Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it too late to start collecting blurays? and if it's not...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it too late to start collecting blurays? and if it's not...

...what are the best sites to buy from? Especially horror.

Yeah, I'm like fucking newbie, even tho I'm not.

It's never too late to start collecting anything. Heck, I just started collecting VHS.

The best place I can think of to start is diabolikdvd.com. You won't get the big specials that bigger retailers sometimes offer (though rarely on their horror titles), but they care. They've been my first stop for sleaze, trash, and horror for years now, and they'll happily order things in for you.

Comment

Yeah, what he said. It's not too late. In fact, I'd say that given the amount of awesome culty niche stuff coming out these last few months and in the coming months that now is actually a good time to get into it. Prices have come down too.

And Diabolik is the best game in town for North American customers but as you're in Europe, the shipping might start to hurt after awhile and you wouldn't need them for imports so much. Obviously there are the big guys like Amazon but ImportCDs has been good to me in the past. I used to use CD Universe for a while but then had a bad customer service experience with them so I stopped.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

amazon.de has some great stuff. I just got a great Lynch boxed set from there, and it contains your favourite, INLAND EMPIRE. In all honesty, I like to support the smaller companies when I can, but being in Canada usually means that the smaller guys screw me over on shipping...not cool. Amazon has got a good selection, and reasonable prices for the most part.

I know that the whole 4K thing seems to be starting up now, but I'm not willing to jump on a 4K TV for at least 5 years, and I'd wager that most of the buying public are in the same boat. DVDs looked great, but you knew there was room for improvement...with blu-ray, there's still room but certainly not as much, IMO. I think that blu-ray is going to be around for a good long while.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
          DVDs looked great, but you knew there was room for improvement...
          I dunno about that, Mark. That sounds like a bit of revisionist history to me. I recall many, MANY DVD reviews at the time saying things like, "This is the best such-and-such film will ever look," and now look where we are with Blu-ray where it's often like watching a restored film print in your home. I certainly had no idea it could get better than DVD, as the leap in quality from VHS was so vast.

I know when Blu-ray was starting to become popular and I didn't have an HDTV, I was against the thought of upgrading, because I thought DVD was good enough. Then I changed my tune when I actually saw Blu-ray in action. I'm not sure I'll be able to say the same for this 4K TV or whatever it is. At that point you may as well buy film prints.
          Ryan Clark
          Last edited by Ryan Clark; 03-31-2013, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Clark View Post
            That sounds like a bit of revisionist history to me.

Quoted for truth!

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I thought that DVDs looked great! For the most part, anyway. Just saying that with the resolution at the time, and the size of a camera negative, there's no way that was going to be the end of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius View Post
                It's never too late to start collecting anything. Heck, I just started collecting VHS.
                lol. Me too.

Comment

I know that the whole 4K thing seems to be starting up now, but I'm not willing to jump on a 4K TV for at least 5 years,
                  4K for home viewing is so dumb I can't wait to see them try and foist it on the public: "4K delivers an experience so real you can actually feel the studio execs rummaging around in your wallet!"

At the moment we're accepting 2K at the cinemas but 1080P* is not good enough for the home?! Blu-Ray will be the last physical media system or someone is having a serious laugh at our expense.

*1080X1920 being as near to 2k as makes no difference at all.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

It is indeed, too late. They've all gone bad.

Just kidding. Go nuts! ^_^
                    www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

I just hope they dont phase out Betamax. Those new video thingys are great!!

Comment

Working...
                      X