No announcement yet.

Gritty Realistic 70s Action/Dramas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, shit, just found out about and ordered THE SILENT PARTNER with Elliott Gould. This looks fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
      Oh, shit, just found out about and ordered THE SILENT PARTNER with Elliott Gould. This looks fun.
      You're in for a treat!
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

That's a really good 'un. I only 'discovered' it a couple of years - strange, as I thought I'd seen all of Gould's 1970s films.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

^Great to hear!

Hey, is this any good? https://www.amazon.com/Below-Belt-An...below+the+belt

Comment

^Great to hear!

Hey, is this any good? https://www.amazon.com/Below-Belt-An...below+the+belt
            I've never heard of it. Sounds similar to Robert Aldrich's ...ALL THE MARBLES, which is a very entertaining film about female wrestlers starring Peter Falk and Laurene Landon (who looks amazing and even shows some boobage during a mud-wrestling match). The climactic match is one of the best ever filmed - it's really mind-blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
              The moment at the end of the picture when Callahan fires the rocket launcher at one of the villains whilst calling him a 'fuckin' fruit' always makes my jaw hit the floor.
              Haha, I just watched THE ENFORCER the other day and I was wondering what he mumbled before he fired the rocket (it was on a movie channel, so I couldn't check the subtitles).

Comment

A couple of good ones that I like are: ROLLING THUNDER, THE KILLER INSIDE ME, WALKING TALL, & SERPICO.

Comment

I still haven't seen SERPICO all the way through, but I liked what I did see. Need to work on that. Never heard of KILLER INSIDE ME before, but it sounds VERY interesting.

Comment

I still haven't seen SERPICO all the way through, but I liked what I did see. Need to work on that. Never heard of KILLER INSIDE ME before, but it sounds VERY interesting.
                    Without looking it up, I think The Killer Inside Me stars Stacy Keach? I think the only time I've seen it was on cable tv or vhs. I've read Jim Thompson's book multiple times.

Walking Tall was a film I liked when I was a kid but I haven't seen it in a really, really long time.

Comment

SERPICO is a 70s classic and must see. KILLER INSIDE ME is worth watching for Keach but is just okay, I actually prefer Winterbottom's remake. WALKING TALL is amusing trash.

Comment

THE KILLER INSIDE ME is a gritty action-suspense-drama where Stacy Keach is a lawman that has this weird violent impulse he has to try to keep in check. It's a smaller sort of movie but I found it to be very enjoyable. Susan Tyrrell is also in it with a great performance. It makes a good double feature with FAT CITY (also starring Keach and Tyrrell) though FAT CITY is less grit and action and more drama/comedy.

Comment

FAT CITY is one of my favourite films of the 70s. Very much a downbeat character study. Huston's best film and a very good novel too.

Comment

Finally watched THE SILENT PARTNER and enjoyed it quite a bit. Was jonesing for more Elliott Gould, so ordered CAPRICORN ONE, which I saw in the theater as a wee lad. Got the old DVD for the audio commentary--my eyes aren't that good anyway.

Comment

THE SILENT PARTNER is a Canadian tax shelter co-production btw and use to get played all the time on afternoon TV in the 80s because of it.

Comment

I recently watched WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN for the first time. Searched "stop the rain" and this thread came up, although I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. Anyway, I liked it but didn't love it. Some things really clicked for me and others did not. Great cast, though, and some very good scenes. 70s drug dealer movies are hard to beat.

Comment

Working...
                                X