Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
    The Warriors

Found that first dvd release with the theatrical cut.

Now I know I saw this back in the late 80s. But remember nothing about it. Always hear the director's cut is crap. So when I found the old dvd for 25 cents I grabbed it. Not bad so far. And wow I forgot how many rap albums sampled stuff from this film.
    To be honest, a lot of the complaints about the director's cut are really overblown.

Comment

• The Mandalorian
      Disney is evil but this Lone Wolf And Space Cub thing is pretty dang entertaining. Baby Yoda's cute as fuck. I'm definitely in for the rest of it. Hope Billy red nuts shows up soon.

Hangover Square
      Holy fucking shit, this movie is great! Laird Cregar was a boss (when you act circles around the rest of the cast, and even upstage the great George Sanders without breaking a sweat, you've got chops). The finale is goosebumpingly amazing. Fantastic stuff.

Relentless 1-4
      Got mah Leo Rossi-thon (tragically underrated guy) on yesterday and today. Binged all these in a row. Very solid middle of the road serial killer thrillers with some very solid actors. I enjoyed parts one (Judd Nelson is hella creepy as the killer), three (William Forsythe steals the show as usual) and four the most but all were very decent. I would like to see what was cut from part three prior to release (originally it got slapped with an NC-17) though.
      Nabonga
      Last edited by Nabonga; 12-03-2019, 06:48 PM.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Maximum Overdrive: this came up in another thread and I'd somehow never heard of it. I like to imagine the shit eating grin on Kings face as he wrote this and wondered if he could actually get away with it. It's got to be in the top 10 stupidest movies ever made. 'You sure do make love like a hero.' Come on King! You can't write that... And how come all those guns they find don't try to kill them? The gun that's mounted on the truck can fire itself. Why not the ones in the basement? I love the
        post script at the end about the UFO being destroyed by a Russian satellite. It's kind of like that bit in Simpson's where they rescue the kids from the island via voiceover: 'And they were all rescued by, oh I don't know, let's say Moe.'

All up a damned good time though mostly for Estevez and the ACDC.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Bad Education (2004) - As good as Almodí³var is as a director, he puts most screenwriters to shame. The way he constructed this story, plays with time and uses film-within-a-film is, yeah it's an overused term but fuck it, pretty damn brilliant. And he does it with his trademark melodramatic flair while dealing with some pretty heavy stuff, using Catholic sex abuse as a backdrop. Dig the Psycho-esque opening credits, too.
          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• Emanuelle In America
            This really is an awful film. All black Emanuelle films are to be honest. If I had to choose a best one it would be Emanuelle And The Last Cannibals (it's the one I rewatch the most), closely followed by this one. Remove the notoriety from EIA though and it would be unwatchable. Mondo Macabro's disc is aight. The extras are worthwile and the film looks decent.

The Rocker
            I'm a sucker for everything Emma Stone. Well, except for Cruella (looks like it'll be seven shades of shit), Battle Of The Sexes (overlong preachy garbage) or The Favourite. F-U-C-K all of that movie! If someone gave it to me for free, I'd break it in half and set it on fire. The Rocker is an early outing however and it's... flawed. I'm trying to pinpoint when she had her obvious nose job (Yes, I have NO life) and she must've had it sometime after Superbad. I don't like Rainn Wilson (especially not after the constant pedo tweets) and we do get a lot of him here so that's a drawback. The plot is nothing special. Failed clueless rocker joins a teenage band and they go viral, giving him a chance to live some of that rockstar life he missed out on. Along the way he hooks up with Christina Applegate (yeah right!) who has very hairy shoulders I noticed from the HD resolution of the disc. The supporting cast is game and Jason Sudeikis steals the show somewhat as a douchy manager. Overall it's a fine timewaster but much too long. Emma is hella cute though.

Patient Zero
            Second viewing of this tight snappy little zombie movie. I still enjoyed it. I could watch Natalie Dormer read the phone book. The same goes for Stanley Tucci who's slumming here. A band of survivors try to find a cure for the zombie disease. They're looking for "patient zero" to analyze and run tests on. Therefore they interrogate every possible match they come across. Matt Smith, who is a really bland actor, is halfway transformed so he's the only one who speak zombie or what you want to call it. Surprise, surprise he himself turns out to be patient zero. Yikes! Whatta twist. Not. To be honest, this is pretty bad and illogical but it's entertaining and only 87 minutes long. I'll be revisiting this again in the future.

His Dark Materials
            My boss at the time took me to see The Golden Compass when it premiered. I remember precisely one thing from that film and that is when that panzer bear broke another bears jaws (the entire theatre gasped in unison). The rest I've completely forgotten about. I have no knowledge of any of the books but I saw Ruth Wilson was gonna be in it and since she's the best actress on the planet right now I had to see it. The girl playing Lyra is pretty decent and despite a bland supporting cast besides Ruth this is fairly engaging and well done so far. I'll keep watching.
            Nabonga
            Last edited by Nabonga; 12-04-2019, 07:53 PM.
            https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA - I've watched this at least 30 times and it's simply one of the most entertaining movies of all time. It's astonishing that this bombed during it's theatrical run; it should've been as big as RAIDERS and put Carpenter on the A-list. Was anyone here lucky enough to see this at the theatre?
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA - I've watched this at least 30 times and it's simply one of the most entertaining movies of all time. It's astonishing that this bombed during it's theatrical run; it should've been as big as RAIDERS and put Carpenter on the A-list. Was anyone here lucky enough to see this at the theatre?
                For my 12th birthday, my dad took me and my brothers to the drive-in to see this and Cronenberg's remake of The Fly, on a school night, no less!

