Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dom D
    replied
    Last night put on Short Circuit for the household 5 year old. This movie was huge in my youth. We watched the damned thing relentlessly. It went over well , I think, though the scene where Number 5 gets exploded at the end may have traumatised her for life. Lots of stuff you miss when you're a kid. Like 80s kids movie dialogue: "I originally designed these robots as a marital aid". Did you now Mr Guttenberg?

What I totally failed to pick up when I was watching it as a kid though is that the actor playing the very broad, very funny, Indian sidekick/stereotype is a white dude in brownface doing an Apu accent. In 1986 that was fine and dandy. The culture moves very fast...

That aside, the movie really holds up. I enjoyed it. Possibly, big statement I know, it could be said to be the best movie of Guttenbergs career.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    SMALL TOWN CRIME (Eshom Nelms, Ian Nelms, 2017). John Hawkes is a drunken disgrace of an unemployed ex-cop. "Most mornings, I'm about as worthless as a park bench in hell," he says, really trying to nail the interview so he can get on and drink his next UI check. One roadkill hooker, though, and he's a man doing what a man ought to do. Not sure it's really the neo-noir a lot of reviews tag it as -- a little too much fun, more like a Lansdale Hap & Leonard joint. Good use of Robert Forster, and Clifton Collins Jr's a lowridin' pimp. They brought enough bullets for everyone, so A+.

Leave a comment:

• Barry M
    Super Fiend

• Barry M
    replied
    TOMATO RED (Juanita Wilson, 2017). Daniel Woodrell country noir, minimally released in 2017 and seems to've vanished. Watched it on itunes; DVDs were released in regions 1 and 2. Julia Garner, Anna Friel, Jake Weary. Woodrell's regionalism is always a strength, and it's under-served by the BC locations, but the trash is destiny fatalism and trapped rage is strong and universal as store-brand whiskey and beer with sweat on it. Lonesome trains, big sky, rails so close there's no right side of the tracks, bad decisions, and a tire iron to the face of an ending that hits as true and inevitable enough. Not perfect, but fine.

Subtitled TOMATO RED: BLOOD MONEY for the US release. This made me angry. Don't do this again.

Edit: an interview with Wilson.

https://esource.dbs.ie/bitstream/han...=1&isAllowed=y
    Barry M
    Super Fiend
    Last edited by Barry M; 01-01-2022, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Newt Cox

• Newt Cox
    replied
    Old Boy remake

Crap crap doo doo shit feces poo poo

Leave a comment:

• Dom D
    replied
    The Matrix Ressurections: it doesn't really feel like a real movie. For a movie like this to work the audience needs to understand the rules. The rules of the Matrix were really simple. The Matrix was a construct our heroes could jack into from the real world using telephones. If they die in the Matrix they die in real life. Because they know the world is just a program they are capable of superhuman feats but are no match for the agents who move like quicksilver and so if they come across an agent they need to run to a phone to get out. Simple setup, clearly explained. There's no rules at all in this new film. Things just happen. Now Trinity can fly. Why? Because. Now there's a guy who can move a thousand times faster than Neo. Why? Because. Agent Smith can beat the shit out of that guy. No reason for that. It's just a sequence of events with no rhyme or reason and no reason to follow it.

They really needed Hugo Weaving back for this. The new casting on Agent Smith is bizarre. That guy could be playing a real estate agent and give the same performance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X