What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
    Currently about 2/3 of the way through Forbidden Love, a cozy documentary about Canadian lesbians in the 1950s and 1960s. Recommend if you have the slightest interest in the topic. One of the talking heads is Ann Bannon, queen of the lesbian pulp fiction authors. Some screen time involves actors recreating a few scenes from her books.
    This is a Cancon classic they used to play on late night CBC all the time! My local arthouse theatre has had the excellent poster prominently displayed in its lobby for 20 years or so.

Comment

• The Banshees Of Inisherrin: well that was fucking bleak. Quite good. But bleak.

Set on a postage stamp sized Irish island during the Irish civil war there's not a lot to it. Colin Farrell is a boring man who loves his donkey (not in that way) and likes to go the pub at 2 with his mate Brendan Gleeson. For seemingly no good reason at all Gleeson upends Farrells life by telling him he doesn't want to see him anymore. More than that, he tells Farrell that each time Farrell approaches him in future he'll cut one of his own fingers.

On the surface it's all quite witty and funny but at heart it's a gloomy meditation on human bloody mindedness and hate. Makes for a film that feels completely inconsequential but also absolutely gutting. Didn't enjoy it but would recommend it.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• eight for silver (2021)

pretty old school, slow-burn werewolf horror flick, that opens with a gorgeous looking WWI montage, where a guy gets wounded and the field doctor removes two bullets but accidentally finds yet another special bullet (made of silver) in his abdomen. jump back 30 years where the actual story takes place featuring slaughtered gypsies, a wee bit of body horror and weird nightmares about a cursed scarecrow...
        this was way better than expected! they totally nailed that period setting and the design of the creatures, looking more like skinwalkers than actual werewolves (with the cursed person still hiding inside the body of the monster), has quite a unique spin to it.
        we even get a "the thing" inspired autopsy scene and some sideboob from kelly reilly (eden lake). I thought this was way better than the usual werewolf horror stuff nowadays, I'd might even call this the best of the genre since the wolfman (2010). recommended!

killer must kill again
        Last edited by killer must kill again; 03-12-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• The girlfriend is away in the city putting on shows for a few days so I have movie watching time. I've been putting it to good use.

Woman In The Dunes: I don't know how I've never seen this one. It's very much in my wheelhouse. Loved it. I did not know when I put it on that I was in for a 2 and 1/2 hour epic but I did not regret my choice. WHat a film.

The House Of Exorcism: I am the worlds biggest fan of Lisa And The Devil and I had still not seen this. What a toe curling experience. I was surprised at how much production value went into to the terrible new bits. Like the final exorcism, that belonged in a better movie. But jesus, how embarrassing for everyone involved.

The Story Of O: I am am somehow not on Just Jaekin's wavelength. Incredibly beautiful women, who are almost permanently naked in his films, should make for a good time. Particularly here where the permanently naked woman is Corrine Cleary, a massively underrated Eruo-babe who vies with Edwige for top spot on the rankings in my books. Maybe it's kind of like Hitchcock's description of suspense. You know how he describes showing a bomb ticking under the table is more exciting than the just showing an explosion. Just Jaekin is all explosion, no ticking.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• The Bogman
            Mid Louisiana made horror. About a Arkansas town that is known for Bigfoot sightings. Decently made,FX are all practical. Bogman looks decent. Bought this cause a buddy has a fairly big role as Nash leader of the killers for hire.

Pearl
            WTF. X was decent and I will watch it again. This......Man Ti West is slowly turning into someone where I keep hoping he reaches the highs of his first film,and he never does.

Comment

• I watched the Netflix and HBOMax docs on the Murdaugh Family murders. It's not really messed up, because it's just basically rich White people doing whatever they want to do in the south, but it's messed up because that family were generations of evil people.

Both docs are worth watching, though the Netflix one does spend a lot of time focusing on the boating accident.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                I watched the Netflix and HBOMax docs on the Murdaugh Family murders. It's not really messed up, because it's just basically rich White people doing whatever they want to do in the south, but it's messed up because that family were generations of evil people.

Both docs are worth watching, though the Netflix one does spend a lot of time focusing on the boating accident.
                That shit happened not far from me. He is a sociopath, obviously. The fact that it took so long to arrest him is prime evidence of their power in that county.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post

That shit happened not far from me. He is a sociopath, obviously. The fact that it took so long to arrest him is prime evidence of their power in that county.
                  I was thinking you were somewhere down there, Andrew! That's some seriously messed up shit, but I guess it's not abnormal at all haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post

I was thinking you were somewhere down there, Andrew! That's some seriously messed up shit, but I guess it's not abnormal at all haha.
                    The police have also reopened a case of a young guy found dead in the road there, first ruled a hit and run, now some suspicion that the surviving son was involved. This was a few years before the family murders. All kinds of rumors about the relationship between the Murdaugh son and the dead boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post

The police have also reopened a case of a young guy found dead in the road there, first ruled a hit and run, now some suspicion that the surviving son was involved. This was a few years before the family murders. All kinds of rumors about the relationship between the Murdaugh son and the dead boy.
                      Yeah, that featured heavily in the HBO doc, as well as the dead housekeeper that Murdaugh made over 4 million off of.

