No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air: I remember when Social Network came out reviewers were saying we'd hit bottom, making a film about the creation of a website. If that was bottom then Afleck has been at work with a spade. This is the dramatised story of Jordan signing with Nike. I say dramatised but there's fuck all drama. Nike makes an offer to Jordan. Jordan makes a counter offer. Nike's accepts. That's honestly all there is to it. There's some major mythologising of Jordan and some very odd scenes where we only see the back of Jordan's head but that's it. Easy to watch I guess.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Zero Tolerance
      The mob kills FBI agent Robert Patrick’s wife (played by his irl wife) and kids, so he decides to take out the trash and kill everyone of them. The FBI pulls his badge but also kind of let him go wild. After all, them dying is alot cheaper than prosecuting them. Lots of car explosions and half decent John Woo-light gunfights ensue. PM Entertainment excelled at these B-action type things. While it’s not their best, or wildest movie it’s plenty entertaining while it lasts. Robert Patrick is a good lead and Titus Welliver plays a good scumbag mob leader who ordered the hit on the family. The ending is a little ridiculous but who cares. The bad guys have been shot or exploded to smithereens. Let’s roll credits over a cheesy third rate ballad and call it a day!
      Nabonga
      Last edited by Nabonga; 05-24-2023, 06:49 PM.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Did an accidental double double feature.

Each film was about basket ball,Jwanna Man and Slam Dunk Ernest.

What I forgot was ROTLD and Friday 5's Miguel Nuniz Jr is in both.

Comment

• Until the End of the World - The director's cut of Wim Wender's sci-fi adventure, which is 287 minutes. I was on holidays, so I decided to watch something challenging. I liked it, but it was, of course, ridiculously overlong. I have no idea how you would cut it down, though. Wenders trimmed it down to 157 minutes for its release in 1991. It didn't really feel too indulgent (except when it did). It has some amazingly prescient aspects involving characters staring at handheld devices and being disconnected from reality, which is really stunning tbh.

The Whale - I'm a fan of Aronofsky, so I felt I owed it to myself to check this out, despite almost zero interest. I found a lot of it to be sort of meh, but not really boring. The daughter character started to get on my nerves but she does have a good arc. It really comes to life once Samantha Morton's character enters the film and the final third is pretty gripping. I don't think I'd watch it again.

They Call Her One Eye - First time watching the 90 minute US cut and, holy shit, is it ever an improvement. I still think it's a borderline-ridiculous film, but it doesn't drag as much and the English dub makes it more fun (even though this could've been a silent film).

Candy Land - This is a new unrated, independent film concerning "lot lizards" (truck-stop hookers) and religious nutjobs. It starts off beautifully, taking it's time establishing all of the elements. It really seemed like maybe I was in the midst of a new classic; it was tough and fearless, with some shocking content that it was playing straight. Perfect. Unfortunately, after setting up all of the interesting characters, the film becomes a pointless and totally unbelievable slasher film. This slasher element just doesn't work within the context of the gritty and realistic set-up. Worst of all, I just didn't buy it. It's too bad, really, because the first 45 minutes or so promises much more than it ultimately delivers.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I've been watching THE OUTPOST a lot lately. I think it's one of the finest war films ever made. Scott Eastwood has a similar charisma to his dad (and looks and sounds like him quite a bit as well). The rest of the cast is excellent too. Based on a true story, this packs quite a punch.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
              I've been watching THE OUTPOST a lot lately. I think it's one of the finest war films ever made. Scott Eastwood has a similar charisma to his dad (and looks and sounds like him quite a bit as well). The rest of the cast is excellent too. Based on a true story, this packs quite a punch.
              I like Scott Eastwood too, but I think he needs a Francis the Talking Mule flick to increase his profile.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Tron (USA, 1982) 8/10

I am shocked I enjoyed this as much as I did. I don’t remember loving the film as a kid but I’ve always been drawn to the arcade game and aesthetic. I’ve put quarters in Tron cabinets numerous times as an adult, even in recent years, and just seeing Tron inspired art gives me a nostalgic kick of glee. It’s the world and art of Tron I dug and not so much the film. But its difficult to be sure since I was maybe 8-years-old, when I first saw the film. I do know that I rarely felt compelled to revisit Tron as a teenager, young adult or even a genre film obsessed middle-aged man. And seeing it recently, I think I’ve figured out why I’ve been indifferent to the film but not the art. I think you need to be a computer nerd to “get it” (I am an IT professional). And you may need to be an adult to get the subtext of “Users” being gods and “Programs” being humans. I think why the film is so enjoyable now is that is not over-loaded with explanations, expositions, or the boring real world stuff. Surprisingly, most of the runtime was spent in the special FX world of Tron and not the real world. The world of Tron is stunning. The effects hold up amazingly well and there is a beauty to the sound as well. And while it is very PG (something I mostly avoid), it wasn’t in that Disney or Spielberg way which I find incredibly off-putting. I don’t expect to be surprised like this again any time soon. So now I’ll give the remake a try and see how bad that disappoints.

