Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by King-Wasp View Post
    Timothy Carey has a few minutes screen time
    Of course, he steals every minute. Such a weird, wonderful actor.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	large_z2huGXKz6vlLT3MFbceCid7u7B5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	352318

I ordered this today. I've always wanted to see it and was pleased to learn that Warner Archives re-released it last October.

Comment

• I don't think you'll be disappointed. A fine little film. An inherently backward looking film that in retrospect becomes a kind of elegy to the personal films of the 70s.

Comment

• Acquired and watched a double feature of MARATHON MAN and BLACK SUNDAY. Frankly was more curious about BLACK SUNDAY but liked MARATHON MAN better. Primary draw for BLACK SUNDAY was Bruce Dern, who did not disappoint. Got off to an uninteresting start and the end had some bad special effects, but still an enjoyable movie. Makes me wonder if I should check out TWO-MINUTE WARNING.

Comment

• The dope trifecta...

Trash (1970)
            Ciao! Manhattan (1972)
            Dusty and Sweets McGee (1971)

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
              I've been craving this genre lately. Stuff like Short Eyes, The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 and Death Wish. Stuff like that. What are your favorites?
              Still watching a ton of 70s movies, but I didn't want to bore you all to death with my uninformative one-sentence reviews. By way of a summary update, I saw PELHAM for the first time and was pretty blown away.

Also REALLY impressed with ACROSS 110TH STREET. So much so that I sought out another film from the director: THE TODD KILLINGS. Kind of spot-checked it when I got it and it looked boring, but it turned out to be quite engrossing. Extra points for it being shot in Tujunga. Fits into that genre of "bi-sexual Manson-ish movies that co-star Holly Near" along with ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO. You know, THOSE films.

Literally just finished watching PAYDAY, which was good, and even if it wasn't I would imagine it would interest many of you because it stars Rip Torn.

Have a bootleg of CRAZY JOE coming. It might not turn out to be great, but it has a lot of things going for it.

Comment

• And I finally saw NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER, which was, of course, great. Criminal that it's not on disc.

Comment

• Yes! NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER is sooo good. Crying shame there's no disc. I also really love ACROSS 110th STREET. Never thought to check out the directors other work. I should change that.
                  "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Love JUGGLER. Love to see a blu-ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                      Also REALLY impressed with ACROSS 110TH STREET. So much so that I sought out another film from the director: THE TODD KILLINGS. Kind of spot-checked it when I got it and it looked boring, but it turned out to be quite engrossing. Extra points for it being shot in Tujunga. Fits into that genre of "bi-sexual Manson-ish movies that co-star Holly Near" along with ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO. You know, THOSE films.
                      I really like Richard Thomas' performance in TODD KILLINGS. The scene where Skipper tries to get one of his groupies to bang him is pretty disturbing. This would make a good double-bill with RIVER'S EDGE.

I became interested in seeing TODD KILLINGS back in the '90s when I first heard this song by Angry Samoans:

Comment

• I've been watching a bunch of this genre and it seems like a prerequisite to these is that they MUST have a marching band playing "When The Saints Go Marching In"

Comment

• Originally posted by moviesludge View Post
                          I've been watching a bunch of this genre and it seems like a prerequisite to these is that they MUST have a marching band playing "When The Saints Go Marching In"
                          Lol. Now that you mention it, i think youre right :)

Comment

• Watched a great one tonight, THE DROWNING POOL from 1975. It stars Paul Newman as a smart-ass P.I. involved in a complex mystery in New Orleans. It's funny, stylish and the climax is amazing. It's a sequel to a 1966 film called HARPER, which I have not seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              Watched a great one tonight, THE DROWNING POOL from 1975. It stars Paul Newman as a smart-ass P.I. involved in a complex mystery in New Orleans. It's funny, stylish and the climax is amazing. It's a sequel to a 1966 film called HARPER, which I have not seen.
                              Both are based on the Lew Archer books by Ross Macdonald, my favourite 'hardboiled' author. They changed Archer's name to Harper for the '66 film. I like both movies, but for my money HARPER has the edge and I'd say it's worth checking out. I'd also recommend the books they're based on (THE MOVING TARGET and THE DROWNING POOL) and the other 16 Lew Archer novels. They're incredible. You'll wonder why Macdonald isn't spoken of in the same breath as Chandler and Hammett. (Actually, he is, but only in very limited circles seemingly.)
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                                I like both movies, but for my money HARPER has the edge and I'd say it's worth checking out.
                                I'll be checking it out soon.

Nice to see you back, Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                X