Only The Young Die Good (download)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only The Young Die Good (download)

A few of you guys expressed an interest in seeing my film. I just had to upload a picture locked version to my audio guy who needs it for finalising lip sync and anyone here who wants it can grab it as well. Other than the lip sync this is version is good and I figure the bunch here watch so many Italian movies that lip sync is not a major concern in these parts anyway. It's just a touch rubbery.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wlyl6ard2...xports_agk.avi

That's a 1.2GB XVID. Small but XVIDs a good codec for small. The streaming is a bit dodgy so I suggest you download it. I'd much rather you watched it on your telly and give it your full attention than watching it as a stream on your PC where theres always a million distractions anyway. I know I can't watch a film like that.

For those who don't know, this was a sub $14k 1940s detective noir I shot in 2012. It's pastichey in the set up but hopefully not in the tone. Cast are mostly just my mates and everything you see on screen has been begged borrowed and stolen (any budget there was having been paid as wages). Film Bizarro describes it thusly:
    "Dominic Deacon and his producer, Anna Young, were responsible for two of our past favorites with "Bad Habits" and "Burlesque". They have come back this year with a genre film that seems only natural for them: neo-noir. Very rarely do you see low-budget indie productions take on period pieces and pull them off as successfully as "Only the Young Die Good" did. In both terms of look and feel, "Only the Young Die Good" picks up right where the classic noir films left off with a hard boiled detective exploring the seedy underbelly of a city, all thanks to a couple of dames that bring nothing but trouble. Staying true to the genre roots, the movie touches on many tropes, without feeling like clichés, while weaving a mysterious and lurid tale of sex and murder."

Lemme know what you think.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

I'll check this out after work.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      I'll check this out after work.
      Me too!!

I will get the popcorn ready!

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Well after work wound up meaning this afternoon but I downloaded it and will check it out soon.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Apologies for a delayed reply. I know you're not chomping on the bit for my opinion but you clearly want some legit feedback and I know the feeling. I will say this; I'm not generally a fan of Noir so keep that in mind.

As a Noir I couldn't quite get into it but that has more to do with genre then anything else. If you made a Western I would have a similar response (I actually prefer Westerns that are entirely different from the usual Western like The Great Silence and Four of the Apocalypse). I liked the framing and sound design. I thought the dubbing was generally good, it needed a little bit of clean up as you mentioned but it wasn't a deal breaker. I didn't quite like the lead actor, everyone else I thought was very good. Knowing my luck you probably played the lead actor and I unintentionally insulted you, if so I apologize beforehand, if not let's pretend I didn't write this sentence.

I caught a few homages too. Only suggestion I could make is that it felt like it needed film grain. Not like a Rodriguez/Grindhouse homage or anything like that. But a little bit of grain would give the film more of an edge.

I hope this project will be a success for you.
          "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Thanks man. The lead actors a prick so you can bad mouth him all you want. I do think he's a good actor though but his performance is badly hampered by him desrting the set a few days before the end so he couldnt do his own dubbing. Guess who had to step into the breach? Well an actor I am not but I was out of options.

Would have been nice to shoot on film but not many have that luxury these days. I hate fake grain so didnt want to lay that in. Feels hacky to me.

I Appreciate you putting in the time though man.good to hear a straight, honest response.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I've been there. I think the hardest thing to get out of people is an honest and thorough response from something that you put a lot of time and money into. Internet culture has conditioned people to give a quick and thoughtless one word reply these days.

Comment

True

Comment

I see what you did there.

Comment

Is it still available for download? I'll watch it.

Comment

Should still be up there. Never quite figured out dropbox but I haven't taken it down so I assume its still there.

Comment

Working...
                      X