No announcement yet.

John Waters' Films Coming To Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A poster over at the Blu-ray.com forum said he went to see John Waters' Christmas show and he said that Criterion might be releasing Pink Flamingos.

Comment

Would be nice. I wonder if that would ever get a UK release, the last time it went to the BBFC it was butchered. Not sure if they'd treat the chicken scene as bestiality.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

According to their website, it finally passed uncut in 2008 for a potential DVD release that was cancelled. I reckon it'll be fine if they attempt to submit it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Epic Bisto View Post
          According to their website, it finally passed uncut in 2008 for a potential DVD release that was cancelled. I reckon it'll be fine if they attempt to submit it again.
          Cheers. Fingers crossed they don't do one of their famous "we've consulted with the public and now..." U-turns. Shame that the distributor didn't pursue it all the way to getting a certificate as Criterion could probably not even bother resubmitting it. Now it will be down to whatever way the BBFC decide to apply their own guidelines on that day. This is assuming that Entertainment no longer hold the rights, it seems like their New Line stuff has mostly expired.

Comment

You never know. If Criterion are putting it out they should probably be aware that it poses no problems at the board. I can't imagine them just going ahead and shoving stuff like SWEET MOVIE at the BBFC (a damn shame since I love that film and it's crying out for a blu-ray upgrade) - it would be like that company (Odeon?) that licensed a whole batch of Something Weird DVDs and had to remove tons of trailers and short film subjects (THE AMAZING TRANSPLANT also lost a fair amount of footage).

Are Entertainment In Video still in business?

Comment

This is pretty cool.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                Cheers. Fingers crossed they don't do one of their famous "we've consulted with the public and now..." U-turns. Shame that the distributor didn't pursue it all the way to getting a certificate as Criterion could probably not even bother resubmitting it. Now it will be down to whatever way the BBFC decide to apply their own guidelines on that day. This is assuming that Entertainment no longer hold the rights, it seems like their New Line stuff has mostly expired.
                Kind of reminds me of the Video Nasty "Snuff" being passed UNCUT by the BBFC but the idiots who submitted it NEVER released it.

Comment

I think the BBFC would be reticent to 'touch' PINK FLAMINGOS today as it's pretty canonical. In '08, the BBFC issued a statement about their decision to grant the film an uncut certificate - which covers the chicken scene and other previously contentious moments... https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/cas...pink-flamingos

Which reminds me, I still haven't bought Criterion's POLYESTER. Has anyone seen the UK release of that for a decent price (ie, below £15)?
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                    I think the BBFC would be reticent to 'touch' PINK FLAMINGOS today as it's pretty canonical. In '08, the BBFC issued a statement about their decision to grant the film an uncut certificate - which covers the chicken scene and other previously contentious moments... https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/cas...pink-flamingos

Which reminds me, I still haven't bought Criterion's POLYESTER. Has anyone seen the UK release of that for a decent price (ie, below £15)?
                    No, but it's absolutely worth the extra £2.99, even if the scratch and sniff card scents aren't the same as the original theatrical ones. Treat yourself!

Comment

No, but it's absolutely worth the extra £2.99, even if the scratch and sniff card scents aren't the same as the original theatrical ones. Treat yourself!
                      Argh, I'm a tight arse... but I think you've persuaded me :)
                      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Ah, well, I was in HMV earlier today and they had a copy for £17.99 - so I bought it. Might watch (and smell :D ) it tonight.

Comment

Pink Flamingos being released by Crtieron in June?

https://time.com/6148756/john-waters...w-maisel-2022/

"For those of us who grew up loving him, it’s gratifying to see Waters, in his filth-elder era, enjoy the same open-mindedness he’s promoted for decades. Call him an accepted radical, cherished by cinephiles and cultists as well as the little kids who flock to him at airports following his cameo in an Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. Waters had a recurring role in the recent final season of madcap millennial self-parody Search Party; one of its stars, John Early, told Seth Meyers that the director “created the entire sensibility that the show lives in.” Waters says he’s flattered by the comparison—and he gets it. “Millennium Maniacs would be a great title” for the show, he jokes, pointing out that his character, who sells babies to gay couples, parallels a story line in Flamingos. (Once banned in multiple countries, that movie entered the National Film Registry last year and will get a 50th-anniversary Criterion Collection reissue in June.)"
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

"...the little kids who flock to him at airports..."

That's the best thing I've ever read.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              "...the little kids who flock to him at airports..."

That's the best thing I've ever read.
                              One of my proudest moments as a parent was when my daughter was 10 and saw Mr. Waters on TV and said "He's the coolest, and I love everything he does".

Comment

Fun interview with Waters on the NY Times website today.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...interview.html
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X