Clear All

• Kino Releasing Shoot The Sun Down On Blu-ray 11/12/13

Coming to Blu-ray November 12, 2013.

Click image for larger version

Name:	91wbIq5f6kL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	363656

In this adventurous western set in 1836, four misanthropic people band together to find a golden treasure. But as they progress, members of the group, including a scalper, a gunman, an indentured female servant, and an aging sea captain begin double and triple-crossing each other in hopes of getting all the gold for themselves. This classic western in the tradition of Sergio Leone's ''Man With No Name'' trilogy stars Academy Award Winner Christopher Walken (The Deer Hunter), Margot Kidder (Superman: The Movie), Geoffrey Lewis (The Devil's Rejects) and A Martinez (Curse of Chucky) and has been out of circulation for over 30+ years (and has not been seen in it's original aspect ratio since it's theatrical release in 1978). Director David Leeds has supervised this beautiful new high definition widescreen transfer for it's Blu-ray debut, and has added missing footage that has never been seen, finally competing the picture he originally intended to make.

BONUS FEATURES: Alternate opening title sequence (featuring music by Kinky Friedman), Original Theatrical Trailer, Photo Gallery

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Click image for larger version

Name:	shootTheSunDown.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	344061

This release is so unexpected it's a wtf moment. SHOOT THE SUN DOWN is a primitive low-budget independent western that works hard to get the details of the flintlock transition into cap 'n ball period right. Not many westerns try to recreate the the 1830s; offhand only the first episode of CENTENNIAL (2 1/2 hour telefilm) (also 1978) comes to mind. A grungy hardboiled tale about treasure hunters and native superstition that you don't see every day. I've only seen it on vhs, but I've always liked it.

Any glimpse of Margot Kidder in the mid-1970s is worth paying for.

A most welcome release and a day one purchase.

More films like this, please, Kino.
    Richard--W
    a straight arrow
    Last edited by Richard--W; 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

The tape clocks in at 92 minutes, and the blu-ray is 100 minutes. Hopefully the additional footage will be of Margot Kidder. Her next film was Superman.

Comment

I found an interview with director David Leeds, pretty interesting read with a lot of detail on the production. Never seen this or even heard of it but Richard's comments have gone a long way to selling me on it. That cast helps too.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I understand the film better now that I've read the interview with David Leeds. I understand where he's coming from, especially when he explains why he never made another film.

SHOOT THE SUN DOWN could be better. The pace is slow, and the set-ups are static. But the film still has a lot to offer. I recommend it.

Comment

Working...
          X