where's David Lynch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where's David Lynch?

The trailer for Only God Forgives made me aware of how much I miss David Lynch.

His last film was in 2006 - Inland Empire.

Nothing from him since.

How awful.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Supposedly he's retired. According to Abel Ferrara anyway. He's been working on an album.

His own coffeee.

http://www.javadistribution.com/coff...rganic-coffee/

And he voices a character in one of those terrible Seth Mcfarlane shows.

The Cleveland Show.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

That's bread and butter work. His coffee frightens me. I don't believe he's retired from directing as a matter of choice. Like Ken Russell, he's odd and can't be controlled so the studios and financiers won't give him any money to make his movies.

Comment

He could always go with Kickstarter.

Comment

He's been very busy creating artwork and working with his transcendental meditation foundation. I think the reason he hasn't made a film in a while is that he's so dependent on intuition - if the film ideas are not coming he just has to wait and create other things in the meantime. It's not like he just picks from whichever scripts land on his desk. Fortunately he's working on a new script.

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-lynch...ll-from-grace/

Comment

More music..

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
              He could always go with Kickstarter.

He knows all about kickstarter..his son made one for his student film...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-lynch-project

Comment

Last November he indicated that he still intended to make another film:

The visionary behind Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive spoke to ScreenDaily at Poland's Plus Camerimage, the international film festival of the art of cinematography.

Asked whether filmgoers should expect a new feature, Lynch said: “Something is coming up. It will happen but I don't know exactly when.”
                The rest of the article is quite enjoyable and definitely recommended reading for Lynch fans.

Comment

Comment

I disliked INLAND EMPIRE very much. While I understand that it does have its fans, I would personally like that to not be the last film he makes.

Comment

Good point, Mark.

At 180 minutes INLAND EMPIRE is too long to sustain its story. This happens with improvisations. Lynch wanted to experiment to see where actors could go with the guideline he provided on a scene by scene basis. Cassavetes had a similar problem with THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE except that he did cut it down to a focused narrative, and both versions are on Criterion's DVD. The shorter version is not that short but it is definitely the better film. If Lynch had cut INLAND EMPIRE down to 120 minutes, or tightened it up on the page before shooting it, he'd have a first-rate surrealist-thriller at 120 minutes. But I think that riffing on these ideas and meandering down these byways is precisely what Lynch enjoyed the most. He holds on to a scene long after it has peaked or made its point. He didn't have the heart to cut it. Brilliant individual bits and pieces are sandwiched between mundane repetition. There might actually be two films in INLAND EMPIRE trying to kick their way out.

If Lynch makes another film, I hope he will let go of the good-girl-goes-wrong-in-Hollywoodland theme that he's been exploring since MULHOLLAND DR in 2001. No more films about Hollywood, please.

Comment

I loved INLAND EMPIRE and had no problem with its length but he's going to have to change his approach or he could wind up going over the same ground again. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Comment

INLAND EMPIRE was a major disappointment for me. It may be the only film Lynch has made that I can say with some confidence that I'd never watch it again.

Comment

I thought Inland Empire lacked focus. It's not technically bad but it really needed someone willing to edit it down to a manageable length.

Comment

I really do love Lynch, even though he's done a few films that I don't particularly care for...but I've never outright disliked a film of his like I did INLAND EMPIRE. Once I got past admiring the beauty of the film...pretty much after the first half hour, I zoned in and out of being interested. The film was PAINFULLY long, in my opinion, but I definitely agree with Richard's assessment that there are some great ideas in there.

The other problem that I had with it is that the blu-ray looks atrocious because of the resolution it was shot at. I understand that Danny Boyle's 28 DAYS LATER suffered from a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X