What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pentaverate
    Torturously unfunny (can Ken Jeong retire already? Goddamn I hate that guy)
    Mike Myers miniseries stretching the "mystery" out over 6 lame episodes only
    to reach the current year predictable conclusion that white men need to die to
    make way for diversity (without any white men of course). Soooo tired of this
    hateful BS. Also, something about climate change. Complete dogshit!
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Alien Private Eye - The first 15 minutes of this movie is the most perfect 15 minutes imaginable. It's bliss. The rest is also consistently entertaining and well-worth watching if you're looking for some brilliant unintentional laughs. Kilgore is a great villain.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Panama total piece of shit b-movie with Mel Gibson and Wings Hausers son. How come all b-movies today feel so disjointed and poorly made? I get the impression that they cut as much material as possible before even starting shooting just to save money, and somehow hope the film will work anyways, and it never does. (Also, most DOPs really can't shoot digital without the film looking extremely cheap)
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• v/h/s/94

worth viewing for the 3rd segment alone (same guy who did the safe haven segment from v/h/s/2). imho the completely bonkers ending even saved the lame segment about the white supremacist group. the last part of the wraparound story sucked though. all in all better than expected.

hail ratmaa!

Comment

• Hard to Be A God

This modern but B&W Russian sf medieval epic, an adaptation of the novel by the Strugatsky brothers, immerses you in its world of mud, rain and the grotesque with little explanation. Beautifully shot and with a great central performance this film will test the patience of lots of people but those with a taste for arty extremes should love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
              v/h/s/94

worth viewing for the 3rd segment alone (same guy who did the safe haven segment from v/h/s/2). imho the completely bonkers ending even saved the lame segment about the white supremacist group. the last part of the wraparound story sucked though. all in all better than expected.

hail ratmaa!
              My favourite was Simon Barrett's "The Empty Wake". It was actually scary.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• The Godfather: I've been watching a bunch of Coppola interviews recently and he talks a lot about evolving the form of film. Each time I've seen him discuss this he eventually settles on shooting films live as a logical evolution. That seems like a possibly fun, probably stupid, novelty to me. In the more recent interviews he acknowledges the quality of modern tv but somehow passes over it as the evolution of the form, just seeing it as longer film. Listen Coppola, changing the format of film from, at most, 3 hours or so long to, say, 5 seasons of 10 hour long episodes is changing the form much more than filming the same screenplay live. The revolution happened and you missed it.

I mention this because watching The Godfather I can't help thinking how much better this would be a tv show. It's not the movie people romanticise it as. "It's not a story about gangsters, it's a story about family" etc. Bollocks. This is a gangster film where some of the protagonists are related. If this was a story about family where are the women? When Vitos in the hospital and the police clear out his guards how do they get rid of Mumma Corleone? No way the Dons wife wouldn't be sitting on his shoulder when he's maybe dying. She should be a presence in this film but she's not.

Anyway, I hadn't seen The Godfather since I was a teenager and I'm returning to it now because of The Offer. Now The Offer, after a terrible first episode, is amazing. A real demonstration of how much fun the television format is. There's time to build characters and time for those characters to have complex interrelations. The Godfather in 3 hours just doesn't have that time. It gives you dot points. You know: Vito makes a deal for Micheal to come out of hiding, cut to Micheal is back and running the family with Vito as Consigliere (would never happen by the way, succession doesn't happen like that and I wouldn't believe even if I saw it). If you want to tell a story this sweeping there's no other way to do it in the cinema format.

Looking forward to getting into Part 2. It has that best sequel of all time reputation. I recall not liking it anywhere near as much as the original when I was young but we'll see.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• freddy got fingered

yikes! I guess I will never be the same person again after watching this. rip torn deserves to win an oscar posthumously for suffering through this ordeal.
                  I hope this gets a rerun at the cinemas. shit like the horse cock or the paralyzed girlfriend who wants to suck tom green's dick all the time just wouldn't fly today.

vinegar syndrome, I want this on bru-lay with a horse dick slipcover!

Comment

• Daughters of Darkness on Shudder

Somehow never seen this widely praised Eurohorror classic and it is as good as they say. Terrific score, atmosphere and super sexy vampires.

Comment

• Interceptor; watching this one for its director Matthew Reilly. Very interesting career Reilly for anyone of an entrepenurial bent. He's a terrible Australian writer who became a worldwide best seller thanks to sheer moxie and can-do attitude. Now the man has talked his way into directing a Netflix movie.

This is very much inline with his books. Elsa Pataky has to go full John McClaine to protect a US missile Interceptor base when some very annoying terrorists attempt to take it. It's the kind of movie where you know what the characters are going to say before they do. For instance, our heroine has a gun to her head. Her assailant is an ex US military man who's turned against his country because he "doesn't recognise it anymore". She says: "you're not going to kill me, you're not a murder" and I shouted out before he could reply, "No, I'm a fucking patriot." Word for word. Boom!

Absolute shite. But then I'm not a DTV action guy. I'm curious what those more learned in the genre, say the Swede, make of it.
                      Last edited by Dom D; 06-09-2022, 04:47 PM.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• French Sex Murders - A great cast in a slightly flat and rambling sortagiallo but the score and vibes made it good late night viewing.

Comment

• I checked out the first few minutes of the atrocious Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers movie that was shat out onto Disney+ recently.

Holy fuck. About a minute in, my wife actually said "What the fuck is this garbage?" a minute later, she followed it up with "Why are you still watching this?" and having no credible answer to that, I stopped it and erased it from my viewing history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                            I checked out the first few minutes of the atrocious Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers movie that was shat out onto Disney+ recently.

Holy fuck. About a minute in, my wife actually said "What the fuck is this garbage?" a minute later, she followed it up with "Why are you still watching this?" and having no credible answer to that, I stopped it and erased it from my viewing history.
                            The trailer looked terrible which is a shame as the newish Disney+ animated series from a French studio is quite gonzo in a classic cartoon sense and nicely animated.

Comment

• Hustle: If you're watching this one it probably helps if you're a fan of the NBA. It so happens that not only am I an NBA fan but I also happen to be a Sixers fan and the makers of this Netlix/Adam Sandler filck obviously had the Sixers fully on board for production- which is is interesting because it's about a hard working scout getting screwed by the incompetent club owner. Doesn't seem like the sorta thing a club owner would want to sign off on but bless 'em. Anyway, lots of Sixers in this. Harris gets a lot of screen time. Thybulle gets a couple lines. As does Doc Rivers. A non-Sixer in Anthony Edwards is probably the most charismatic character in the movie as he gives our lead character the business in a couple full on court scrimmages. Hell, even The Professor turns up for a scene- if you know who The Professor is you're probably in deep enought that you'll dig the movie.

It's a sports movie. You know what you're going to get. The training montage goes for 7 minutes. No really, 7 minutes and it's not the only one in the film. I thought it was a pretty good sports movie though. Never liked Adam Sandler in anything before. Liked him fine in this. Feel good, easy watching, with convincing basketball scenes. If you watch many sports shows you know they never get basketball right on screen so points just for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post

The trailer looked terrible which is a shame as the newish Disney+ animated series from a French studio is quite gonzo in a classic cartoon sense and nicely animated.
                                I love the new Chip and Dale and Mickey Mouse series. New Ducktales started strong, but kinda fell off in season 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X