Vega, Gig Young, Robert Webber, Emilio Fernandez, Kris Kristofferson, Donnie Fritts

Special Features:
    -Isolated Score Track
    -Audio Commentary with Writer-Producer Gordon Dawson and Film Historian Nick Redman
    -Audio Commentary with Film Historians Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, David Weddle, and Nick Redman
    -Passion & Poetry: Sam's Favorite Film
    -A Writer's Journey: Garner Simmons with Sam Peckinpah in Mexico
    -Promoting Alfredo Garcia
    -6 TV Spots
    -Original Theatrical Trailer

LANGUAGE: English
    VIDEO: 1080p High Definition / 1.85:1
    AUDIO: English 1.0 DTS-HD MA
    SUBTITLES: English SDH
    1974 / Color
    112 MINUTES
    RATED: R
    REGION FREE

Limited Edition of 3,000 Units
    Release Date: March 11th, 2014
    Retail Price: $29.95

Cover art:

Click image for larger version

Name:	58442_725502027468466_949731429_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	364032

Cover art for the liner notes:

Name:	1653619_735580709793931_2027810236_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	364033
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Ill be picking this and THE MECHANIC up for sure. Twilight Time has really been getting my attention lately with some great films they're planning on releasing. I hadn't bothered with any of their stuff before, but I'll be picking these up for sure.

Damn, 2014 is gonna be an expensive year for me buying movies!

Comment

Last year and this year are expensive, and not just for the blu-ray upgrades, but all the new titles coming to blu-ray as well. I'll have to pass on many of genre and cult titles I want because the money just isn't there. But I'll be getting The Mechanic and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.

Don't you just love the blood-stained burlap sack with the flies stuck to it. I'll bet Nick Redmond thought of that.

The Peckinpah Posse commentary from the DVD has been carried over, which is good. I look forward to the additional supplements, the interview with writer Gordon Dawson and the excerpt from Dan Siegel's German documentary on Peckinpah, The Passion and the Poetry. A fine documentary by the way, if you like Peckinpah it's as essential as one of his films.

Townz Van Zandt used to introduce a song by telling the audience "If you understand what this song is about, you need to seek professional help." I could be wrong, but I think the song was about a scolded kid hiding in his room saying "I don't want nuthin'! I don't care about nuthin'!" Critics used to treat Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia the same way, as if it were some kind of retard or perversity. Even the Peckinpah Posse apologize for it in the commentary. I don't think Peckinpah put black humor in the film, as the Posse postulates, I think he was completely serious. The film ain't about the head in the sack. I think the story cuts too close to the bone for some people. David Weddle comes closest to nailing it when he says on the commentary "Mexico is a place where it takes a real commitment to life to survive," or words to that effect, which is certainly true. Benny and Yleta are like a lot of people in Mexico. This is a story about people with no chance and no hope taking one last desperate risk to get out of the trap they're living in. It has the blackest heart of any film noir since Victimas del Pecado (Emilio Fernandez, 1951). Wouldn't you agree, Ian?
      Richard--W
      a straight arrow
      Last edited by Richard--W; 02-17-2014, 08:19 PM.
      "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
        Wouldn't you agree, Ian?
        Never having been to Mexico or seen the Fernandez movie you reference, I can't quite say. I do think it's a fantastic movie though and that, yeah, it's finally starting to rise in the ranks of his films. I've loved it since the first time I saw it and I think it may best represent the 'aura' of Peckinpah better than many of his other pictures. It feels pure in a way, if that makes any sense.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, it has been gaining acceptance and growing in reputation since it was released on DVD in 2005. Back in the 1970s it was considered the red-headed stepchild of deviant parentage. The critics who still hate it need to see more EuroTrash.

Comment

The critics who still hate it need to see more EuroTrash.
            Well said, it adds to the appreciation. It was one of the last Peckinpah movies I got around to seeing, and in hindsight that might have added to my appreciation of it because by that point I'd seen his other features and at least had a rough idea of what to expect. After I saw it I remember reading If They Move... Kill'em and rewatching the movie and getting more out of it the second time, simply because I knew more about Peckinpah the man as opposed to Peckinpah the director.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, it has been gaining acceptance and growing in reputation since it was released on DVD in 2005. Back in the 1970s it was considered the red-headed stepchild of deviant parentage. The critics who still hate it need to see more EuroTrash.
              Critics were never friendly to Peckinpah, save for Roger Ebert, who actually understood THE WILD BUNCH, as well as his other films. Peckinpah is my favourite director, and to me, BMTHOAG is an unsung classic. You either get it, or you don't. Taken in conjunction with his other films, it ranks right up there. Peckinpah inhabited a grimy corner of the cinematic world, and revelled in it. He was a true outsider, and had a clear vision for many of his films, albeit a grim, nihilistic vision.

