No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just watched the girl with the dragon tattoo. An american remake that was vastly superior to the shitty swedish film. The only thing that annoyed me was that they all spoke with swedish accents. Very unpleasant to the ears.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Lost Angels - Adam Horowitz is a trouble maker who hooks up with a girl who drives her mom's car into a swimming pool. The two of them are shipped off to juvenille hall where Donald Sutherland is the only doctor who gives a damn. He tries to set them right but it won't be easy - cause he's a troublemaker. Pretty corny, but cool to hear The Pogues in the background of a party scene where other troublemakers trash a fancy house.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I recall that there were some cool tunes for the time on that Lost Angels soundtrack -- Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, et. al.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          Lost Angels - Adam Horowitz is a trouble maker who hooks up with a girl who drives her mom's car into a swimming pool. The two of them are shipped off to juvenille hall where Donald Sutherland is the only doctor who gives a damn. He tries to set them right but it won't be easy - cause he's a troublemaker. Pretty corny, but cool to hear The Pogues in the background of a party scene where other troublemakers trash a fancy house.
          I saw this once years ago on Showtime and remember liking it. But haven't seen it since shit 93 I think. Will have to track a copy down.

Comment

• Pony Express - Charlton Heston is Buffalo Bill Cody, and he teams up with a surprisingly effiminate Wild Bill Hickock ("I told you I don't like women!") to start The Pony Express and connect California to the rest of the states. He kills a lot of Indians along the way. This was kinda fun, pretty brainless but Heston chews through the scenery well and the interesting supporting cast are all amusing enough.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• The Wizard Of Gore - definitely not Lewis' best movie but still fun, despite the fact that it's very, very repetitive (something I curiously don't remember noticing the first time I watched it, but that was a long time ago). Montag is awesome but nobody else really is. The main hero guy has big Dumbo ears.

I followed this up with Titanoboa, which are a fairly interesting documentary about prehistoric giant snakes that included a lot of footage of a South American snake expert wandering around a swamp filled with crocodiles and snakes and nasty things without any shoes on. He caught a giant boa that was 18ft long and just sort of wandered around with it on his neck like he was a science nerd Alice Cooper or something.

From there, I jumped into Ninja Mexicano. The 1st 20 minutes were pretty rad - it's got a ninja sex scene in it and German Robles is always cool - but then I fell asleep. With the TV on.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• UPPERCUT MAN - a very goofy Italian riff on boxing movies ala ROCKY. Full of 80s cheese and some hilarious bits yet also paced like a speed demon and fun if you're in the right mood. Giuliano Gemma and Ernest Borgnine are in it too, Gemma in particular is great as a brutal fight promoter.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Galaxy of Terror: Re-watch. Still a bad ass B flick.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Thirteen Women (George Archainbaud, 1932). Horrorscopes! Death by mail! Myrna Loy as a devilwoman astrologer, the Swammi swammed, sorority sister revenge, angry stars. Squeezes almost the promised bodycount into the zippy hour running time, and I dug the "willing suspension of disbelief proves fatal" gimmick. The movie takes the garden skittle plotline (line 'em up, knock 'em down) and gives each woman an affecting problem, which helps in selling death by suggestion, but also makes it a real pre-code women's pic. Racist.

The book was apparently a masterpiece of its time, written by the founder of the Charles Fort Society: in the book, Myrna Loy's character gets raped at 10 for her murderous motivation, and then gets stowed away (raped) by sailors. Great writeup at Neglected Books, which pointed me at the archive.org link, and this picture, which doesn't appear in the movie.

http://neglectedbooks.com/?p=821
                    http://archive.org/details/ThirteenWomen
                    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023582/

Comment

• Sexy!

Last night... The Gore Gore Girls. Hadn't seen this in a long time and enjoyed it quite a bit. Cool to see the guy who played Montag show up as the bartender. Death by French Fries is gross.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• NIGHT OF THE SORCERERS-What can I say about this film that hasn't already been said? Entertaining nonsense.
                        "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• NIGHT INTO MORNING - College professor loses his wife and son in a fire and turns to drink. Ray Milland played an alcoholic in THE LOST WEEKEND and here he's someone who's on the path to it. In some ways this is a more realistic portrayal, not as showy but this character is someone you can relate to. He bottles up his grief (in more ways than one), never cracking up. Nancy Davis (Reagan) is quite good as a sympathetic war widow who understands his desperation. Milland is top notch and by the end this film manages to say some true things about grief and also pack quite an emotional punch.
                          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Watched STAR WARS last night. Great movie. It made me angry at George Lucas for going back in time and ruining the fuutre. I'll get over it in time to watch RETURN OF THE JEDI, most likely.

Comment

• THE AVENGERS-We both loved this one and the Hulk stole the show. Never thought I'd see the day when a group superhero movie would be made. Great fun.
                              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• HAYWIRE - Gina Carano's gritty, realistic fight scenes highlight this Steven Soderbergh vehicle. Usually the fights don't have music behind them, but the score during the "chase" parts of the film is some outstanding funk-hop, reminiscent of Lalo Schifrin's work on Dirty Harry. Lots of big name stars appear in understated roles, but the real stars are the fight sequences. The whole thing feels like a love letter to 70's action films, without the cheese/schmaltz overdose of period dated clothes and hairstyles.
                                paul h.
                                woly boly
                                Last edited by paul h.; 05-06-2012, 07:35 PM. Reason: un mastery of the English language

Comment

Working...
                                X