Gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity

George Clooney and Sandra Bullock? SIGN ME UP.

Actually in all seriousness, this trailer is kinda... neat.

Press blurb thing:

"A new trailer for Warner Bros. "Gravity." - a heart-pounding thriller that pulls you into the infinite and unforgiving realm of deep space.

Directed by Alfonso Cuarí³n film starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney

Bullock plays Dr. Ryan Stone, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney) in command of his last flight before retiring. But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone—tethered to nothing but each other and spiraling out into the blackness.

The deafening silence tells them they have lost any link to Earth...and any chance for rescue. As fear turns to panic, every gulp of air eats away at what little oxygen is left.

But the only way home may be to go further out into the terrifying expanse of space. "
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'm not sure I'm interested in seeing the film but neat trailers. Good to see someone doing something different on that front for a change.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I'm probably going to check this one out. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/enter...t-world/68810/

Comment

Re: Gravity

They seem to be defying physics. If they have enough force to move perpendicularly from the station they would not travel straight down with the station. If the station is traveling 17,000 mph, the it would be about four miles from them in one second. Even at much slower speed it would be a long way away in just a foot of their movement. If they did not have gravity as a factor, ironically the scene would make more sense.

Hollywood again creating their own reality. This is why I prefer B movies, since usually less pretension.
          rushmore
          Last edited by rushmore; 09-12-2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I'd drink the bag from Sandy's suit.

Comment

Saw this last night in a surprisingly crowded theater for a Monday night - it did gangbusters over the weekend too - and liked it quite a bit. The f/x were pretty spectacular, as was the 3D (This is one of the better 3D films I've seen, and I am pretty much tired of it in general). I bet this would be fantastic on an IMAX screen. Definitely one to catch in a theater if you're interested, the bigger the screen the better. Clooney is fine, Bullock okay for the most part, she did get a little annoying in a couple sequences (avoiding any spoilers). Even managed to make me feel a little freaked when they are bobbing around in space. One gnarly space corpse too.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Looks really good to me. We're going to see it in 3-D today.
                "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I'm fashionably late to the party and watching this now whilst working. The CGI is terribly distracting (imo) and Bullock's constant gasping is grating on my nerves. (I bet that 20 years ago, I never imagined I'd say that.) I'm not sure why Clooney's character had to give up the proverbial ghost and leave the show about half an hour in: that all felt a little too by-the-books-contrived-Hollywood-screenwriting, raising the stakes for Bullock and giving her a death to 'avenge'.

I'll stick with it but it's not floating my boat (or sending me into orbit - geddit? Geddit?) I imagine on the big screen, it's quite a traumatic experience. (The whole concept of floating around in space is the stuff of nightmares for me, frankly.)

The space corpse was pretty cool though, like Andrew said
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Maybe seeing it at home robbed me of the experience. Annoying Sandra Bullock spinning through space and grabbing stuff for 2 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                      Maybe seeing it at home robbed me of the experience. Annoying Sandra Bullock spinning through space and grabbing stuff for 2 hours.
                      I have a feeling I will agree with this when I get around to watching it....One of a handful of films I pretty much think should ONLY be watched ib a theater.

Comment

Saw it at home on netflix and liked it -- enough to watch it twice, actually. But then I also liked Interstellar, and that got a lot of shit from people.
                        www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

Originally posted by rushmore View Post
                          They seem to be defying physics. If they have enough force to move perpendicularly from the station they would not travel straight down with the station. If the station is traveling 17,000 mph, the it would be about four miles from them in one second. Even at much slower speed it would be a long way away in just a foot of their movement. If they did not have gravity as a factor, ironically the scene would make more sense.
                          The physics in the movie was awfully wrong, but it doesn't matter that the station was moving at any speed. It doesn't affect at all the speed at which characters wander away.

Comment

Working...
                          X