What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAN FROM NOWHERE (Korea 2010)

Action packed revenge tale starring Won Bin. I think it was from a comic book (sorry, graphic novel!)which might explain the simple-often-told revenge story and the paper thin bad guy /cop characters.....but it the fights that make this one enjoyable as Won bin sets out on his revenge trail.....ending kinda drops it a few points though...

Comment

• SAMURAI III: DUEL AT GANRYU ISLAND - Great ending to a fantastic series. Final duel is excellently staged.

TRUE STORY OF A WOMAN IN JAIL CONTINUES - Yeah, what Ian said. I really like the lead in these and thought she was a little under-used this time around. Still, gotta love a movie that features not one, but two brutal bathing brawls.

Comment

• D.O.A. - the remake with Dennis Quaid, who is actually pretty cool in the lead. Meg Ryan's comic relief is lousy but she looks all bubbly and happy in it so it's hard to dislike her. Weird seeing the mom from Malcolm in the Middle in this. Some decent tension, a few good twists here and there, but not nearly as good as the original. Still, fun and entertaining.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• We had a really bad storm come through Columbus last night. 85 mph hour winds uprooted trees, ripped roofs off buildings and decimated the power grid for Central Ohio. 500,000 homes are without power, with restorations efforts estimated to take upto a week.

Now neither I nor my home took any damage, but I've had no power at home for 16 hours and counting. Which is why I ended up at the multiplex last night to see:

BRAVE - Absolutely marvelous animation, but just a decent story. Stil quite good, just not in the same league as Wall-E or Toy Sory. The opening short was awesome.

Comment

• EROTIC CENTER - dubbed German "crime/sex drama" from 1971. Bad...but so good. The dubbing makes it and the copious amounts of naked 70s chicks puts it right up there. I'll be watching this one again. It was so unintentionally funny.

Comment

• Glad you're safe, Apronikoff!
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Sounds rough out there Apronikoff!..keep safe!!

BUY THE TICKET...TAKE THE RIDE...Hunter S Thompson retrospective....good for the interview with Bill Murray and (of course) Gary Busey!

Still not sure how I feel about Thompson himself though...Interesting writer, unique personality, great way with words......but I think the man himself is overshadowed by his image somewhat.....

Comment

• Thanks for the well-wishes guys. Spoke to my landlord today. He said that the electric company told him that due to the extensive damage in our neighborhood, and the fact that we are in a low-priority (I assume he means low income) neighborhood we should expect it to be at least seven days before power is on for us again. Makes we wanna punch someone. So I'm staying at a friends place out of town, and it was his wife's turn to choose the movie, so today I saw:

THE HUNGER GAMES --Ehh, it was ok. But is another movie that made me want to sit the director down and explain that handheld cameras do not make action scenes seem more "real" or more "exciting" but do make them seem more sloppy and incoherent.

Comment

• Blood Beast Terror - Cushing is good in it, cool looking monster. Other than that...
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Bitter End of a Sweet Night - Yoshishige Yoshida (1961)

A brilliant director who unfortunately has not received the recognition he so rightfully deserves outside of France & his native Japan. Painfully underscored by the lack of commercial releases of his movies available with English subs. :(

Comment

• TALE OF ZATOICHI - Pretty great. Looking forward to watching more in the series in the very near future. Can anyone who has seen all/most of the season answer whether there's any particular reason to watch these in order? Do they refer back to each other at all?

NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD - awesome doc, but a total tease since the week before the storm I got all four volumes of Umbrella's Ozploitation collection, and now have to wait til I get power back before I can watch any of the movies that NQH has me all psyched to see. Lol. Loved hearing about how crazy dangerous all the stunt work was at the time. That's why modern American action films tend to seem like sanitized rubbish to me: actually dodging a real car is infinitely more exciting on the screen than pretending to dodge a CGI car.

Still no word on how long I'm going to be stranded out in the suburbs in the home of people who don't own a DVD player, but tonight I figured how I could remotely make my apartment send me an email when the power is restored, so at least now I don't have to spend half my time wondering whether the powers been restored or not between trips into town.

Comment

• Sleepaway Camp - confused sexuality aside, this movie is a pretty cool little slasher with a fun twist and some neat characters. Gotta love Mel's freak out at the end and the cop with the changing moustahce. The ending is still nuts. Pun intended.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Violent Panic - The Big Crash directed by Kinji Fukasaku. Not the best of Fukasaku's works but even the most pedestrian of his efforts is still pretty entertaining. Of course, Miki Sugimoto & Yayoi Watanabe of School of the Holy Beast fame in various states of undress certainly helps the rather mundane storyline along.

Comment

• TALE OF ZATOICHI CONTINUES - Not as good as the first one, but really fast paced with a handful of great sword fights. Definitely hooked.

FOUR OF THE APOCALPSE - Half expected to not like his one. I'm a huge fan of Fulci's giallos and his grand guignol horror films, but have often found his lesser works to be *really* tedious. Also, although he's been in a number of things I liked I frequently find Fabio Testi to be a really uninvolving lead. In this case, however, I was really pleasantly surprised. Sort of like Hitch-Hike by way of McCabe and Mrs. Miller. Gorgeous Lynne Frederick didn't hurt either. :)

Comment

• METROPIA- Animated sci-fi set in a dystopian Europe connected by a giant underground subway network. It feels kind of like BRAZIL if Terry Gilliam had done it as an animation and left out most of the funny bits. The animation looks sorta creepy in a good way and it's got Udo Kier in it so you know it's worth checking out.

PUNK BRITANNIA- This is a solid 3 part documentary on the UK punk scene starting from 1972 and running up to 1981. It begins with a look at the foundation set by the pub rock scene and ends with a brief look at post punk. After a strong first half it starts feeling rushed and things like the influence of US punk are pretty much ignored. It's worth watching, but I would have liked to see it run twice as long so second wave punk could have had a more in-depth look.

Comment

Working...
                                X