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post

I like Scott Eastwood too, but I think he needs a Francis the Talking Mule flick to increase his profile.
                  Haha! He does need to increase his profile. I didn't even realize he was in FURY (another really good war film).

Comment

Haha! He does need to increase his profile. I didn't even realize he was in FURY (another really good war film).
                    Just ordered a copy of The Outpost, sounds like it might be my sort of thing.

Comment

Just ordered a copy of The Outpost, sounds like it might be my sort of thing.
                      Looking forward to what you think of it! I can't imagine you won't like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                        Tron (USA, 1982) 8/10

I am shocked I enjoyed this as much as I did. I don’t remember loving the film as a kid but I’ve always been drawn to the arcade game and aesthetic. I’ve put quarters in Tron cabinets numerous times as an adult, even in recent years, and just seeing Tron inspired art gives me a nostalgic kick of glee. It’s the world and art of Tron I dug and not so much the film. But its difficult to be sure since I was maybe 8-years-old, when I first saw the film. I do know that I rarely felt compelled to revisit Tron as a teenager, young adult or even a genre film obsessed middle-aged man. And seeing it recently, I think I’ve figured out why I’ve been indifferent to the film but not the art. I think you need to be a computer nerd to “get it” (I am an IT professional). And you may need to be an adult to get the subtext of “Users” being gods and “Programs” being humans. I think why the film is so enjoyable now is that is not over-loaded with explanations, expositions, or the boring real world stuff. Surprisingly, most of the runtime was spent in the special FX world of Tron and not the real world. The world of Tron is stunning. The effects hold up amazingly well and there is a beauty to the sound as well. And while it is very PG (something I mostly avoid), it wasn’t in that Disney or Spielberg way which I find incredibly off-putting. I don’t expect to be surprised like this again any time soon. So now I’ll give the remake a try and see how bad that disappoints.
                        I saw the remake recently. Visually it is stunning. Really takes the ball from the original and runs with it. I thought it was an okay movie. Like the original it really lacks for character and- to be brutal- heart but it is definitely an experience. On the back of watching that I went back to have a look at the original. I don' think I'd seen this since I was about 6 years old. It left me cold then and it still leaves me cold now. It is a technical marvel. The idea that the graphics in the film are all done mathematically rather than with a conventional user interface kind of blows my mind. Sure you can do a carbon copy of the bike jousting scene in a couple hours on a decent computer now but I'm blown away that they managed to do it at all with the tools they had back then.
                        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Full Frontal
                          I read somewhere that this was a good movie. It’s not. I lasted 50 minutes before tapping out and turning it off. Life’s too short for watching such self-indulgent, aimless crap. If an unknown had approached a studio with this they would’ve been told ”Get the fuck out of here with that shit!”
                          https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

Looking forward to what you think of it! I can't imagine you won't like it.
                            That was indeed good shit! Thanks for the recommendation. So good that I didn't even hate Caleb Landry Jones in it. Was also impressed that I didn't know that real veterans were acting in it too until watching the extras.

Well worth a look if you want a modern war movie.

Comment

• Don't Panic (Dimensiones ocultas) (Mexico, 1987) 2/10 **

The grown-ass man playing a high school student that runs around in dinosaur pj’s is funny. Especially since the film isn’t playing it for laughs. The man child thing appears to be sincere. There are also some crazy funny scenes like pj boy getting sedated because he had a tantrum and tore up some posters in his room. Scenes with him and his mommy consoling him are truly bizarre. That said, I still wasn’t able to make it to the credits. It’s a slasher devoid of sleaze, with terrible kills and gore. I could see falling in love with this if I had caught it an Alamo Drafthouse with a crowd, but DON’T PANIC is not a film to be watched, alone on the couch.

Comment

That was indeed good shit! Thanks for the recommendation. So good that I didn't even hate Caleb Landry Jones in it. Was also impressed that I didn't know that real veterans were acting in it too until watching the extras.

Well worth a look if you want a modern war movie.
                                Glad you liked it! Jones is almost unrecognizable in this film. Orlando Bloom is also surprisingly good. Very cool that they cast real vets in the film.

Also great that Milo Gibson (son of Mel) is in the cast and does so well.
                                Andrew Monroe
                                Pallid Hands
                                Last edited by Andrew Monroe; 05-30-2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X