No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Gary,be safe,shit all yall be safe.

Watched a documentary on Rock N Roll High School Forever 2 days ago. Not bad for a fan made thing.

Comment

• The Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Fast and Furious and Fast Five. We skipped Tokyo Drift because my daughter and I watched it on TV a few weeks back.

Oddly, while still quite stupid, 4 and 5 are much better than the first two, and I'd almost rank 4 as a good movie. Almost.

Comment

• Get well soon Gary!

Watched THE KILLER THAT STALKED NEW YORK on TCM's Noir Alley this morning. Typically awesome Eddie Muller intro and outro. Striking film to watch in these circumstances - it's about a smallpox outbreak. The always hot Dorothy Malone, just before she hit stardom, has a small part as a nurse.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Conan The Barbarian - It's still a really fun movie, holds up pretty well.

Get well soon Gary!
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• thanks, everyone!
            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Watched Furious 6 and Furious 7 last night. The series went from entertaining, if a bit dumb, heist movies to James Bond with a traumatic brain injury really fast!

Also, what the fuck is with the titles in the series? Is Universal putting serious effort into making it as inconsistent and stupid as possible?

Comment

• Combat Shock (USA, 1984) [VoD] - 2/5
                Troma Entertainment presents: the most depressing fucking movie you'll ever see. A Vietnam vet haunted by combat traumas wanders around a town while his wife and baby starve in the shittiest apartment on earth. No money, no job, nothing to eat, and everybody are abusing them. An odd, depressing score keeps playing non-stop. Utterly unforgettable, undeniably effective, and almost unwatchable piece of genuine nihilism that will make the viewer feel like absolute shit.

Class of Nuke 'Em High (USA, 1986) [VoD] - 3/5
                A surprisingly cute love story set in a toxic comic book town. There's also boobs, splatter, a toxic monster, radioactive marihuana, a post-apocalyptic gang, and a nice rock soundtrack… a seminal 80s high school film. And it really does the locale (Tromaville) better than you'd expect.

Troma's War (USA, 1988) [VoD] - 3/5
                You haven't seen war until you've seen it through the eyes of Troma. Uneven, partly exhilarating action / satire / trash epic with plane crash survivors having to fight for their lives against an army of terrorists on an island. Shitloads of action ensues, with the body count reaching 600 (according to IMDb), most of it creditable to a holiday Rambo in Hawaii shirt and shorts. Blood, boobs, grenades, millions of bullets and a great soundtrack, as well as some idiotic Troma humour. The film is at its most outrageously fun when it plays it seemingly straight.

The Toxic Avenger: Part II (USA, 1989) [VoD] - 2.5/5
                Toxie goes to Japan, finds more evil to crush. Uneven sequel moves at snail pace at first, with all the usual Troma sins (childish acting, unfunny jokes etc.) in the opening third, then it relocates to Japan and actually becomes rather clever. There are loads of cultural jokes (had a chuckle with 悪魔の毒々モンスター written on Toxie's business card), people killed in uniquely Japanese ways, gruesome gore, a pretty cool cast (Rikiya Yasuoka as Toxie's dad, Angel Guts: Red Vertigo's Mayako Katsuragi as cute girlfriend side-kick, plus cameos like Go Nagai), and even the Japanese language spoken to a decent extent when not resorting to lame-ass dubbing work. Somehow Troma seems to have done their Japan homework better than most Hollywood films with Japan content. Unfortunately the film goes back to Tromaville for the anti-climatic last reel.

Comment

• Popped out my Mr. Show DVDs to give myself something to watch in the morning. Forgot how much I like this show.

Comment

• LET HIM GO (2020 Kevin Costner, Diane Lane)

I wanted to see this since the trailer came last year but because of the pandemic it took me a while. I finally watched it this weekend and I'm sad to say it was not worth the wait.

SPOILERS AHOY!

The premise is ok, it's sometime in the 1950s and a retired couple (Costner and Lane) lives with their son and his wife and young son. One day the son falls off his horse and dies. His wife remarries into an awful abusive family and moves away with her young son without giving her in-laws any notice.

