No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnie and Moskowitz - This is one of the hardest-to-see Cassavetes films (the DVD went OOP before I was even into him), so I was pleased to see that it showed up on Hollywood Suite. Ater watching it, I have to say it's not one of my favourites. You definitely have to be in a certain mood for Cassavetes and I just don't think I was feeling it. It's a really manic, angry romantic sort-of comedy with lots of shouting and complaining and pain. It was really grating on my nerves, which also happened to me the last time I watched FACES. Again, it's very likely that seeing it in a different frame of mind might change my opinion, but I wouldn't revisit it any time soon. I think it's worth noting that the first time I saw HUSBANDS, I hated it. It's now one of my favourite films of all time.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by unclefred View Post
      Seven Shawls of Yellow Silk. Nice Giallo known internationally with the dumb title, Crimes of the Black Cat.
      Originally posted by Spaghetti Monkey View Post
      ^Heheh, the Dagored DVD was non-anamorphic, ran at PAL speed, and was @ 4 minutes shorter than the Cauldron Blu, but it did have the Italo titles...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seven Shawls (2).jpg Views:	12 Size:	146.6 KB ID:	387651

which reminds me of ... did anyone ever grabbed that cauldron blu-ray of crimes of the black cat? never saw any review or screenshots.

Comment

• Yeah, the print is a bit dark and dirty at times, but it's certainly better than anything i've ever seen before. I don't have any way to do caps on Blu's unfortunately or i would. It also runs 1:38:38.

Comment

• We Need to Talk About Cosby - Excellent, if pretty damn devastating, 4-part Showtime series. Like many of us here, I grew up with The Cosby Show, so it's hard to watch and, at times, infuriating. It doesn't dwell too much on the graphic details of the assaults (like that revolting Michael Jackson doc from a few years ago) but it has several accounts from victims that are really well-integrated into the doc. The complexity comes from the fact that Cosby is a monster but also hugely influential and a pivotal part of the childhood of many of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            We Need to Talk About Cosby - Excellent, if pretty damn devastating, 4-part Showtime series. Like many of us here, I grew up with The Cosby Show, so it's hard to watch and, at times, infuriating. It doesn't dwell too much on the graphic details of the assaults (like that revolting Michael Jackson doc from a few years ago) but it has several accounts from victims that are really well-integrated into the doc. The complexity comes from the fact that Cosby is a monster but also hugely influential and a pivotal part of the childhood of many of us.
            Yeah, I am watching this right now, and damn. What an incredible monster. It's very striking how many similarities there were between the behaviour of Bill Cosby and OJ Simpson in multiple ways.

Comment

• The Adventures of Buckaroo Bandai in the 8th Dimension and Tank Girl. Somehow I've never seen either of these two. I got the MGM service the other day though. Seems like a pretty comprehensive collection of MGM titles minus the jewel in the crown, Bond. Such a shame MGM sold all their classics... It would be great to have them all on here as well. Anyway both these are on there and it seemed a fitting double bill.

I preferred Buckaroo. They set up such a funky character with Weller in the lead. It got a bit tiresome once it got a plot though. I would have preferred to just watch Buckaroo do cool shit and then rock out on stage.

Tank Girl.... eh.... Its got great energy. Sometimes it feels a little Waterworld-esque. Most importantly I just didn't like the character. Its tricky to make an obnoxious character enjoyable to watch. This doesn't pull it off.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Boss Level - This was surprisingly fun and involving. It would've been great to see at the theater.

Comment

• Copshop - Pretty good action flick from Joe Carnahan that owes a bit to ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13. I think Carnahan is somewhat underrated; looking at the films he's done I've enjoyed several of them: NARC, THE GREY, STRETCH and BOSS LEVEL. I remember not really liking his most popular film, SMOKIN' ACES, but I'm going to revisit it soon. I also like the fact that he co-writes a lot of them as well.

The Killers (1964) - Solid Don(ald) Siegel TV movie with an incredible cast: Lee Marvin, John Cassavetes, Angie Dickinson (so hot and looking identical to Ellen Barkin in her prime), Norman Fell, fucking Ronald Reagan as a bad guy and, best of all, the great Clu Gulager in the biggest role I've ever seen him in outside of ROTLD. The movie is really just average, but watching all of these guys together is a joy. The Criterion DVD has an awesome interview with Gulager as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                    Short Cuts - This remains one of the best films ever made. I've seen it several times and it never fails to be completely engrossing.
                    I watched Short Cuts once and hated it. I do plan on revisiting it, if for no other reason than Julianne Moore's bush, but can you tell me what makes this film so great? I want to like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                      nothing but trouble (1991)

seems like I always forget how bad this really is, right after watching it. I saw this two times as a kid on tv and despised it, 5 or 6 years ago I watched a murky dvd-rip to refresh my memory and hated it, now I watched the new shout! blu-ray and ... it's still a trainwreck! but hey, tupac shakur, a cute demi moore and the production design is ridiculously good. I'll probably watch it again in 5 years ...
                      I remember hating this film as a kid. About a decade ago I figured I give it revisit, expecting to find a brilliant gem that could only be appreciated with more mature eyes. Nope, it was absolute slog to get through.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post

I watched Short Cuts once and hated it. I do plan on revisiting it, if for no other reason than Julianne Moore's bush, but can you tell me what makes this film so great? I want to like it.
                        I'm too lazy.

Comment

• I'd say it is the most Altman of Altman's films. The peak of his melancholy and ironic, multi-cast, loose, overlapping dialogue and interweaving storyline films (the other obviously being Nashville).

So if you like Altman it is cinematic crack, if you don't you'll not like it.

Comment

• It has Fred Ward in it, therefore SHORT CUTS is great.

Also, I may have rewatched REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS last night.

Comment

• Watched Stone's The Doors, like most of Stone's films very watchable with a headlong energy. Ridiculous in spots but in a way that feels like it fits his subject matter. And the concert scenes are the best ever filmed for a fiction film I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randy G View Post
                                So if you like Altman it is cinematic crack, if you don't you'll not like it.
                                Perfect. And thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X