What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
    The Florida Project (Sean Baker, 2017). Fantastic. Going to spend the whole summer running free in an Orlando motel and grownups can eat shit, except for Willem Dafoe. No heartbreak will crush my own private Disneyworld.

Should probably get around to Tangerine now.
    This has one of the best "fuck you''s ever. The camera literally zooming into her mouth as she's screaming it. Beautiful.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Nightmare Alley (194something). This is the better version of the story. Few reasons:
      - For a start it's an hour shorter. That counts for a lot with me. The films tell an almost identical story and the earlier version gets out the door an hour earlier and I'm not sure it's missing anything.
      - Tyrone Power has a better character than the one given to Cooper. He's a right, manipulative, sociopath from his first moment right on through to the end. Coppers has a bit more of an arc. I don't buy the arc.
      - Molly just makes no sense in the remake. In the original she's very undeveloped as well, however she always acts in a way that makes sense. She doesn't start complaining until she's told to dress up and pretend to be the dead girl. That's a fair complaint. I can understand that. I don't buy Molly's issues in the remake.

But yes, very similar movies but I enjoyed the hell out of one and found the other a struggle.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Philip Haas' The Blood Oranges, an adaptation of a John Hawkes subversive and decadent counterculture novel.

I really liked Haas' The Music of Chance and Angel & Insects but lost track of him after that. This stars Charles Dance, Sheryl Lee and has a great score by Angelo Badalamenti. Just started it but it is certainly odd to actually hear Hawkes dialogue and experience the muted surrealist tone of it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          Batman and Batman Returns. I saw both these at the cinema when Batmania ruled the world (sidenote, my home city was originally called Batmania. I've always thought we should change it back to that if just for scoring Batman premieres). I've seen the first a few times but I don't think I've seen the sequel since those cinema viewings.

Time has been unkind to these films in a way it has been to very few others. At the time these felt impossibly lavish. Now I'm just super aware of the size of the sets. Everything is very constrained to fit within their boundaries. You can really watch Burton struggle to stage action sequences across these small stages. The miniature work also is often super obvious. Bladerunners miniatures still look great. These ones are stylish but janky.

I think the first is by far the better flick. There's that weird bit where Wayne liquors Basinger up and then bangs her on the first date while sober himself that will really jump out at modern audiences but otherwise it's mostly fine.

The second is strange though. No wonder Keaton didn't want to return. Bruce Wayne doesn't get a scene till over half an hour into the film and Batman is reduced to a side character while the villains run amok. It makes for uncomfortable viewing though. Its a kids movie where every other line is a double entendre or a come on.

Penguin: "Id like to fill her void."

Huh?

Batman: "Its just hard for me.'
          Catwoman: 'I'd say it's semi hard."

No! Exactly how flaccid Bruce's penis is should not be a topic of conversation in a kiddie flick.

Its a trying film with that baggy pacing that is a Burton hallmark. It has a reputation as being the better film but I don't see it.
          Keaton's decision not to return was due to Tim Burton leaving. He loved making both Batman and Batman Returns, and loved working with Burton on Beetlejuice prior to that, but the controversy over Batman Returns being as dark and violent as it was made Burton walk away, and Keaton didn't want to play the part for anyone else.

Comment

• Queens of Evil/Le Regine: Favola Thrilling (1970) - Fantastically unique fairy tale. With Ray Lovelock playing Goldilocks to Haydee Pollitoff, Silvia Monti, and Evelyn Stewart's three sisters. Slow burn with a fun payoff. 7/10

Ya know, 98% of the time, while watching a film, i think of something that would double up nicely with it. But for this one, i got nothin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
              Queens of Evil/Le Regine: Favola Thrilling (1970) - Fantastically unique fairy tale. With Ray Lovelock playing Goldilocks to Haydee Pollitoff, Silvia Monti, and Evelyn Stewart's three sisters. Slow burn with a fun payoff. 7/10

Ya know, 98% of the time, while watching a film, i think of something that would double up nicely with it. But for this one, i got nothin.
              Girl Slaves of Morgana LeFay?
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post

Girl Slaves of Morgana LeFay?
                Hah, i did go and pull that one off the shelf. But i've never watched it as of yet, so i wasn't sure. Now i'll need to give it a spin soon.

