No announcement yet.

The "Horror" or gothic western

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The third GINGER SNAPS is set in the old west (or rather north). I liked it the best of the series. Takes place in a snowbound fort with everyone taking refuge from the wolves in the forest.
    This also makes it sound very watchable. I always presumed Ginger snaps was like the Twilight films, therefore never interested me. Am I completely wrong as usual?

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
      Well, if Universal do ever release it lets hope they don't use that vhs cover. The Original poster art (like Ian says) completely sells the film, whereas the vhs art makes me ignore it.
      Oh, definitely. The poster is just lovely. Here it is again:

"I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
      - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Looks like it should be a Mario Bava fim.

Comment

Let's not forget THE FIEND WHO WALKED THE WEST (1959) directed by Gordon Douglas himself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FiendWhoWalkedThewest-1958-Fox.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	343993

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
            Is this the one you mean:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7664[/ATTACH]
            Yeah that's the one. Pretty good gothic horror set in the Canadian frontier.

Gotta throw my two cents in wanting to see that Curse of the Undead, poster and descrition looks amazing!
            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              This also makes it sound very watchable. I always presumed Ginger snaps was like the Twilight films, therefore never interested me. Am I completely wrong as usual?
              Yes, they aren't Twilighty at all, all three are very good. First two take place in the present. Last one takes place in the past with basically the same characters same actresses but holds no real continuity and could be watched on its own.
              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I also have an example from Australia on disc somewhere which I should get around to watching, called Inn of the Damned.

Here's how Mondo Digital describes it:

Best known to moviegoers as the sinister Mrs. Danvers in Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca, stage legend Dame Judith Anderson made her horror debut (and farewell) in this unlikely hybrid of suspense, sex and spaghetti western, one of the first Aussie shockers to get notable distribution abroad (and even a VHS release from Paragon). The plot follows intrepid hired gun Cal Kincaid (Alex Cord, fresh off Chosen Survivors and The Etruscan Kills Again) as he investigates a dusty western town where a coachman has a nasty habit of turning his customers over to a pair of homicidal hostel owners (led by Judy) who enjoy killing off their guests. Lots of beautiful scenery, dining, and butt-naked running around pad out the story a bit too much for comfort, but it's certainly a unique attempt at a grisly oater (similar to the much stronger Cut-Throats Nine) and worth seeking out for the curious.

Comment

Forgive me for making a fuss, Apronikoff, I don't mean to be mean, but if a film is shot in Australia and made in Australia by Australians with Australian place names, customs, and speech than it ain't a western, no matter what they call it or how they advertise it. It might be a really a good film that apes American films, but it ain't a western. No sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    Forgive me for making a fuss, Apronikoff, I don't mean to be mean, but if a film is shot in Australia and made in Australia by Australians with Australian place names, customs, and speech than it ain't a western, no matter what they call it or how they advertise it. It might be a really a good film that apes American films, but it ain't a western. No sir.
                    Racist.

Comment

Could be Western Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Apronikoff View Post
                        Racist.
                        Culturist. Culture-ist.

Comment

I'll have to politely side with Richard Apronikoff. And I say that as a massive Aussiephile. I am interested in INN though and do find films shot in certain parts of Australia to have a bit of the old west American vibe.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I saw PURGATORY on TV years ago and was quite taken with it so I've gone ahead and ordered the DVD. I love Eric Roberts when he plays bad guys and Sam Shepard fits into Westerns like a comfortable old shoe - he's instantly credible and I love his laconic style. THE HANGED MAN looks neat - I've always enjoyed Steve Forrest. The Night Gallery episode "The Waiting Room" where he plays a murderous gunslinger with a who's who of Western movie legends including Jim Davis and Buddy Ebsen is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

BLACK NOON I have on a rip somewhere.

Just ordered AND GOD SAID TO CAINE - that one sounds so far up my alley it's parked in my colon and STALKING MOON. I also have a Peter Lee Lawrence Wild East double feature that is billed as "2 gothic westerns" so we'll see.

Some of the others I'll check out soon.

Comment

I'd call AND GOD SAID TO CAINE more of a thriller than a Gothic. Wild East started shipping it this week, finally.

Sam Raimi's THE QUICK AND THE DEAD (1995) with Sharon Stone has definite Gothic pretensions, even in the production design. It's more like a spaghetti western than an American, even though it was shot at Mescal, Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                              The Beguiled !!!! (How could I forget this off my first list?)
                              Was just going to ask the same thing
                              It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

I love THE BEGUILED. Where's that Blu?

Comment

Working...
                                X