And for my money, Warren Oates was never better than in this film. The man was a criminally underrated actor in his time, and STILL does not get the respect he deserves.

Agreed about the critics needing to see more Eurotrash....they'd understand the vibe of this film much better had they seen some more Euro offerings. This movie plays like a south of the border Euro film, if that makes sense, even though it's obviously not set in Europe. The vibe of the film is like the intangible of the whole thing; it makes it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Zane C. View Post
                Critics were never friendly to Peckinpah, save for Roger Ebert, who actually understood THE WILD BUNCH, as well as his other films. Peckinpah is my favourite director, and to me, BMTHOAG is an unsung classic. You either get it, or you don't. Taken in conjunction with his other films, it ranks right up there. Peckinpah inhabited a grimy corner of the cinematic world, and revelled in it. He was a true outsider, and had a clear vision for many of his films, albeit a grim, nihilistic vision.
                Absolutely. Peckinpah was also a first-rate filmmaker. i would add another descriptive to grim and nihilistic: down-to-earth. He understood motivation, and found motivations for his actors that other director's couldn't have thought of. I refer to the emotional business, not the premise or plot.

And for my money, Warren Oates was never better than in this film. The man was a criminally underrated actor in his time, and STILL does not get the respect he deserves.
                You express my own thoughts. Count me in as a fan. A remarkable actor. All Warren Oates had to do to "be" John Dillinger was show up for work. He's stars in two of the best westerns ever made, RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND and THE SHOOTING (both 1965). In fact his personality is the tone and temper of the films. I also liked him THE THIEF WHO CAME TO DINNER (1973) from an early script by Walter Hill. I don't think it's had a DVD release in region 1.

Agreed about the critics needing to see more Eurotrash....they'd understand the vibe of this film much better had they seen some more Euro offerings. This movie plays like a south of the border Euro film, if that makes sense, even though it's obviously not set in Europe. The vibe of the film is like the intangible of the whole thing; it makes it work.
                For that matter critics need to see more Mexican films. Thematically and dramatically, the goings on in ALFREDO GARCIA are not unusual in Mexican cinema, especially in the golden age Mexican cinema as evidenced by VICTIMAS DEL PECADO (1951) and countless others. For example, there is a thin line between prostitution and a respectable woman in Mexican culture that is often examined in Mexican films. It has to do with terrible poverty and need for survival. Yleta in ALFREDO GARCIA is a character Mexican audiences recognize in themselves as well in their cinema, albeit a "soft" version. And there are a lot men like Benny, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Well said, it adds to the appreciation. It was one of the last Peckinpah movies I got around to seeing, and in hindsight that might have added to my appreciation of it because by that point I'd seen his other features and at least had a rough idea of what to expect. After I saw it I remember reading If They Move... Kill'em and rewatching the movie and getting more out of it the second time, simply because I knew more about Peckinpah the man as opposed to Peckinpah the director.
                  If They Move ... Kill 'Em is a seriously good biography. Peckinpah got lucky. He found the right biographer in David Weddle.

Twilight Time admits on Facebook that they're "working on" releasing NOON WINE, Peckinpah's made-for-tv play that aired November 1966. Peckinpah adapted the script from a story by Katherine Anne Porter (SHIP OF FOOLS). She praised it as highly as she condemned other adaptations of her books. It starred Jason Robards, Olivia DeHaviland and Theodore Bikel. The program was never repeated, that I know of, and it hasn't been seen since except for a screening at USC. I've been badgering Nick Redmond about it for a couple of years, and now they're working on it:

from a posting on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209186/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_6

ametaphysicalshark:

For some reason "Noon Wine" isn't out on DVD yet.I hope that, given Peckinpah's popularity, it is only a matter of time until this is released, because it really is one of the best things he ever did both as a writer and director. Adapted from Katherine Anne Porter's short story, this is a dark, bleak tragedy set in 1890 Texas. The outcome of the simple story (which I won't describe) is predictable but still has a strong impact on the viewer thanks to the strength of the script, actors, and direction.

It's especially surprising that "Noon Wine" doesn't have an official release since it was a major part of Peckinpah's career. He was viewed as an outcast following the troubled production of "Major Dundee" and was luckily hired by producer Daniel Melnick, a fan of Peckinpah's, to direct and write this adaptation for ABC. Peckinpah was nominated for directing and writing rewards by the respective guilds, and the critical success of "Noon Wine" led to Peckinpah being hired for his most famous and appreciated film- "The Wild Bunch". It would be simplistic to say that "Noon Wine" saved his career, but it wouldn't be (entirely) incorrect.