I was a massive John Carpenter fan even that far back and sought out everything of his that I could. A couple of christmases ago, I got Pop! figures of the Thre Storms for my daughter, since Big Trouble is one of her favourites too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                  BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA - I've watched this at least 30 times and it's simply one of the most entertaining movies of all time. It's astonishing that this bombed during it's theatrical run; it should've been as big as RAIDERS and put Carpenter on the A-list. Was anyone here lucky enough to see this at the theatre?
                  My babysitter took us to see BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA numerous times. Its one the few films I have a vivid memory of seeing in the theater (despite having seen many dozens as a kid). It was a theater in the mall. I can still see the carpet and smell the popcorn. I can even remember the KBToy we'd visit afterward. If my memory is correct I bought a GIJoe Snow Cat during one of those trips. I loved the film. I saw it again in 2010 I didn't care for it at all. Russel's character is a bit of douche and the whole thing is just too silly for my tastes. Really love the "Three Storms" warriors and Lo Pan though.

I'm jealous of those of you that seem to remember every trip you've ever taken to a theater. I'm certain I've been to the theater hundreds of times, but can only vividly recall BTILC, Mannequin (1987), Johnny Mnemonic (1995) and Goldeneye.

Comment

• Hellboy (2019) Gave it a try when it turned up on streaming here. Is this supposed to be a parody or something? What a pile of shit.
                    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                      Hangover Square
                      Holy fucking shit, this movie is great! Laird Cregar was a boss (when you act circles around the rest of the cast, and even upstage the great George Sanders without breaking a sweat, you've got chops). The finale is goosebumpingly amazing. Fantastic stuff.

Relentless 1-4
                      Got mah Leo Rossi-thon (tragically underrated guy) on yesterday and today. Binged all these in a row. Very solid middle of the road serial killer thrillers with some very solid actors. I enjoyed parts one (Judd Nelson is hella creepy as the killer), three (William Forsythe steals the show as usual) and four the most but all were very decent. I would like to see what was cut from part three prior to release (originally it got slapped with an NC-17) though.
                      HANGOVER SQUARE is fantastic. The festival scene with the bonfire is one of the finest scenes ever put on celluloid. The LODGER is very good too and worth checking out.

I love all 4 of the RELENTLESS films. The first one is my favorite and I really like part 2 with Ray Sharkey, he's so sleazy and scummy in it. Leo Rossi carries the series well. I agree he's terribly underrated, (he's pretty damn amazing in MANIAC COP 2, god he cracks me up in that movie). It's amusing watching his family life slowly dissolve over the course of the four parts of this series, and Rossi getting more jaded over time. Fun films.
                      Scott
                      Intellectual Carrot
                      Last edited by Scott; 12-06-2019, 01:38 AM.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• A Simple Plan. I saw this at the cinemas when it was new and didn't think a huge amount of it. Times been good to it though. Now you don't have to compare it to Fargo, which was an inevitable comparison at the time, and that's got to be good for any film.

As a 'sack full of money' film it's pretty good. Still very Coen-esque in the idea of it being a series of stupid decisions compounding on themselves but the complications of the relationships between the three men elevates it above just being a rip off. A classic of the very minor variety in my book.
                        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Black Christmas (Canada, 1974) [VoD] - 4/5
                          Excellent, gritty Christmas slasher with a bunch of non-objectified, charmingly foul-mouthed women as protagonists. Rather exceptional in the genre.

Terror Train (USA, 1980) [VoD] - 1.5/5
                          Regrettably dull graduation party / revenge slasher with Jamie Lee Curtis, only in a train this time. David Copperfield plays a magician! Sort of works for the 1st hour, then you realize you really don't give a shit. Pedestrian on the technical level as well.

Sleepless (Italy, 2001) [DVD] - 1/5
                          Argento returned to giallo... with this piece of shit. Ugly, completely nonsensical and with atrocious English voice acting. Goblin did the music but you'd never guess it. Max Von Sydow is the only good thing about the film. You feel sorry for him being in this.

Summer of 84 (Canada, 2018) [VoD] - 4/5
                          Four 15 year olds begin suspecting their neighbor is a serial killer. Thrilling 80s / childhood throwback thriller with a phenomenally good ending. 10 times better than the same filmmakers' Turbo Kid.

Comment

• Thanks for recommending Summer of 84. I just checked it out via the dirt cheap German Blu Ray and thought that it was pretty decent and, yes, that ending is great.
                            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Had a little Christmas get together with some friends last night, little kids were around so we watched Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. One kid was into it, the other kind of scared by it, their parents mostly confused. It's a pretty fun movie though.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                                Thanks for recommending Summer of 84. I just checked it out via the dirt cheap German Blu Ray and thought that it was pretty decent and, yes, that ending is great.
                                Glad you enjoyed it. Looking at the reviews, the reception seems to have been a bit lukewarm. I was afraid I was alone in loving the film (certainly helped that I went in with no expectations, I didn't even know who had made it).

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Had a little Christmas get together with some friends last night, little kids were around so we watched Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. One kid was into it, the other kind of scared by it, their parents mostly confused. It's a pretty fun movie though.

Comment

Working...
                                X