No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE PEOPLE WHO OWN THE DARK - Code Red's print looks like it lost a cage match but it's watchable and still nice to have on dvd. Even after multiple viewings this still manages to creep me out at times. A very unusual role for Naschy, he's a real bastard here and doesn't get bare chested with one of the babes.

MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW - An amazingly moving film, wow this really hit me hard. An elderly couple lose their home to the bank and get shunted around between their children, none of whom are willing to have them inconvenience their lives. A final scene that will shatter you...just about the saddest thing I've ever seen. The Criterion dvd has a great converation with Peter Bogdanovich where he talks about having lunch with Orson Welles and asking him if he had seen this, Welles said "oh my god, that's the saddest movie ever made. It would make a stone cry." From the mid-30s but still sadly very relevant. Leo McCarey's favorite of his films and I would agree but it's just tough to watch.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Make Way for Tomorrow is unbearably good.

"Dad, get off the couch, I need to watch MWfT now."

Comment

• Bonnie's Kids. A+

Comment

• The Bunny Game - well, this was grim. Well done for what it is and I think it accomplished what it set out to accomplish, but it's not in the least bit remotely pleasant.

Girls In The Night Traffic - three prostitutes live together in a room with a thick faux fur rug where they fellate bananas and daisy chain one another. They perform in a sex show but Eric Falk and his cronies coerse them into going to somewhere in the Middle East (I think it was Turkey) to work as hookers in their nightclub. Eric Falk bangs them all and one weird guy in a Shriner's hat yells out 'Allah is Allah' while he bones chicks. Also the girls masturbate a lot. This was fun.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• COMBAT SHOCK-The feel bad movie of any year.
            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• MISHIMA: A LIFE IN FOUR CHAPTERS - Paul Schrader (1985)

I actually found the supplemental material on disc 2 to be more interesting than the movie itself -- especially Mishima on Mishima.

on a sad side note: R.I.P. Sherman Hemsley (February 1, 1938 - July 24, 2012)

It would be a fitting tribute if they sang the The Jefferson's theme song at his funeral.

Well we're movin on up,
              To the east side.
              To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
              Movin on up
              To the east side.
              We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
              Beans don't burn on the grill.
              Took a whole lotta tryin'
              Just to get up that hill.
              Now we're up in the big leagues
              Gettin' our turn at bat.
              As long as we live, it's you and me baby
              There ain't nothin wrong with that.

Well we're movin on up,
              To the east side.
              To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
              Movin on up
              To the east side.
              We finally got a piece of the pie.

Comment

• Yeah, sorry to hear about Sherman.

SO SAD ABOUT GLORIA - a few brief chills or weirdness do not add up to enough for a good film. Most of this is dull. Kicks off with a fairly intense axe murder that had my hopes up but it just sputters along after that for too long. Every now and then we get a non sequitur of a man in a cape busting the chains off a coffin to the tune of Dokken's "Breakin' The Chains". No, not really but that would have been cooler than most of this. Directed by future FOB Harry Thomason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                  SO SAD ABOUT GLORIA - a few brief chills or weirdness do not add up to enough for a good film. Most of this is dull. Kicks off with a fairly intense axe murder that had my hopes up but it just sputters along after that for too long. Every now and then we get a non sequitur of a man in a cape busting the chains off a coffin to the tune of Dokken's "Breakin' The Chains". No, not really but that would have been cooler than most of this. Directed by future FOB Harry Thomason.
                  Hmm. Now I don't feel so bad about not picking this up when it was available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                    I'd had a hard day and was kinda zoned-out when I watched this. My expectations were low and I was receptive, so I probably had a goofy half-smile throughout. The multiple romantic montages, as Ian flagged earlier, were too much for me tho' and I remember fidgeting. Dean Jagger looked a little sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clive Smith View Post
                      I'd had a hard day and was kinda zoned-out when I watched this. My expectations were low and I was receptive, so I probably had a goofy half-smile throughout. The multiple romantic montages, as Ian flagged earlier, were too much for me tho' and I remember fidgeting. Dean Jagger looked a little sad.
                      I probably looked a little sad seeing Dean Jagger in this myself, he was quite formidable in his day. He had to spout some absolutely awful lines too. While watching this I kept thinking what someone like S.F. Brownrigg would have done with the material. The ending was pretty cool even if it didn't make a lick of damn sense.

Comment

• Watched THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME on the Flicker Alley blu-ray last night. I almost instantly fell into the story again, so I didn't notice picture quality much. It looked good, still some print damage (at the edges mainly). Since it was pretty much transparent to me, I can't say that the restoration blew me away, but it looked good. Honestly, even the Alpha oldies dvd was good (Criterion good, *cough*?) Didn't get to GOW.

Comment

• I need to get that. GOW looks like it might be a slog but it's a freebie.

Andrew, I thought of Brownrigg too. Especially when Jagger's speaking to the institute director at the beginning.

Comment

• Watched an early 70's actual "drive in" double feature of HANDS OF THE RIPPER and TWINS OF EVIL. Used a boot of the R2 Hands and the BD of Twins. While Twins looked much better Hands was the better movie IMHO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Banks View Post
                              Watched an early 70's actual "drive in" double feature of HANDS OF THE RIPPER and TWINS OF EVIL. Used a boot of the R2 Hands and the BD of Twins. While Twins looked much better Hands was the better movie IMHO.
                              That's a great combo. I prefer HANDS too, though I do like TWINS and the new blu is great.

GIAN MARIA VOLONTE: UN ATTORE CONTRO - An absolutely fascinating (and loving) tribute to this giant of Italian cinema. Amazing how many great films he was a part of, I was particularly thrilled to see attention paid to I AM AFRAID and WE STILL KILL THE OLD WAY. Some of the brief clips don't look right but it's not a deal breaker. Look fast during the segment on an Italian actors strike and you'll see Enrico Maria Salerno. This alone is worth the price of the BU blu of A BULLET FOR THE GENERAL, and on top of it you get a great version(s) of BULLET.

Comment

• Road Kings, aka Road Dogs (Detdrich McClure, 2003). Panther and Ray (Glenn Plummer, Chris Spencer as Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper) drive bikes from LA to DC, trying to get free and find America. A cheap, heartfelt, respectful-enough riff on EASY RIDER (which turns out to still feel relevant). The cinematography hurts it some since the landscape never really comes across (or even the bikes, really), but there's a nicely-lit fight in the neon rain outside a diner, so that's probably budget more than chops. The funny bits -- Ray gets taken for Q-Tip by small-town hip hop girls; STAND BY ME-like philosophizing ("Betty? Or Wilma?") -- work pretty well, and support the serious stuff (racism, racism, racism; history, history, history): it's never really original, but I was never really bored, either. They're planning to be barbers: somehow, that gave it a sort of GOIN' DOWN THE ROAD vibe for me. It's almost as good as I'd hoped it would be, and the director does a cameo as a fakeass wheelchair panhandler, so bonus points.

The Bedroom Window (Curtis Hanson, 1987). Steve's Gluttenbergs, Isabelle's Hupperts, and Elizabeth McGovern playing a tough victim. Maybe it was the way Huppert's accent and Guttenberg's delivery worked together, but I really dug this. The cleverish, unbelievable, blatantly unreal plot & dialogue reminded me of an Anthony Boucher-style mystery: entertaining, artificial, slight.

The Stepfather (Joseph Ruben, 1987). Donald E. Westlake's script's still great, and Terry O'Quinn and Jill Schoelen were even better than I'd remembered. I ordered the Alliance DVD of LE COUPERET (THE AX) right afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X