X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrow Releasing Runaway Train on Blu-ray

Runaway Train Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD

DESPERATE AND DETERMINED TO SURVIVE

Two convicts break out of Stonehaven Prison in the dead of winter, boarding a freight train with the intention of getting as far away as possible before their notoriously sadistic warden finds out. But the brakes fail and the driver has a heart attack, sending hundreds of tons of metal hurtling through the snowy Alaskan wastes at terrifying and unstoppable speed.

Based on a script by Akira Kurosawa (Seven Samurai), with hardboiled prison slang added by real-life ex-con Edward Bunker (Mr Blue in Reservoir Dogs), this riveting thriller also boasts Oscar-nominated performances from Jon Voight and Eric Roberts - with Voight playing spectacularly against type as a criminal so vicious that he served much of his sentence welded into his cell.

Combining electrifying action with constant psychological tension (the only surviving member of the train crew is a young, inexperienced woman), Runaway Train is one of cinema's great thrill-rides.

Special Features:
    - High Definition transfer of the film prepared by MGM for the Cannes Film Festival premiere
    - High Definition Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the film
    - Optional English SDH Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    - From Thespian to Fugitive - Star Jon Voight shares his memories of his Academy Award-nominated role
    - Running on Empty - An Interview with director Andrei Konchalovsky
    - The Calm Before the Chaos - Co-star Kyle T. Heffner remembers Runaway Train
    - Booklet featuring new writing on the film and a new interview with Runaway Train's Production Designer Stephen Marsh conducted by Calum Waddell, illustrated with rare behind-the-scenes production images

Released 22nd July

Click image for larger version

Name:	r1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	363340

Click image for larger version

Name:	r2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	363341
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

FUCKING overdue! Will be nice to have this as I get tired of flipping two LD's over to watch a decent print...
    It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Arrow Releasing Runaway Train on Blu-ray

Damn. No Roberts commentary.

Still day one pickup for me.

Comment

Twilight Time have this lined up for release soon and announced that they've recorded a commentary with Eric Roberts, David Del Valle and Courtney Joyner.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

nice.

i've been waiting for this one.

any other features? i do not have the Arrow one but i know there was a LD that had a short behind the scenes deal about this. was paired with something else...

love this movie. would be cool if Danny Trejo was somehow involved too. maybe an interview cuz he and Ed Bunker were friends. was pretty excited to hear the commentary from those 2 on the Animal Factory disc but it was kinda boring/quiet. i think Trejo was more talkative than Bunker tho.

anyway, excited for this upgrade

Comment

sometimes out loud i'll say,"Maybe I can makea halfa mile."

Comment

the making of LD. Runaway Train was paired with 52 Pick-Up

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/04112/...ain/52-Pick-Up

Comment

New commentary? I'm kind of torn...I have the Arrow, so 30 bucks is steep, but I love this film.

Comment

have any review copies of this been sent out?

the release was delayed by a week. going to listen to it anyway but curious how the commentary is

Comment

i enjoyed the commentary. some funny things in there about Cannon. covered lots of ground.

compared to the old double-sided dvd it looks and sounds great.

Moby Diesel

Comment

Considering its pedigree, RUNAWAY TRAIN is a bit of a disappointment. Acclaimed Russian Director Andrey Konchalovskiy. A Screenplay based on an Akira Kurosawa story. Three Oscar nominations: both stars, Jon Voigt and Eric Roberts, as well as for Editing. It's a decent enough Prison Break thriller, but, it's often so broad as to elicit more laughs than suspense. Cannon hired a better top of the line crew than usual -- this being firmly in their Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson action era -- but, it's still pretty typical of their output in the end.

The basic idea isn't bad, and the added element of the runaway train certainly is a plus. The action, stunts and camerawork are all good (although the train doesn't seem to be traveling all that fast in some of the long shots). Trevor Jones' synth score works in fits and starts and is definitely emblematic of the time period.

The acting is all over the place with Voight and Roberts truly giving it their all. John P. Ryan's evil warden character even has a Snidely Whiplash mustache to twirl! It's fortunate for the trio that the film takes place in the Alaska wilderness with plenty of scenery to chew -- and, oh do they! It's hard to imagine that much dialogue was taken from Kurosawa's screenplay, with all the F-bombs and other vulgar epitaphs. Rebecca DeMornay is along for the ride to include at least one female one supposes. Co-Writer Eddie Bunker appears along with Danny Trejo in his screen debut.

The ending has a nice touch or two with Voight delivering some of his best moments in the film and Konchalovskiy shows some of his better directorial moves as well.

A couple of years later, Golan and Globus paid Sylvester Stallone $10M to be in OVER THE TOP (as much if not more than the entire budget of RUNAWAY TRAIN). Cannon could very well have used that title here.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
                        Considering its pedigree, RUNAWAY TRAIN is a bit of a disappointment.
                        hardcore disagreement.

one of my most rewatched. one of the few to make me a bit teary

not a fan of Voight or Roberts or DeMornay but this one just works for me.

fucken love this movie.

think Bunker's smile at the end kinda seals it too.

cliched term but absolutely haunting

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post

think Bunker's smile at the end kinda seals it too.
                          As I noted, the ending does have a certain grace to it. And, some of the acting is fine, but, it's just broad and uneven to really nail it.

Comment

Working...
                          X