This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Criterion Titles....

So Criterion just released this drawing, a teaser for what they're going to be releasing in the coming months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wackynewyear_2010a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	362543

Some interesting speculation on what the drawing means going on here.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I can't wait to get Blow Out in March!! I am so excited they're releasing it.

Comment

Me three! I didn't see that one coming.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming from Criterion in April...

Name:	91xlDEdAlQL__AA1500_.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	337956

I've already got the standard definition Criterion release and the barebones Universal Blu-ray. I really won't want to buy this again.... but I know I fill.

Fuckers.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And coming in April, another one I have on standard def that I know I'm going to upgrade....

Name:	51tcb3kfskL.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	337957

Bring on Le Samourai.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Another April release - I know nothing about this movie.

Name:	51Vnq5Xq86L.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	337958
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some more April releases I know nothing about...

Name:	51cArDegeEL.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	337959

Name:	51qYvdnIONL.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	337960
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

What the chick in the miniskirt and fat arse meant to be? A Tinto Brass title perhaps?

Comment

No idea what she represents but I'd bet my left nut it's got nothing to do with Brass. I'd love to be wrong though.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yup, i'm all over that Criterion blu if they don't leave off the extras from the standard DVD .

Comment

That'd be the only reason they'd do it, to include the extras. The transfer on the Universal Blu-ray is already really good.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Hm. I wonder if they're going to use that transfer or do a new one? Wondering if it makes more sense to keep the Criterion DVD and get eth Universal blu, which is only around 10 bucks now.

Comment

From their latest newsletter:

Director Basil Dearden made thirty-five films over the course of a career that stretched from the 1940s to the 1970s, dabbling in comedy, suspense, melodrama, and even horror (he was one of the artists behind the ghostly omnibus Dead of Night). But it was in the late fifties and early sixties, after he left Ealing Studios to produce his own films independently with partner Michael Relph, that this unsung master of British cinema made his most important and gripping work—socially committed, noirish dramas that delved into incendiary material. Four of these films are collected in our latest Eclipse series, Basil Dearden's London Underground: Sapphire, about the investigation of a shocking racially motivated murder; The League of Gentlemen, a smash-hit thriller about a bank heist orchestrated by disgruntled former soldiers; the controversial Victim, perhaps Dearden's most famous film, starring Dirk Bogarde as a barrister coming to terms with his homosexuality; and All Night Long, an audacious transposition of Othello to London's smoky jazz scene.

FOUR-DVD BOX SET INCLUDES:
                          SAPPHIRE

The investigation of the murder of a young woman on Hampstead Heath leads to a confrontation with the profound racial intolerance underlying London society.

THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN

In this deft adventure, a disillusioned former military man (Jack Hawkins) rages against the machine by assembling a crew of now disreputable World War II veterans (including Richard Attenborough and Roger Livesey) to commit an elaborate heist.

VICTIM

Matinee idol Dirk Bogarde bravely embodies a married lawyer who risks exposure to fight a homophobic blackmailer preying on him and other closeted men, in Dearden's landmark thriller, which was made in protest against laws forbidding homosexuality in England.

ALL NIGHT LONG

Jealousy and betrayal send an anniversary party at a London nightclub spinning out of control in this provocative melodrama, based on Othello and featuring rare on-screen appearances by jazz legends Charles Mingus and Dave Brubeck.

Available now!
                          SRP: $59.95
                          Criterion Store price: $47.96

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Effing hell on that box set. Wow. Mostly for League but, still...
                            It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Info from today's CC newletter:

"We will be announcing new Blu-ray and DVD editions of Solaris as part of our May lineup. We now know that the black-and-white scenes in the film were meant to be tinted blue, and we have updated the feature accordingly. The supplements from the original DVD will not change.

The old DVD edition is officially out of print. However, we are offering it at a 65% discount from the SRP at criterion.com (use the promotion code RHEYA at checkout). We have a limited supply and will fulfill orders as soon as we can."
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X