Gritty Realistic 70s Action/Dramas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    I recently watched WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN for the first time. Searched "stop the rain" and this thread came up, although I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. Anyway, I liked it but didn't love it. Some things really clicked for me and others did not. Great cast, though, and some very good scenes. 70s drug dealer movies are hard to beat.
    Love that movie (thanks, Baz!)
    If you're ever looking for something with a similar vibe, check out CUTTER'S WAY. They're both very much about the effects Vietnam had on people after the war.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Thanks for the tip on CUTTER'S WAY.

Picked up FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE and watched that just now. Pretty damned gripping, although the ending was a tad flat.

Have JOE on order. Haven't seen it in decades. It will be interesting to see it again after all this time. My first exposure was actually the MAD (or CRACKED) satire.

Comment

Love EDDIE COYLE. I think Tarantino is a fan...
        Matt H.
        Last edited by Matt H.; 03-06-2017, 12:27 AM.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post

BORN TO WIN (1971) remains vastly under-rated. Avoid the cheap public domain editions. The U.K. edition is widescreen, anamorphic and uncut but the PAL speed-up is really high-pitched.
          Wow, this looks rather good. George Segal was on a hell of a roll back then. WHERE'S POPPA?, THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            Love EDDIE COYLE. I think Tarantino is a fan...
            Yeah, I was certainly reminded of his stuff while watching it!

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
              Thanks for the tip on CUTTER'S WAY.

Picked up FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE and watched that just now. Pretty damned gripping, although the ending was a tad flat.
              THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE has been one of my favourite films since I saw it during my teenage years; its extended absence from the DVD format was long a source of consternation for me.

CUTTER'S WAY is very good, and it's a film that needs a decent DVD/Blu-ray release; it's a thin adaptation of the novel on which it's based, however.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
                CUTTER'S WAY is very good, and it's a film that needs a decent DVD/Blu-ray release; it's a thin adaptation of the novel on which it's based, however.
                Twilight Time released on blu last year. Worth it for the isolated track of Jack Nitzsche's haunting score alone. Still available AFAIK
                Check out my F'dup Flix blog for more musings on disreputable films.

Latest post: The "Halloween" series

Comment

Gotta find the Cutter's Way novel. Love the movie, the death of the 60s vibe is nailed and the ending is perfect.

Comment

Just watched 3 DAYS OF THE CONDOR. Had seen roughly the last half on TV about 15 years ago and liked it. It's even better when you watch the first half before watching the second half.

Comment

• 3 DAYS OF THE CONDOR is yet another gem that use to play constantly on afternoon TV when I was a kid.

Comment

• Picked up the Blu-ray of THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT during the (ongoing) SAE sale. Had seen it once a few years back. Watched the first half last night and it was even better than I remembered. Great humor, beautiful scenery, engaging performances, interesting plot. I think I'm just going to watch 70s movies from here on out.

Comment

• Just watched BORN TO WIN for the first time. I was skeptical at first, but seeing a theater marquee with THE BODY BENEATH and GURU THE MAD MONK in the background of one scene didn't hurt. Eventually warmed to it. One of the things that 70s movies had in spades was underdog characters you could care about and root for. Is that still a thing?

Comment

• Watched JOE for the first time in over 30 years. Enjoyed it. Great time capsule of an era I love. I know the film is credited to John Avildsen, but I believe William Sachs (INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN) has stated that in his role as "Post-Production Supervisor" he was called in to delete lots of material and shoot new scenes which would drastically shift the focus of the film. Would like to know more details. Susan Sarandon is hot af in this, and is still oddly hot 45+ years later at 70 years old in the current FX series FEUD, which I am digging.

Have CINDERELLA LIBERTY on-deck, and just ordered SLITHER, which sounds amazing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
                              Watched JOE for the first time in over 30 years. Enjoyed it. Great time capsule of an era I love. I know the film is credited to John Avildsen, but I believe William Sachs (INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN) has stated that in his role as "Post-Production Supervisor" he was called in to delete lots of material and shoot new scenes which would drastically shift the focus of the film. Would like to know more details. Susan Sarandon is hot af in this, and is still oddly hot 45+ years later at 70 years old in the current FX series FEUD, which I am digging.

Have CINDERELLA LIBERTY on-deck, and just ordered SLITHER, which sounds amazing.
                              Interesting stuff. I gotta check out some early Susan Sarandon because I am a fan. And I have also been watching and digging FEUD. Now I have to watch WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE.

Comment

• I hope you enjoy it!

Comment

Working...
                                X