Comment

Queens of Evil/Le Regine: Favola Thrilling (1970) - Fantastically unique fairy tale. With Ray Lovelock playing Goldilocks to Haydee Pollitoff, Silvia Monti, and Evelyn Stewart's three sisters. Slow burn with a fun payoff. 7/10

I'd be inclined to suggest 'Femina Ridens' or 'Baba Yaga', from a "genre-defying, politically-charged Italian pop art spectacular" POV.

Or alternatively, you could cross the Atlantic and reach for something like 'Blood Sabbath' or 'A Name For Evil', from the "weird hippie shit going down in the woods" angle?
                  https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                  http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BW Haggar View Post

I'd be inclined to suggest 'Femina Ridens' or 'Baba Yaga', from a "genre-defying, politically-charged Italian pop art spectacular" POV.

Or alternatively, you could cross the Atlantic and reach for something like 'Blood Sabbath' or 'A Name For Evil', from the "weird hippie shit going down in the woods" angle?
                    Yup, of the movies i've seen, FEMINA RIDENS is probably the closest match i could come up with, but ultimately the vibe is quite different. I did go with BABA YAGA for the witch/surrealism angle, but it is a bit too urban and dark. BLOOD SABBATH is one i didn't even think of that might work. I need to catch up with NAME FOR EVIL, it's on the shelf simply because of Samamthe Eggar.

Comment

• on the silver globe (1988)

mind-blowing visuals meets total insanity! took me 4 sittings to finish this beast of a movie. over two hours of actors in close-ups rambling like mental patients + summarising voice-overs for the missing parts of the movie is definitely too much for the human brain in one go. surprisingly zulawskis dark science-fiction masterpiece even makes eraserhead look like an ordinary episode of full house. they even topped that iconic scene from cannibal holocaust by multiplying it and making it more gruesome. in the end it felt like the psychic bird creatures, who roam the planet, messed with the viewers brain exactly like they did with the doomed astronauts and their descendants.
                      killer must kill again
                      Last edited by killer must kill again; 03-14-2022, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I need to catch up with NAME FOR EVIL, it's on the shelf simply because of Samamthe Eggar.
                        'A Name For Evil' is a really weird one. It's like a boring, made-for-TV haunted house movie which has taken LSD and gone insane.

With apologies for the blatant plug, I wrote a review of it just before Xmas.
                        https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                        http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The Suicde Squad which has a profoundly dumb title but rises above that to at least be a hell of a lot better than original. Which is saying very little of course but it is mostly enjoyable.

I was watching because I had sort of, kind of, enjoyed Peacemaker. That one definitely showed signs that it was a bit rushed on the script front. A lot of it felt very first drafty. The stuff you write when you're just desperate to fill pages. I figured the movie shouldn't have that issue and would be worth a look.

This does have most of the stuff that made the tv series watchable and none of the stuff that made it look like it needed another 6 months to bake. It does however add the scale of a modern blockbuster which is always a bit obnoxious and overwhelming. But, hey, it had characters and personality and some laughs.

Largely a good time. Way too long and a bit structurally unsound as well. There's a half hour section in the middle where it dies. Still better than it needed to be.

Comment

• haunted (1995)

this might be the best use of a body double in movie history! I totally believed I was watching kate beckinsale in various states of nudity the whole time.
                            basically this is "the others" without nicole kidman but with a n̶a̶k̶e̶d̶ kate beckinsale and some weird looking 90s cgi.

Comment

• My Bloody Birthday aka Clownery-Saw the DVD cheap about a month ago and grabbed. Put it on to watch the other night and learned it is a modern Italy horror movie. Kind of a mixture of a giallo and a mid 80s slasher. While made in Italy it was filmed iin English,which adds a weird feel to all the dialogue.

A college age girl had something happen as a child on her birthday. So she refuses to celebrate her birthday,and keeps seeing these two clowns all over.

You got that kind of nightmare logic you would see in films like Night Killer,decent mostly practical FX work. And some odd clown fetish stuff.

It is up on Youtube as Clownery and on TUBI as My Bloody Birthday.

Comment

• Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                                haunted (1995)

this might be the best use of a body double in movie history! I totally believed I was watching kate beckinsale in various states of nudity the whole time.
                                basically this is "the others" without nicole kidman but with a n̶a̶k̶e̶d̶ kate beckinsale and some weird looking 90s cgi.
                                I mentioned this one in the Dead All Along thread. I had no idea that was Kate's bodydouble. You've totally ruined the movie for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X