Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
    Marc Morris posted this on FB yesterday:

"The big news most people seem to have missed yesterday from John Waters was the fact that he is working on a new release of Multiple Maniacs and the music is currently being cleared."
    Crazy. My wife asked him just a few months ago (during the Q&A at a spoken-word / Carsick signing) if he would EVER release the old stuff (Multiple Maniacs / Mondo Trasho / Eat You Makeup / Diane Linkletter Story / Roman Candles / Hag in a Black Leather Jacket) - and he said "absolutely not." He talked about the music rights and whatnot (I'd heard him say it before many years ago).

So I'm pleasantly surprised to hear he has changed his mind. My interest stops with Polyester (which I think was the beginning of the decline) - but everything prior to that was aces.

Comment

Water's favorite films of 2014: https://artforum.com/inprint/issue=201410&id=49103
      LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

"Director John Waters, shown here in an over-Botoxed fake portrait, will screen a new 74-minute video at Marianne Boesky Gallery at his exhibition that opens there on January 9, 2015. Since Waters hasn't released a feature-length film since 2004's A Dirty Shame, this is basically the closest the master of camp has come to a new movie in over a decade.

Called Kiddie Flamingos, the video depicts a table read of Waters' 1972 film Pink Flamingos, which is as full of any kind of obscenity and depravity that one would hope to imagine-only here it's been recast as a children's movie, with child actors and all the X-Rated content “defanged and desexualized,” according to the gallery, which also calls this G-rated version “more perverse than the original.”"

http://www.artnews.com/2014/12/19/jo...oesky-in-2015/
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Marc Morris posted this on FB yesterday:

"The big news most people seem to have missed yesterday from John Waters was the fact that he is working on a new release of Multiple Maniacs and the music is currently being cleared."
          Great news if it holds. Completely unexpected.

Comment

Rented Polyester in HD on Amazon the other night, and it looked fantastic in HD. Really wish Warner would prioritize and get John's catalog out on BD, as well as Lumet's Prince of the City.

Comment

Would love Female Trouble on BD. Criterion should do an Eclipse set.

Comment

They need to do FEMALE TROUBLE, plus PINK FLAMINGOS and DESPERATE LIVING. The only DVD that New Line didn't botch was for DESPERATE. Why did they feel the need to put a matte on the other two? I still only have FEMALE on VHS, which is a copy I dubbed from a rental, using the original box art from the version released by VEC (that was, unfortunately, a jittery copy, making it necessary to find a better tape). The thing that makes it special to me, though, is that I dubbed a bootleg copy of THE DIANE LINKLETTER STORY after the feature, making it sort of an early, homemade special edition. Yeah, I was obsessed with Waters.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

So it looks like Criterion are probably releasing Multiple Maniacs as they have restored it.

http://criterioncast.com/news/john-w...nd-janus-films

Music is going to be changed...

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/joh...ms-1201712005/

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Great news, it's been over 20 years since I've seen it.

Comment

Music is going to be changed...
                      It is? All I read was: " There was a few music rights we had to deal with, a few things."

To me, that could mean they just had to pony up some money? It doesn't seem like a very 'Criterion thing' to alter the original music in a film.

Comment

I know it isn't always possible to clear everything, so it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't, but I agree that statement is a little vague and it could just be a reference to getting all the music licensed.

Comment

Still, a dream come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                            Still, a dream come true.
                            Absolutely. It's hard to believe it's actually coming out.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick King View Post
                              I know it isn't always possible to clear everything, so it wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't, but I agree that statement is a little vague and it could just be a reference to getting all the music licensed.
                              "The original 16mm black-and-white reverse positive has been scanned in 4K resolution and the mono soundtrack digitized in a restoration supervised by the director, sticking with his preferred European-style 1.66:1 aspect ratio. Waters has described the result as looking like "a bad John Cassavetes film," and the occasional lovingly preserved bit of schmutz on the lens only adds to the fragrantly raw effect. Given that much of the original music was lifted from Waters' record collection without rights clearance, a mostly new score has been added of jaunty rockabilly by George S. Clinton."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rev...cs-film-915917
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Ah, that's too bad. But like I said, it isn't a surprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X