Cyborg (Albert Pyun)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyborg (Albert Pyun)

Watched this one yesterday, with a lot of beer in me, after not having seen it in probably a good decade if not longer.

When I was younger, upon first viewing, I was pretty sure that this was the greatest movie ever. Now, as an adult revisiting it through beer tinted glasses, I'm sure of it.

Why, Ian? Why do you feel this way? Is it because JCVD is so dreamy in it? Nope. He's pretty dreamy but he's not the reason.

Is it because it has a cyborg in it? Nope. The movie could have been called Not-Cyborg and been just as effective.

It must be because of those awesome matte paintings at the beginning and end, right? No, those are cool and they help, but that's not it either.

Huh. Then it's got to be the excessive violence and the naked boobies, right? Well, those are great too, but no. That's not it.

This is it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cyborg_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	363474

He's got weird blue eyes, he'll cut you, he growls and yells his dialogue and he'll fight you to the death. He makes this movie.

He is rad.

Also, JCVD gets crucified, which is weird. Also the movie has weird gatling gun things and eyes that hold data and stuff.

That is all.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Also... rad poster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	poster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	343411
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wanted to see it so bad when it came out, because I loved Bloodsport.

My parents wouldn't let me.

Bipolar Sad Face.

Comment

So you've never seen it?
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

That's actually being remedied in the next 24 hours. :up:

Comment

Excellent. I look forward to gushing about it's greatness with you then.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

We'll have a Cyborg summit at the Scooby-Doo cottage.

Comment

It got sold! You missed your chance.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

It better stay haunted.

Comment

I love your enthusiasm Ian but damn I hate CYBORG. It disappointed back when I was a teenager and bored me to tears just a few months ago. Ya, the villain is cool and there is a few decent fights, but its slow and features one of JVCD's least interesting characters.

CYBORG and THE QUEST are the only JVCD flicks from 1988 to 1997 (BLOODSPORT to DOUBLE TEAM) that I don't care for.

After the NEMESIS sequels and SPITFIRE I was about to give up on Albert Pyun entirely. My faith was somewhat restored last week when I watched RAVENHAWK (CYBORG's villian, Vincent Klyn has a small role as a henchman). It has a cast full of familar faces and kept a good pace. The main draw is the super hot Rachel McLish who is a convincing fighter. It's shame she didn't get more roles.

Comment

OOOhhh.How young and clean does Van Damme look in this!!!!

I dont think I ever say this movie....Been scratching my head about it since the thread came up..but no, I have NO recollection of seeing it before....

I think I just lost my membership to the Van Damme Fan Club!!!

Comment

Membership revoked!

Jason - Ravenhawke sounds rad. Will check that out. I loved all the weird little bits that made Cyborg the movie that it is. Can't say that I agree it was slow, but maybe because I was nerding out over the rampant ridiculousness of it all I didn't really pay that much attention to the pacing. I can say though that it didn't feel slow to me. Beer helps though.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I'll return my photo ID to you in the mail Swede...sorry to have let you down!!

Not sur e I am brave enough to give this a FIRST viewing in 2013...Might have to get the beers in on a Saturday night and load it up...see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                            I love your enthusiasm Ian but damn I hate CYBORG. It disappointed back when I was a teenager and bored me to tears just a few months ago. Ya, the villain is cool and there is a few decent fights, but its slow and features one of JVCD's least interesting characters.
                            I agree. Every few years I put it on hoping each time I find something in it to like. But it's a slog to get through each and every time. Sounds great on paper but the reality is a drag.

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                            CYBORG and THE QUEST are the only JVCD flicks from 1988 to 1997 (BLOODSPORT to DOUBLE TEAM) that I don't care for.
                            THE QUEST however, I love! One of my favorite JCVD movies. Love the period piece-ness of it and the island location. It's the closest thing he did to a family adventure film. Moreso, IMO than STREETFIGHTER which with CYBORG are the two JCVD movies of that era that I cannot stand. I never seen KNOCKOFFS tho', I think that came after DOUBLE TEAM so not sure if it counts.
                            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Mark if you haven't seen WAKE OF DEATH, IN HELL, UNTIL DEATH, or UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENRATION and DAY OF RECKONING, I'd see those first before seeing CYBORG. Hell, I'd watch any other JCVD movie before watching CYBORG.

All his other sci-fi movies are better. REPLICANT, TIME COP, the UNI-Sol flicks.
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Working...
                              X