No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watched Doris Wishman's mindboggling A Night To Dismember last night and my brain still hurts. Every scene in this so called "film" feels like it was shot, directed, acted and edited by a mad person! One of the strangest and most inept films i've ever seen, it goes way, way beyond your regular fun "bad film" into... autistic anti-cinema? Highly recommended to a very small movie fan demographic (I loved it), all others; avoid like plauge.

Comment

• Documenting The Grey Man - this was a super low budget Paranormal Activity meets Ghost Hunters type thing. Started off really goofy, stayed that way throughout, but managed to creep me out in a few spots thanks to a couple of well done set pieces I didn't see coming.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Seven Days in May (John Frankenheimer, 1964). You can't go wrong overthrowing the government; it's just so darned attractive, especially in black & white. Things that still work: Kirk Douglas fucking Ava Gardner for the Constitution; the futurepop McLuhany media coup vibe (the video phones, the Civil Defense hijacking of the tv networks, the tv in Lancaster's car at the end); the idea that futility and powerlessness eat at democracy (smells like Serling); and it remains inadvisable to fuck with John Houseman when he has an aircraft carrier. Not so much: great performance, Fredric March, but old white guy president is kind of dated; the chivalry about Burt Lancaster's penis letters is hard to buy these days; and the "well der, fire them, Hamlet, problem solved" plot remains a little unsatisfying. Also, the essentially political nature of things is still kind of a let-down -- I always wanted more soldiers. This time, I really wanted Val Kilmer's secret service agent to get Spartan on Lancaster.

That cast: Martin Balsam, Edmond O'Brien, Andrew Duggan, Whit Bissell.

Comment

• Ghostkeeper (Jim Makichuk, 1982). It's hot here tonight, and this is better than air conditioning. Store-bought whisky freezing solid in the bottle? Chilling. Apres-skidoo hoser horror with just enough supernatural bologna. Features actual snow drifts, Hudson Bay blanket, that fiddly thing where you clip your ski gloves to your coat zipper, and thermal underwear. Georgie Collins is great. Thanks, Code Red.

Comment

• Sudden Death is one of Van Damme's best films. Great action cheese!
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• The Strange Case of Alice Cooper. Taken from a video master the DVD is watchable but not going to take home any awards for picture or sound. Alice's love for the hootch has clearly taken its tole by the time this was shot so don't expect a great vocal performance. But Alice is still pretty game and the band is solid, so it's still a good watch. The commentary is very sparse and mostly worthless.
              Roderick
              Butthorn
              Last edited by Roderick; 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM. Reason: dur

Comment

• Lady for a Day (Frank Capra, 1933). May Robson is great as Apple Annie, a fierce, devastated gin-guzzling crone hawking sidewalk apples. The sequence where she brushes off a friend who's been hurt helping her, fronts the authority of hotel managers, and collapses in the street under the looming threat of truth is wonderful, the best thing in the movie by far. Once Capra gets the fairy tale up his butt it's all fairy godmother as Cinderella, glowing halo spots and maternal light falling like rain on glass: Mrs. E. Worthington Manville becomes nothing but the mcguffin to justify mugs in suits flipping for the King of Siam. Entertaining, sure, but Capra lets Runyon run on so. Warren William is Warren William, Ned Sparks steals the movie, and Glenda Farrell shakes her boobies. That flapping dance and Annie's admission that she never was married are the only overtly pre-code spicings here, unless you count that the happy ending is achieved by telling the truth to liars and lying to honest folks. The most beautiful truth is all in the first third, though. "Where is my beautiful Beast?"

I watched the new dvd, which looks swell. Probably worth the blu-ray.

Comment

• Long weekend viewing....

Six Swedes On Campus - I think I already commented on this earlier in this same thread. DILDO BIKES!

Waterpower - YUP. Suck it you lesbian.

Woman In Black - Made Horace cry.

Countess Perverse - More on that tomorrow.

Baba Yaga - I like this movie. George Eastman is cool. Just fucking cool as hell visually - the movie, not George so much.

Confessions Of A Psycho Cat - Commented on that in the SWV thread.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Three on a Meathook- A variation on the Ed Gene story using a shaky Psycho template. Toss in a little Midnight Cowboy for flavor and season with sporadic gore, nudity and some wonderfully stiff acting. Tasty, but what kind of meat is this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roderick View Post
                      Three on a Meathook- A variation on the Ed Gene story using a shaky Psycho template. Toss in a little Midnight Cowboy for flavor and season with sporadic gore, nudity and some wonderfully stiff acting. Tasty, but what kind of meat is this?
                      Ed Gene Simmons? Kosher!
                      Man, I love Ed Gein related movies, but I still haven't seen this. Love the title, like the Mortician song, like the idea, I'm just lazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        Long weekend viewing....

Six Swedes On Campus - I think I already commented on this earlier in this same thread. DILDO BIKES!

Waterpower - YUP. Suck it you lesbian.

Woman In Black - Made Horace cry.

Countess Perverse - More on that tomorrow.

Baba Yaga - I like this movie. George Eastman is cool. Just fucking cool as hell visually - the movie, not George so much.
                        All good. :up:
                        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Lifeforce. I can't say as I dislike this movie, but I don't really enjoy it. I think the only reason I watch it every year is 'cause of Mathilda May's mega rad titties.

Comment

• Watched two of my favorite war films over the weekend - BATTLEGROUND and WAKE ISLAND. Also saw CHERNOBYL DIARIES...a couple of eerie moments but that's about it. Not the least bit scary and it's filmed in that played out documentary style even though none of the chararacters are doing the filming. Has some very (unintentionally) funny bits though. I thought the trailer for this looked pretty spooky but the verdict is nope.
                            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• The trailer grabbed my attention too. Will probably check it out on DVD.

Last night... Accident. Johnnie To produced this one, pretty cool thriller. Good performance from Louis Koo.

Mutant Girls Squad - high fives all around for the deadly chainsaw ass and Tak from Versus in drag. Fairly typical Sushi Typhoon nuttiness.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• THE BARBARIANS & CO. - Swift kick in the cinematic nuts from Deodato. Unbelievably goofy sword and sorcery nonsense with lots to laugh at if you're in the mood. Major scenery-chewing faceoffs between Richard Lynch, Michael Berryman, and George Eastman (who only has a cameo but makes up for lost time). A dragon that looks disturbingly like a dachshund and the "talents" of the Paul bros. Forget CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, this is Deodato's true atrocity. A Cannon production!
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X