Peckinpah's work here as a writer is particularly good, achieving a rare level of artistic depth, but his work as director is equally impressive, mute as his style is here in comparison to some of his other work. The film, which clocks in at 48 minutes in length, is immensely satisfying, more than most features are, in fact, partially thanks to Jason Robards. He considered it one of his most satisfying professional experiences, and I think it really is one of his finest performances, making this a must-see for all Robards fans as well as all Peckinpah fans.

The short novel this is based on is definitely worth reading, but I can see why Porter enthusiastically endorsed Peckinpah's script for "Noon Wine", because it efficiently captures the essence of the story without ever being too stringently faithful, allowing for just enough flexibility for the film to work on its own terms. If you can find "Noon Wine" you simply must see it.
                  Richard--W
                  a straight arrow
                  Last edited by Richard--W; 02-19-2014, 03:27 AM.

Comment

A Twilight Time Blu-ray of Noon Wine would be very welcome indeed.

Interesting comparisons about the morality of Benny and Yleta, Richard. And I agree that the motivations Peckinpah was able to infuse his characters with is a huge driving force in what makes his pictures so compelling. You're able to believe that these characters 'want it' and as such, the actors seem more convincing. As far as Oates goes, I also agree with you and Zane, he's criminally underrated. I've got to add Two Lane Blacktop to his 'best of' list as well though - he's literally perfect in that role.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Nick Redman from Twilight Time said this on FB yesterday:

"we did put out AG [Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia] and the first run is gone although it'll be making a comeback next year so worry not..."

So it looks like a reissue is pending.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming from Arrow UK in January.

Name:	CuvLp-XW8AAL-i7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	351450

Format: Blu-Ray
                        Starring: Warren Oates, Isela Vega, Robert Webber, Gig Young
                        Directed by: Sam Peckinpah
                        Synopsis:

NOBODY LOSES ALL THE TIME

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia concluded a remarkable period for filmmaker Sam Peckinpah. It brought to an end a seven-year and seven-film run of masterpieces that included the taboo-breaking ultra-violence of The Wild Bunch and Straw Dogs, and the more elegiac tones of The Ballad of Cable Hogue and Junior Bonner. A love story that plays out in a brutal environment, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia sits somewhere between these moods and may just be Bloody Sam's greatest work, as well as his most autobiographical.

Warren Oates plays Bennie, a piano player in a Mexican bar who gets himself involved in the manhunt for Alfredo Garcia, a man with a million-dollar price-tag on his head having impregnated the daughter of crime boss El Jefe (Emilio Ferní¡ndez). Sensing an easy pay day, Bennie takes his girlfriend, Elita (Isela Vega) on a trip that'll prove fatalistic for many of those involved.

During a career that was blighted by studio interference, Peckinpah would later say that Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia was the only which ended up exactly as he wanted: “I did it exactly the way I wanted to. Good or bad, like it or not, that was my film.” And it was. This is as close to 'Pure Peckinpah' as it gets - beautiful, violent, troubling, heartbreaking, astonishing.

LIMITED TWO-DISC EDITION CONTENTS:
                        Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
                        Original 1.0 mono audio
                        Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
                        Brand new audio commentary by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies, recorded exclusively for this release
                        Audio commentary by Sam Peckinpah scholars Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle, moderated by Nick Redman
                        Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron, Paul Joyce's feature-length 1993 documentary featuring interviews with James Coburn, Kris Kristofferson, Monte Hellman, Ali MacGraw, James Robards and others, available on home video in the UK for the first time ever
                        The John Player Lecture: Sam Peckinpah, audio recording of the director's on-stage appearance at the National Film Theatre
                        Theatrical trailer
                        Bonus Blu-ray: Featuring never-before-seen interviews with Peckinpah colleagues and contemporaries including Kris Kristofferson, Monte Hellman, L.Q. Jones, Alan Sharp and more (TBC) [Limited Edition exclusive]
                        Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
                        Extensive collector's booklet containing new writing by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and numerous reprints including interviews and more [Limited Edition exclusive]

DETAILS:
                        RRP: £24.99 £17.99
                        Region: B
                        Rating: 18
                        Duration: 112 mins
                        Language: English
                        Subtitles: English SDH
                        Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
                        Audio: 1.0 Mono
                        Colour
                        Discs: 2
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't want to rebuy this again but I think I have to.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, another essential LE from Arrow. This is such a good film too, really my favourite Peckinpah with Straw Dogs coming in second.

Comment

This really needs it's own thread .

Comment

Working...
                              X