Comment

• Yeah, he offered to represent her sons to get the insurance money and then kept it. What a scumbag. And her death is very strange.

Comment

• John Wick: Chapter 4 (USA-Germany, 2023) 8/10

I am very torn on how I feel about this film. I dreaded my first watch of the previous sequels, due to my love of the original, only to have my expectations gloriously surpassed. The first three John Wick films are brilliant and near perfect love letters to Action film fans. They are filled with clever and intense moments and reach levels of entertainment that I just didn’t think film could reach for me. So its no surprise in this new woke world, that a film released in 2023 would fall short of my expectations. But with that said, Creed 3 and Maverick recently far surpassed my expectations. I was most surprised that I found the opening moments to be too over-the-top (or maybe too hokey is a better way to phrase it) even by John Wick standards. Laurence Fishburne’s Bird King is one of my least favorite characters of the previous films and his brief moments in 4 are even worse. I love the style that Japan brings in part 4, as well as Hiroyuki Sanada’s Continental Manager (Mortal Kombat, 47 Ronin). However, the long shootout was very similar to the finale of Part 3, sans Charon. It’s one the first times in the series I had the feeling of “been there, done that”, which is unfair but how I felt none-the-less. I then started to notice, to its detriment, that part 3 was going for more of an ensemble approach rather than just letting John Wick be the center of the film. I love Donnie Yen, but I came to see John Wick, not Caine. But at least he was well fleshed out. Shamier Anderson’s Tracker, just ate up runtime and felt more like a diversity addition than an important part of the story. Or maybe they were just looking for an excuse to add more dog moments for the soccer moms and dog lovers. And FWIW I enjoyed the dogs in Part 3 but was bored and annoyed (the pee scene was stupid) with the dog in Part 4. Lance Reddick’s Charon is my favorite character in the series and he had far too little screen time. As much as I enjoyed Ian Mcshane’s Winston in the previous installments I have finally grown a little tired of his theatrics. He’s been great but I’m over him. I was excited to see Clancy Brown and he did not disappoint. Its important to note that I was starting to get bored with the film until late when Scott Adkins made an appearance. He was glorious. His character was hilarious and I’m surprised how he’s grown as an actor. I love his fight, especially the water raining down. While I think it’s a missed opportunity that he didn’t do a flying roundhouse kick, he did still have some awesome kicks. Scott Adkins’ fight and the top-down (Hong Kong Massacre) shootout saved the film for me. If not for those I may not have been interested in eventually revisiting John Wick 4. I should also mention Bill Skarsgard’s Marquis made for a compelling villain. !!!!SPOILERS AHED!!!! I did enjoy the final moments, (the stair fight sequence is smart and top notch) but while I’m okay with how it ends, he didn’t finish what he set out to do. He started the film driven to kill everyone in the high table. He was willing to destroy his life and the lives of all the people who care about him to complete his revenge. But despite not completing his revenge quest, he was content with how things wrapped up. I feel like John Wick was saying, “we’re coming up on 3 hours in the fourth film, so I’m going to call it good so we can put a bow on this franchise”. It was a good ending for John Wick 4, but not for the series. But honestly, I’m content with these four films as a near permanent fixture on my soon to watch pile. I’m not interested in a 5th. These are films I’ll be revisiting every couple of years for the foreseeable future.

Extra Note: 1) I love John Wick’s “Ya” as a response to most things. 2) I fully expect that like “No Time To Die” I will grow to dislike John Wick 4 more with each viewing.
                          Jason C
                          Last edited by Jason C; 04-05-2023, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Private Lessons - This movie is really something else. What the fuck were they thinking? It's about a 15 ("going on 16") year old (played by a real 16 year old) who gets seduced by Sylvia Kristel and the two have a straight-faced love affair, including strip teases, bath tub encounters and actual sex. It's awkward, it's insane and it was really made. I couldn't believe it, considering it was 1981, which really isn't that long ago. It has a great scene near the end where Ed Begley Jr. impersonates a detective that's more entertaining than anything else in the film.
                            Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Found the tlc go app so film is on hold. Watching my 600lb life and return to amish.

Comment

• Living In Oblivion. I've seen this a bunch of times but it's always worth a rewatch. This is without a doubt the best depiction of what life is like on a low budget films set. Even though most of it is staged as the characters stress dreams the stuff that happens barely rates as an exaggeration. The imitation of Brad Pitt in Chad Palamino's character is absolutely brutal and exactly what I'd imagine a young Brad Pitt to be like on set. Love this film.

Comment

Working...
                                X