And this is where it falls apart. Not because of the plot but because Diane Lane's character isn't living in the real world and thinks her and Kevin can just drive up to their daughter-in-law's new family and steal the kid because they don't like the new family. And they have good reason too. The new husband is abusive towards the wife and the kid. The wife made a poor choice but it's unfortunately a choice she and her son would have to live with.

Instead they visit the house with pretty clear intentions, and get called out and hounded by the psychotic family, led by a psychotic grandma. Costner brings a gun but doesn't pull the trigger fast enough so they crazy family holds him down and chops off his fingers with a hatchet. The local cop sides with the family and tells them to leave town. Diane Lane refuses to give up! So Kevin goes back to the house shoots a bunch of people, gets the kid back and burns the house down but not before getting shot twice in the chest and dies.

Diane Lane is gorgeous but boy is she going against the grain of reality in this movie, and is a bit nails on chalkboard for the duration. Costner continually tells her to give it up but she refuses and gets him mutilated then murdered. All for a daughter-in-law who is a complete dumbass and poor judgement of character. I hate watching stories that do this. Some assholes aren't worth saving. I felt bad watching Kevin in this. This seems like a huge misstep in his filmography. He doesn't need the money, why would he do this? Did he read the script? Do they even write scripts anymore?
                    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      LET HIM GO (2020 Kevin Costner, Diane Lane)

I wanted to see this since the trailer came last year but because of the pandemic it took me a while. I finally watched it this weekend and I'm sad to say it was not worth the wait.

SPOILERS AHOY!

The premise is ok, it's sometime in the 1950s and a retired couple (Costner and Lane) lives with their son and his wife and young son. One day the son falls off his horse and dies. His wife remarries into an awful abusive family and moves away with her young son without giving her in-laws any notice.

And this is where it falls apart. Not because of the plot but because Diane Lane's character isn't living in the real world and thinks her and Kevin can just drive up to their daughter-in-law's new family and steal the kid because they don't like the new family. And they have good reason too. The new husband is abusive towards the wife and the kid. The wife made a poor choice but it's unfortunately a choice she and her son would have to live with.

Instead they visit the house with pretty clear intentions, and get called out and hounded by the psychotic family, led by a psychotic grandma. Costner brings a gun but doesn't pull the trigger fast enough so they crazy family holds him down and chops off his fingers with a hatchet. The local cop sides with the family and tells them to leave town. Diane Lane refuses to give up! So Kevin goes back to the house shoots a bunch of people, gets the kid back and burns the house down but not before getting shot twice in the chest and dies.

Diane Lane is gorgeous but boy is she going against the grain of reality in this movie, and is a bit nails on chalkboard for the duration. Costner continually tells her to give it up but she refuses and gets him mutilated then murdered. All for a daughter-in-law who is a complete dumbass and poor judgement of character. I hate watching stories that do this. Some assholes aren't worth saving. I felt bad watching Kevin in this. This seems like a huge misstep in his filmography. He doesn't need the money, why would he do this? Did he read the script? Do they even write scripts anymore?
                      A career misstep from the man who made and starred in The Postman? NEVER!!!!!

/S

Comment

• Malcolm & Marie AKA the most pretentious film ever made.
                        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                          A career misstep from the man who made and starred in The Postman? NEVER!!!!!

/S
                          To be fair he made that film between DANCES WITH WOLVES and OPEN RANGE. Not too many people have made films as good as those two. let alone starred and directed them. I've never seen POSTMAN but what I have seen of it is a lot more ambitious than LET HIM GO. LET HIM GO felt cheap and uninspired. POSTMAN may have it's faults but it certainly wasn't cheap or uninspired.

I never thought much of Costner but the stuff I like him in I like a lot (DANCES WITH WOLVES, UNTOUCHABLES, OPEN RANGE, YELLOWSTONE). I have no interest in his sports films but by all accounts they are well made well liked films. He won an Emmy for THE HATFIELD AND THE MCCOYS but I thought that was a chore to get through and I didn't think his role was particularly great.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                            Malcolm & Marie AKA the most pretentious film ever made.
                            It looks terrible. I'm surprised you checked it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              It looks terrible. I'm surprised you checked it out.
                              Sometimes I like to shock myself alittle. I really need to stop.
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• I appreciate your effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X