No announcement yet.

Gritty Realistic 70s Action/Dramas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, where's NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER anyway? I've a hankering...

Comment

FREEBIE AND THE BEAN is essential. It has some spectacular action scenes. Apparently, it was one of Kubrick's favourite films. The Warner Archives DVD has a great transfer, but the sound isn't very good.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
        Hey, where's NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER anyway? I've a hankering...
        It's on youtube, but I've hesitated to watch it because I've heard that the photography is really dark. What are the chances of this getting a Bluray release? Like Clive, I'm tired of waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
          Anybody care to tell me whether DUSTY AND SWEETS McGEE, out now on Warner Archives, is worth the investment? I've never seen this one; sounds interesting.

Three years later...

I enjoyed this one a lot, but it is in no way an action film.

Meanwhile, I have been thinking really hard about blind-buying PRIME CUT.

Comment

PRIME CUT is wonderful.

Comment

Next time I have two pennies to rub together, it will be mine.

Some other films that I like that might fit in this category:

BUSTING (mentioned earlier in the thread)
              HICKEY AND BOGGS
              ELECTRA GLIDE IN BLUE
              DEALING: OR THE BERKELEY-TO-BOSTON FORTY-BRICK LOST-BAG BLUES
              BONNIE'S KIDS
              THE CANDY SNATCHERS
              KIDNAPPED COED

Not sure how elastic this "genre" is, but I am also reminded of:

CISCO PIKE
              THE LONG GOODBYE
              ESCAPE TO PASSION
              NORTHVILLE CEMETERY MASSACRE
              STINGRAY
              THE OBSESSED ONE
              YALAN (1976)
              Marshall Crist
              Last edited by Marshall Crist; 06-29-2016, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                Three years later...

I enjoyed this one a lot, but it is in no way an action film.
                Thanks for the feedback, Marshall!
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Saw a great one the other day, John Flynn's THE OUTFIT. Robert Duvall starts robbing the mafia as payment for the death of his brother, with help from Joe Don Baker. Lots of action and tough guy dialogue.

Comment

I saw The Outfit on Turner Classic Movies a couple months back. It was pretty good & a nice surprise as I just ran across it along with having never heard of it before.

Is there a crime film called Bare Knuckles that has something to do with a serial killer? I remember it on video & catching it on late night tv. The main character may have been an unlicensed detective or a bare knuckle fighter...?

This is it: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075727/combined

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/i.../Bare_Knuckles
                    Keeth
                    Last edited by Keeth; 07-11-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Yeah! BARE KNUCKLES is very entertaining. Soundtrack is boss as well. This was released as a d/f dollar dvd & went out of print quick. Never grabbed it, but I still have the dvdr from my VHS.

Comment

BARE KNUCKLES has been on my most-wanted list for awhile. I'm tempted to buy the DVD-r from Just for the Hell of It.

Comment

So I watched NIGHT OF THE JUGGLER on youtube and it's even better than I expected. It's a very well-made thriller that has a phenomenal 10 minute chase sequence near the beginning and many more memorable set-pieces, including a great scene that takes place in a peep show booth. The youtube upload is perfectly watchable, too, except for the climax, which takes place in almost complete darkness. It's a mystery why this great film hasn't been released on disc. It's fucking awesome.

Comment

Yeah, that film is great. The dark scenes near the end are very problematic; nearly impossible to see on VHS, especially the Media tape.

Comment

Yeah NIGHT is yet another 70s gem.

Good to see others mention PRIME CUT. I would also include CHARLIE VARRICK by Don Siegel and WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN, perhaps the great CUTTER'S WAY but that is more thriller than action.

Loved the druggy 70s vibe of DUSTY AND SWEETS MCGEE but there is definitely no action in it that I can recall.
                              Randy G
                              Last edited by Randy G; 08-23-2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I haven't seen CHARLEY, but another good one by Siegel is MADIGAN, with an aging Richard Widmark playing a total badass detective searching for a psycho who gives him the slip in the opening scene.

Somebody else mentioned THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN, which is a pretty good police procedural with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern playing the investigators. The plot gets a bit confusing at times, but Dern gives the performance of his career.

Comment

Working...
                                X