No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Spit On Your Grave 2 - This was surprisingly ambitious and suspenseful for this type of irredeemable junk. It's way better than the 2010 remake. I wouldn't dare recommend it to anyone but the people on this forum. It goes so far over the top it's sometimes even funny (one guy gets his face dunked into a toilet full of piss... followed by him being moved to an even dirtier stall to be finished off in a toilet filled with shit!). It was so disgusting I laughed out loud. Otherwise, though, this movie is savage and absolutely unrelenting. All of it is technically excellent, making it that much harder to watch. Think A SERBIAN FILM or something along those lines. I'd never watch it again.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      The is pretty bleak stuff. I put it on expecting some 80s camp and a bit of sleaze. Its directed by Bob Fosse for christ sake.
      I'm trying to think of a Fosse movie that isn't bleak. SWEET CHARITY maybe?

Comment

• Invisible Dr Mabuse - I'm working my way through the 60's Dr Mabuse series. I have to say, I enjoy their campy tone more than the Fritz Lang movies.
        I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• The Evil that men do-Got in the Shout Blu of it today. Got on the Tv Cut with extended scenes and sure it is 4:3 but looks decent and sounds good.

Might watch the unrated cut later on.

Comment

• The Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special: This probably isn't as bad as that Star Wars Xmas
            special from back in the 70s... but it belongs in that conversation.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Georgia Peaches AKA Follow that Car

This is a 1980 made for tv pilot movie. Corman produced it. Got Dirk Benedict as the lead a stock car racing moonshine running combo of both Duke Boys plus a dash of the Bandit..

Tanya Tucker-as one of two sisters. This one just got back from a tour singing all over. And she gets in the oddest situations. Kind of like what if Velma from Scooby Doo could sing and wore hot pants.

Kerrin Nunn-Lady from the band Berlin. She runs a junkyard/auto garage. Is younger sister of Tucker.

Sally Kirkland wants the land the jGarage is on for something. Nunn doesnt sell. So stolen cars are planted on the property. Cops raid. They get bailed out,and learn it is the Feds. Who want them to go undercover and investigate a tobacco smuggling ring.

So the two women get jobs singing at a bar in Charleston. And Dirk,Dusty something,becomes the local diner's cook and right hand man.

Ok yea made for tv pilot so budget would be low. But holy fuck was this fun. Wish I had seen this back in 80 when I was 6 or so.

Shout put it out years ago on one of those corman triple feature dvd sets. The one with Great Texas Dynamite Chase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                Shout put it out years ago on one of those corman triple feature dvd sets. The one with Great Texas Dynamite Chase.
                I keep waiting for a Blu-ray of that one. It's underrated.

Comment

• BEAR ISLAND (Don Sharp, 1979). More or less THE THING but nazis. Donald Sutherland, Richard Widmark, Christopher Lee, Vanessa Redgrave and Barbara Parkins. Looks great, passable story. Snow, submarine, avalanche, explosions, and eccentric snowmobilery. Canadian, eh.

Comment

• New York Ripper
                    Got the old ass Blue Underground DVD. She says she has never watched it. And liked the other Fulci I have shown her.

I don't know I love how this feels like a really sleazy episode of Law & Order SVU.

Comment

• The Running Man: I haven't seen this since I was a kid and even as a kid I thought it was some pretty tacky trash. As an adult it's definitely still tacky trash. There is a trace in this though, that at some point one of the screenwriters was interested in doing this movie as a clever, if bloody satire. Not a million miles from Robocop maybe. It's hard to believe the same guy wrote the lines "Hi, I'm your court appointed theatrical agent" and "because there's nothing funny about a dickless moron with a battery up his arse." Feels like we have two warring approaches here and the guy with the "dickless moron" japes got the nod from Arnie. Still, better than I expected.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

The Running Man: I haven't seen this since I was a kid and even as a kid I thought it was some pretty tacky trash. As an adult it's definitely still tacky trash. There is a trace in this though, that at some point one of the screenwriters was interested in doing this movie as a clever, if bloody satire. Not a million miles from Robocop maybe. It's hard to believe the same guy wrote the lines "Hi, I'm your court appointed theatrical agent" and "because there's nothing funny about a dickless moron with a battery up his arse." Feels like we have two warring approaches here and the guy with the "dickless moron" japes got the nod from Arnie. Still, better than I expected.
                        Yeah, sometimes Arnie's one-liners are distracting. The last time I watched TOTAL RECALL, his constant one-liners felt out of place and actually started to annoy me.

