What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by null View Post

Wha? You're saying you haven't actually ever seen it? I know you're an Aussie and all, but ... Damn, man, FIX that. Probably not the best of the teen sex comedy/dramas but definitely in the top 5. Well worth the time.
    Yes. What he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by null View Post

Wha? You're saying you haven't actually ever seen it? I know you're an Aussie and all, but ... Damn, man, FIX that. Probably not the best of the teen sex comedy/dramas but definitely in the top 5. Well worth the time.
      My girl said something similar when i said 'we should watch that.' Apparently she's seen it a dozen times and it's a favourite and some how, over the many years we've been together, it hasn't come up.

I mentally had it classed with the likes of Porkies and life is only so long. It was pretty clear from the documentary that it's not Porkies.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I went to see The Northman yesterday - my second theatrical outing after over two years away, I was really getting wild and out of control with all the movie action - and thought it was quite good. It’s a sort of fable or lost bit of viking mythology and is suitably fully of violent mayhem punctuated by absolutely beautiful shots and careful framing. I enjoyed it quite a bit and am glad I got out to see it on the big screen, as I dunno how well it would work at home. I was reminded of The Green Knight, which I watched with a distracted group on a small-ish television and barely audible audio and the film absolutely did not work form me, but presumably it would have been suitably immersive in a theater with the music booming and so forth; I imagine The Northman is a similar sort of film. I was also impressed that the film was so thoroughly metal without actually having a metal soundtrack. Of Eggers’ films I liked this more than The Witch but not as much as The Lighthouse. Highly recommended for any of you Vinland Saga fans who were hoping the manga and/or anime would get a spiritual live-action adaptation.

Comment

• I recently subscribed to Starz, so I went through the On-demand section to write down all of the movies I want to watch. I saw that ERASER is on there and I was like, fuck yeah, so I wanted to check it out to make sure it was in the OAR. Of course, it wasn't (1.78 instead of 2.35) but that brings me to another pet peeve of mine concerning cable providers altering aspect ratios: I can't stand it when they show the opening credits in the proper AR and then it switches to their modified bullshit ratio once the first scene begins. It's so obnoxious, actually letting you know that you're watching it incorrectly. This BS was OK back in the VHS days when we didn't know any better, but not in 2022.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            I recently subscribed to Starz, so I went through the On-demand section to write down all of the movies I want to watch. I saw that ERASER is on there and I was like, fuck yeah, so I wanted to check it out to make sure it was in the OAR. Of course, it wasn't (1.78 instead of 2.35) but that brings me to another pet peeve of mine concerning cable providers altering aspect ratios: I can't stand it when they show the opening credits in the proper AR and then it switches to their modified bullshit ratio once the first scene begins. It's so obnoxious, actually letting you know that you're watching it incorrectly. This BS was OK back in the VHS days when we didn't know any better, but not in 2022.
            That shit drives me nuts. First, "I don't want black bars on the top and bottom!" and now, "I don't want gray/black bars on the sides!"

Comment

• Fast Times At Ridgemont High: I was surprised watching the credits when Cameron Crowds name turned up as screenwriter. I didn't know he was working back then. He's so specifically a late 90s guy in my head. Anyway this very much feels like a Cameron Crowe film. A few thoughts:

- the casting director should be shot. With teen movies of this period you know the characters won't look the right ages but they should look the same age. It's disorienting when your watching Jennifer Jason Leigh at 19 semi realistically playing 15 dating a guy who looks like he's pushing 30 also playing 15. Her sex scene in the pool house looks like statutory rape.
              - huh, That's Nic Cage bouncing round in the background as a very noticeable extra.
              - Skin called Cates red bikini scene the greatest piece of nudity in any film. Its a contender but I'm guessing the talking head was a teenager at just the right time. It's funny how this type of film can sear itself in that way.
              - first time I've liked Sean Penn in a film.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                Fast Times At Ridgemont High: I was surprised watching the credits when Cameron Crowds name turned up as screenwriter. I didn't know he was working back then. He's so specifically a late 90s guy in my head. Anyway this very much feels like a Cameron Crowe film.
                So, Crowe wrote this as a long form piece (that turned into a book before publication) and then wrote the screenplay. There's even more backstory, if you're interested.

Would also recommend "Almost Famous" if you haven't seen that either. It's about Crowe's experiences before/at Rolling Stone that eventually led to him writing "Fast Times..."

Comment

- the casting director should be shot. With teen movies of this period you know the characters won't look the right ages but they should look the same age. It's disorienting when your watching Jennifer Jason Leigh at 19 semi realistically playing 15 dating a guy who looks like he's pushing 30 also playing 15.
                  He wasn't supposed to be 15, he was 26.

Comment

He wasn't supposed to be 15, he was 26.
                    That was the guy in the bullpen at the baseball diamond. The guy she shagged in the pool house was a classmate, no? Or have I totally fucked up this viewing?

