No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BARBARIAN - Another entry into the "don't look in the basement" and the one making the most waves out of the recent horror releases. I found it to be a fun quickie view, and as usual, ultimately disposable (not in a negative way, it's just a film coming from a long line of proverbial cousins, with more sure to come)

CAUGHT - A noiresque Max Ophuls film from 1949, about a young woman who marries a millionaire who turns out to be insane. Not one to be gaslit, she leaves to make her own way, and winds up working as receptionist in a doctor's office. Starting Robert Ryan, Barbera Bel Geddes, and James Mason. One of Scorsese's favorite films. I can see why.

Comment

• Ophuls' American noirs are first rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
        Ophuls' American noirs are first rate.
        Indeed.

Comment

• Morbius-Been wanting to see this since we saw the trailer in August 2020 before the New Mutants movie. And well it ain't bad. Decent story and acting. A bit too much CGI for me. But not bad.

Comment

• Bullet Train: This has been getting bad notices. It's a little cute but I thought it was alright. I like Brad Pitt in a comedy role and the two British hitmen were fun too. The film didn't give Andrew Koji much to do which will be a disappointment to all Warrior fans. I got a little lost with the story in the end but for some Guy Rithcie-esque thrills with good actors I think you can do a lot worse.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I just watched the 2012 movie Found. Thought it had a great premise but was hampered by its budget (the movie cost $8,000). Last night, I watched Mississippi Burning (1988) for the first time --- a tough film, I liked it. After that, I was in the mood for bad '90s erotic thrillers, so I watched The Temp (1993) and The Crush (1993) back to back.

Tonight I have a few options; not sure what I'll watch yet though.

Comment

• I watched CRUMB again. It's my favourite documentary, I think. I love watching it when I'm depressed, it always makes me feel better.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Watched another downbeat favourite this afternoon, ivansxtc. It's one of the best and most affecting movies about the dark side of showbiz. Bernard Rose's best movie too.

Comment

• Even though I was told my pretty much mother in law was getting me the blu ray for Xmas,my lady last night got Clerks III digitally.

Damn that was good. Yea I get why people might not like it. But this was a great way to end the franchise. I do wonder what all was cut out.

Comment

• Sol Madrid (1968):

David McCullum is a tough as nails Interpol dude and Telly Savalas is the drug lord he's working. McCullum is using Savalas to move masses heroin to the states while he strives to keep a Mafiosa's hot blonde ex from getting murdered. Exactly what the thinking is behind the way he goes about thing is murky for a long time but it comes together.

It's fast, tough and smart. Tons of scenes of Savalas and McCullum going toe to toe which are a pleasure. There's a bit in here showing how they move the drugs to the States that I assume was the basis for a key scene in The Living Daylights. Two thumbs up.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Rewatched Life of Crime and Fargo. The former is underrated, a good Elmore Leonard adaptation that manages to be funny but also a bit creepy, good cast.

Fargo, I assume I don't need to go into...

Comment

• Bullet Train - Ugh. I could only watch about 45 minutes and then I realized that I don't like these kind of self-satisfied, Guy Ritchie-inspired action comedies any more. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't exciting either. Not at all. Although it has original shots and ideas, it just seems like a carbon copy of various elements from the last 20-odd years of Hollywood action films. It's inspiration seems to be nothing more than other movies, particularly of recent vintage. The violence is brutal but somehow inconsequential, as if it's a cartoon and nobody is really getting hurt. I've had it with "colourful" characters in these type of films, too. Everyone is a smart-ass and/or quirky and it just seems forced at this point in the game. Plus, why does it have to be 127 minutes?

Comment

• Electric Dreams - This is an unusual romantic/musical/sci-fi comedy from 1984. It's about a nerdy guy who gets a home computer/security system right before he has a meet-cute with his new neighbour (played by Virginia Madsen). The computer sets up his home (much like a modern Smart system) but soon becomes sentient and it starts to believe its also in love with the new neigbour! This is one of those singular, inventive and unpredictable movies that is admirably confident and sees its wild (for the time) concept through to the end. It's like a breezy (though sometimes pretentious) version of DEMON SEED, the likely inspiration IMO. I'm also convinced that Spike Jonze must've seen it and been thinking about it when he conceived his great film HER - it has some interesting similarities. The film is also technically top-notch with some particularly impressive cinematography and editing. It's also very, very '80s, in the best way possible.

Comment

• Star 80: 80s true crime about playmate Dorothy Strattens rise to centrefold status and b-movie stardom until her murder via shotgun at the hands of her husband Paul Snider.

The is pretty bleak stuff. I put it on expecting some 80s camp and a bit of sleaze. Its directed by Bob Fosse for christ sake. This is instead a pretty harrowing character study of Snider with Stratten a side player. The sleaze is there though. A bit dubious doing a story like this so soon after the crime. Extra points for getting Carroll Baker as the mum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                                Star 80: 80s true crime about playmate Dorothy Strattens rise to centrefold status and b-movie stardom until her murder via shotgun at the hands of her husband Paul Snider.

The is pretty bleak stuff. I put it on expecting some 80s camp and a bit of sleaze. Its directed by Bob Fosse for christ sake. This is instead a pretty harrowing character study of Snider with Stratten a side player. The sleaze is there though. A bit dubious doing a story like this so soon after the crime. Extra points for getting Carroll Baker as the mum.
                                There was also a TV movie of this sad story from 1981 starring Jamie Lee Curtis - DEATH OF A CENTERFOLD.. Equally bleak and depressing. Curtis was excellent in the role. She should have had a more mainstream career. Very underrated.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X