Comment

The Running Man: I haven't seen this since I was a kid and even as a kid I thought it was some pretty tacky trash. As an adult it's definitely still tacky trash. There is a trace in this though, that at some point one of the screenwriters was interested in doing this movie as a clever, if bloody satire. Not a million miles from Robocop maybe. It's hard to believe the same guy wrote the lines "Hi, I'm your court appointed theatrical agent" and "because there's nothing funny about a dickless moron with a battery up his arse." Feels like we have two warring approaches here and the guy with the "dickless moron" japes got the nod from Arnie. Still, better than I expected.
                          The Running Man is a film I watched countless times as a kid and every few years as an adult. It's not my favorite Arnold (that would be Total Recall and The Terminator), but it has some of my favorite moments. The "court appointed theatrical agent" is one of my favorite moments. I also adore all of Richard Dawson's moments and the creepy aspects of the show like the dance numbers and audience members. It's a cute gameshow with adoring fans, despite it centering on the murder of political prisoners. That's really good scifi. That said the film does take awhile to get going with a fairly mediocre start and unfortunately as the film builds going into the 3rd act, it hits a wall and loses all of its momentum right when Arnold is captured by the resistance. There are some great moments in the final minutes, but this slow down hurts the film. I still love all the cheesiness, one-liners and haunting pageantry of the murderous gameshow.

I imported the German UHD Mediabook and its a massive upgrade over the blu-rays I've seen. I also bought the VUDU UHD but haven't watched it yet.

There are quite a few one-liners I don't care for in this film but I get a warm fuzzy every time I hear:
                          Jim Brown's "No, last season's losers"
                          Sven-Ole Thorsen's "I've got to score some steroids."
                          Theatrical Agent "Use my back victim"
                          Jeese Ventura's "Are you ready for pain? Are you ready for suffering? lf the answer is yes, then you're ready for Captain Freedom's Workout."
                          Richard Dawson's "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is... just horrible. Words can't express what we're all feeling at this very moment. A great champion has fallen. We'll be back right after these important messages."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                            There are quite a few one-liners I don't care for in this film but I get a warm fuzzy every time I hear:
                            Jim Brown's "No, last season's losers"
                            Sven-Ole Thorsen's "I've got to score some steroids."
                            Theatrical Agent "Use my back victim"
                            Jeese Ventura's "Are you ready for pain? Are you ready for suffering? lf the answer is yes, then you're ready for Captain Freedom's Workout."
                            Richard Dawson's "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is... just horrible. Words can't express what we're all feeling at this very moment. A great champion has fallen. We'll be back right after these important messages."
                            We always enjoyed: "Hey! Christmas tree!" when Arnie's trying to lure Dynamo. Mainly because it was so dumb.

Comment

• Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964) - I bought the DVD from Classic Media / Universal for $5 weeks ago. I decided Christmas at 3 a.m. was a good time to watch. I got a little sleepy around the 40-minute mark, but I didn't rewind it to see what I missed. I seem to recall that there was an extra scene at the end with the elf dentist at work. It wasn't on the DVD. The biggest problems I had were the picture and the songs. This is a fullscreen TV special, so why does it play in widescreen on my new HDTV? (I got it in August, I think.) I tried over and over to adjust the settings, so it played in fullscreen. I skimmed through the Rankin / Bass documentary on the disc, and noticed that while it was mostly widescreen, there are scenes from Rudolph that played in fullscreen! I don't get why old TV shows are stretched into widescreen for these TVs. The songs stopped the program dead in its tracks. But it seems every children's cartoon made in the U.S. *must* include songs. That said, I love the title song. It's one of the best Christmas songs ever, in my opinion. I'll go through the special features at some later date. I'm tired and need some sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by James Reed View Post
                                Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964) - I bought the DVD from Classic Media / Universal for $5 weeks ago. I decided Christmas at 3 a.m. was a good time to watch. I got a little sleepy around the 40-minute mark, but I didn't rewind it to see what I missed. I seem to recall that there was an extra scene at the end with the elf dentist at work. It wasn't on the DVD. The biggest problems I had were the picture and the songs. This is a fullscreen TV special, so why does it play in widescreen on my new HDTV? (I got it in August, I think.) I tried over and over to adjust the settings, so it played in fullscreen. I skimmed through the Rankin / Bass documentary on the disc, and noticed that while it was mostly widescreen, there are scenes from Rudolph that played in fullscreen! I don't get why old TV shows are stretched into widescreen for these TVs. The songs stopped the program dead in its tracks. But it seems every children's cartoon made in the U.S. *must* include songs. That said, I love the title song. It's one of the best Christmas songs ever, in my opinion. I'll go through the special features at some later date. I'm tired and need some sleep.
                                Just want to say my favorite Christmas song is "Good King Wencelas" God, I love that song.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X