No announcement yet.

ONLY GOD FORGIVES (REFN 2013) TRAILER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me the narrative is solely based in the film's color schema - the ever-present reds, Gosling's blue, KST's gold, etc.,. Refn described it as an acid trip and I'd like to think that's pretty close to it.
    It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

Originally posted by Nolando View Post
      Seems to me the narrative is solely based in the film's color schema - the ever-present reds, Gosling's blue, KST's gold, etc.,. Refn described it as an acid trip and I'd like to think that's pretty close to it.
      Yep....REFN seems to be trying to create an ATMOSPHERE with the movie rather than a strict narrative ...a kind of EVENT ratehr than somethign that you sit back passively to watch.....

But I can see how lots of people will be pissed off with this movie when they see it for GOSLING....

I CANT however, understand how critics who OVERPRAISED Drive are now knocking this one...as it is virtually the same idea (albeit with less dialogue!)

Comment

Saw it on opening night here in PDX and wondered at all the gays in attendance - then realized: Gosling. But he's got, what, maybe 10 lines of dialogue in the movie?

And agreed on that last point - "critics" nowadays are like "journalists" in that most don't have any clue as to what they're doing at all.

Comment

I'll need a couple more viewings to be sure but I think I loved it. It played like the best movie Miike never directed as shot by Argento circa 1986. I thought Gosling was good. He's essentially a warm prop but it takes a special kind of actor to consent to that. To do very little and know the audience will get it takes a lot of confidence. Plus he's got those big sad cow eyes that are perfect for this film. That said Kristin Thomas is the highlight. Awesome character.

The one thing that annoys me here is the lack of dialogue. it's often impressive how Refn can tell his story visually but at the same time when you have two characters standing in front of each who should be talking it starts to feel like a pose. As with Drive it can get damned stilted at times. I guess I see why he's doing it. He wants these characters to feel mythic. Like gods of their own little worlds and dialogue can only shrink them but fuck it gets frustrating. I want to hear these characters speak.

I think that like with El Topo people who spend days with a film ripping it apart for it's symbolism are going to have a ball with this. It gets heavy handed sometimes but that doesn't really shrink the impact.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

US DVD and Blu-ray release through Anchor Bay slated for 10/22/13.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Just finished this one. Refn sure put his influences on his sleeve for this one, as has been pointed out. Violence in film normally doesn't have much of an effect on me, but I did partially turn away from the screen at one point. I wouldn't go as far as too say the film has no plot, it's pretty plot-driven...but it most definitely seems like it's driven by shot composition more than anything. For sure, it's more indulgent than Refn's previous films.

I'll watch it again on blu, just to pick up things I may have missed.

Comment

tried to see this at the theater, but it up and vanished today.

Comment

Be honest, Mark: That moment you turned away was when you got a chubbie seeing Gosling get the shit kicked out of him, wasn't it?

Comment

No.

I mean yes.

:D

And to be honest, it was the "You will not listen, so don't hear" scene...I think i'm paraphrasing there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                      No.

I mean yes.

:D

And to be honest, it was the "You will not listen, so don't hear" scene...I think i'm paraphrasing there.
                      I loved this scene. I loved this movie. My favorite film of 2013 so far. Not that I see many new films, mind you. I thought this was amazing, though I understand that it might not be for everyone. I don't understand some of the vitriol from some sides however. I think some people take it waaaaaaaay too seriously. I was howling with laughter the entire time. So much great exploitation film fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared A. View Post
                        I loved this scene. I loved this movie. My favorite film of 2013 so far. Not that I see many new films, mind you. I thought this was amazing, though I understand that it might not be for everyone. I don't understand some of the vitriol from some sides however. I think some people take it waaaaaaaay too seriously. I was howling with laughter the entire time. So much great exploitation film fun.

The mom cracked me right up. What a character.

Comment

I saw this in the cinema a couple of weeks ago and immediately recommended it to everyone I knew. Not so much because I thought it was a great film, but because I imagine it'll be a while before anything as wilfully oblique and batshit crazy as this gets a mainstream release ever again. That was a huge part of the joy of the film for me, being able to see something like this in a big cineplex with the kind of audience that turns up to see 'the new Ryan Gosling film'. I remember around the 15 minute mark, during the first scene between Gosling and the prostitute with all the long cutaways to hallway tracking shots, wondering what the fuck average cinema-goers would make of it.

Watching ONLY GOD FORGIVES is like being punched repeatedly in the face with primary colours. It's the most exhilarated I've felt watching a film in the long time, I was pulsing with adrenaline as I left the cinema. Beyond the sheer thrill of experiencing the film for the first time though, I'm not sure there's all that much to it. You could certainly spend plenty of time decoding the various images and thematic elements but I'm not sure there's anything particularly revelatory in there to find. So in the end I'd probably score this one lower than DRIVE. DRIVE feels like it has the potential to expand on repeat viewings, whereas ONLY GOD FORGIVES will still be a hell of a lot of fun, but nothing more than that. I suppose it depends on your priorities for what you want from a film.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius View Post
                            So in the end I'd probably score this one lower than DRIVE. DRIVE feels like it has the potential to expand on repeat viewings, whereas ONLY GOD FORGIVES will still be a hell of a lot of fun, but nothing more than that. I suppose it depends on your priorities for what you want from a film.

i agree with this...

i have watched DRIVE about 4 tmes now.....Still awesome movie..

ONLY GOD FORGIVES is more of an EXPERIENCE than a movie per se.....An amazing experience though....

Would love to have seen this in a packed movie theater...REFN has led them in with GOSLING...and now the pair of them have pissd everyone off who was expecting DRIVE 2 or another Gosling movie....Good work my forends...Good work.....

But what next for REFN?
                            Winding Refn stated his next film after Only God Forgives will be I Walk With the Dead, with Drive cohort Carey Mulligan slated to play the lead.[12] According to Winding Refn, it will be a horror-movie sex thriller that may be set in Tokyo or Los Angeles
                            In June 2012, Winding Refn was in talks to direct an adaptation of Button Man

Comment

Saw this tonight and loved it. Like most of the other comments I didn't like it quite as much as Drive, but in no way was it a disappointment. My fear after the success and praise of Drive was that Refn would take a turn for the commercial (the talk of a Logan's Run remake only fueled that fear). How gratifying to see that OGF ended up being the farthest thing from that.

I addition to the aforementioned Argento and Miike comparisons, I'd throw in Lynch. This seems like the kind of movie he might have followed Mulholland Dr. up with if people were still giving him actual budgets to work with.

Winding Refn stated his next film after Only God Forgives will be I Walk With the Dead, with Drive cohort Carey Mulligan slated to play the lead.[12] According to Winding Refn, it will be a horror-movie sex thriller that may be set in Tokyo or Los Angeles
                              Okay, that just sounds awesome...

Comment

Working...
                              X