Comment

Fast Times At Ridgemont High: I was surprised watching the credits when Cameron Crowds name turned up as screenwriter. I didn't know he was working back then. He's so specifically a late 90s guy in my head. Anyway this very much feels like a Cameron Crowe film. A few thoughts:

- the casting director should be shot. With teen movies of this period you know the characters won't look the right ages but they should look the same age. It's disorienting when your watching Jennifer Jason Leigh at 19 semi realistically playing 15 dating a guy who looks like he's pushing 30 also playing 15. Her sex scene in the pool house looks like statutory rape.
                      - huh, That's Nic Cage bouncing round in the background as a very noticeable extra.
                      - Skin called Cates red bikini scene the greatest piece of nudity in any film. Its a contender but I'm guessing the talking head was a teenager at just the right time. It's funny how this type of film can sear itself in that way.
                      - first time I've liked Sean Penn in a film.
                      Well, to be fair, everyone is entitled to an opinion lol.

You are correct, the guy in the bullpen is 26. The guy in the pool house is Damone, who is a senior (or something like that).

If you get the Criterion version of the disc, it has the TV version which features wayyy more Cage. I think he's actually credited as Coppola on this one.

Phoebe Cates, I've been in love with since I saw her in Gremlins. I love that scene.

Sean Penn is alright in my book, but he's amazing here.

This is one of my favourite flicks; check out Crowe's book if you can ever find it.

​​​​​​​

Comment

That was the guy in the bullpen at the baseball diamond. The guy she shagged in the pool house was a classmate, no? Or have I totally fucked up this viewing?
                        Oops, my bad. I read "guy who looks like he's pushing 30" and I immediately thought of Ron Johnson at "The Cinch".

You're actually right about Robert Romanus (who played Damone) - he was in his mid-20s when they filmed the movie.

Comment

• The Punisher (1989) - This is one of my favourite comic book movies, but I've seen it too many times. Dolph sounds like he's had a bad head cold since 1985. I watched the workprint version and what a treat! It has all of the cut violence (in better quality than the included SD unrated version) and the first 20 minutes is completely different, clearing up some relationship questions raised by the theatrical cut. This will be my go-to cut from now on. The Umbrella BD is phenomenal. It has three cuts, a Goldblatt commentary and interview and a brief interview with Dolph. Region free as well.

The Punisher (2004) - Underrated and fun adaptation with Thomas Jane. It's unusually sadistic, back when Marvel was doing R-rated movies. It should've been a franchise with Jane, although I'm a big fan of WAR ZONE as well.

Comment

• Gone done a full Riddick marathon. It's funny watching this when I'm most used to Vin in the FF movies. In those he's impossible to understand. You want to shake him and shout "ennunciate man!" Here he has good, clear diction. Who knew that mumble was an artistic choice?

PITCH BLACK: This is a profoundly ugly movie. All those blue tinted shots and overly contrasted scenes to simulate an alien environment. It looks profoundly cheap. It had a $20 odd million budget which I guess is cheap for sci fi action but it looks cheaper. Vins character doesn't quite tally with what he becomes in the next two films. Still, solid Alien style thrills. Unexcpetional but passable.

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK: This was an odd choice to go straight from a survival horror story to the standard hundred million dollar "chosen one to save the universe" schtick. This starts off grim. The first third is all bad action that is impossible to care about. It picks up after that. The film has great structure and from when Reddick arrives on the prison planet it's on rails. Has a cool Army Of The Dead inspired ending where Riddick winds up in charge of the galaxy. Had me wondering where they were going to go from there. Turns out nowhere particular. The third film sees that ending as a dead end and goes charging back to the first films scenario.

RIDDICK: Unexpectedly the series peaks with the third film. It quickly writes off the previous film and settles into a small scale story of Riddick killing off a bunch of bounty hunters while also surviving some nasty local bugs. This is fast, tight, solid characterisation and leans heavily into the cool tough guy dialogue that is the series strength. This seems to have slipped under the radar but I rate it as very solid indeed.

Overall I enjoyed the rewatch of the first 2 more than expected. The third, on a first viewing, I rate as a minor gem. I'd do a 4th film if there was one going.

Comment

• Blacklight. Liam Neeson continues his trajectory downwards in shittier and shittier action movies. At least this one had some action, but it was really bad in terms of plot, acting and felt extremely lacklustre from everyone involved.
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

The Punisher (1989) - This is one of my favourite comic book movies, but I've seen it too many times. Dolph sounds like he's had a bad head cold since 1985. I watched the workprint version and what a treat! It has all of the cut violence (in better quality than the included SD unrated version) and the first 20 minutes is completely different, clearing up some relationship questions raised by the theatrical cut. This will be my go-to cut from now on. The Umbrella BD is phenomenal. It has three cuts, a Goldblatt commentary and interview and a brief interview with Dolph. Region free as well.
                                Oooh, didn't know about the alternate cuts. Need to order this soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X