No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In complete agreement with Autofocus. Half of it is great. The other half is oddly mediocre.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
      Autofocus. I'll never be able to see Hogans Heroes quite the same way again... This one surprised me because half of its a really good movie. The first half is a really nicely shot biopic about a shady sex addict with lots of (to me) interesting sidebars about early video tech. It totally gets lost along the way though. At some point they start shooting it like a horror movie and Badlamenti's score is swirling around creepily and uninterruptedly for about 20 minutes. Very strange stuff. Totally fails to work.

Oddly I didn't know Crane was murdered till watching this so that last scene caught me off guard.
      AUTOFOCUS is interesting. I'm a big fan of Schrader but will admit that this film, like many of his films post-AFFLICTION, becomes utterly confused/unfocused (ha!) in its second half.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• Dolemite is My Name. Good but not that funny. I still liked it but Ed Wood has the same effect on me. I like it but if I'm being perfectly honest it made me laugh a handful of times.

Comment

• Acceleration
          Another one of these "Dolph gotta eat" DTV con jobs. Sit down for some swedish goodness, get bargain bin Kate Beckinsale Natalie Burn driving around doing sub par lame actiony stuff instead. Fake muzzle flashes aplenty and cheap stunt castings to rope you in (Danny Trejo, Chuck Liddell, failed reboot Mr T) capped off with an unsurprising "twist". At least Sean Patrick Flanery is giving it his all. He was the most entertaining in this cack. Dolph sits in a room nodding, talks to a kid, sits some more in a room nodding, talks to a kid, sits on a kitchen counter, etc, etc. Then stumbles around awkwardly towards the end in something barely resembling an action scene. Poor, poor stuff. Chuck Liddell needs to ditch that stupid haircut btw. How old is he now? He looks like a muppet.
          https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Machete Maidens Unleashed: fun. Great docu.

Night of the Scarecrow: I unironically love this film and it is neck and neck with Scarecrows (88 or 89) as far as the best scarecrow flick goes. I like Jeff Burr.

Comment

• Stan & Ollie (2018) A well done film. Sentimental. Steve Coogan is very good as Stan Laurel. John C. Reilly is remarkable as Oliver Hardy.

Comment

• Texas CHainsaw-Figured I should give this a rewatch. Haven't seen it since it hit home video. Hulu has it and so far it isn't horrible.

Comment

• SHOCKER - I loved this when I was a kid and probably watched it 10 times. I hadn't seen it in years and, holy shit, is it ever a turkey. It was obviously intended as a comic horror film, but it's mostly just embarrassing. It's no wonder that Peter Berg moved on to directing, because his performance here is awful (although, to be fair, he was effective in THE LAST SEDUCTION - playing a really dumb guy). This is just an incredible mess, but I have to admit that it's never boring (like other Craven stinkbombs DEADLY BLESSING and HILLS HAVE EYES II).
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Ford vs. Ferrari AKA Le Mans ´66

Movie of 2019 for me thus far. Just all around excellent.
                    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Just finished 10 to Midnight. High Anxietyvis starting right now & last night was Battle for the Lost Planet and Mutant Wars. Also watched some of Brazil but fell asleep during some of it.

Comment

• Desperate Measures
                        It's easy to forget how outrageously charismatic and magnetic Michael Keaton really is. He really shines here as a psycho killer who agrees to give a cops son bone marrow but then escapes at the hospital. And the chase is on. Andy garcia can often be a little hammy but he's alright here. The film doesn't really make sense. Ok, you can't kill him but why don't you just kneecap the sunovabitch and drag his ass back to the hospital? Despite that this is exciting stuff.

Primal
                        Prime Nic Cage cheese. I loved the hell out of this. Bad CGI animals are let loose on a cargo ship. Oh, and the NSA or some such agency is transporting a deranged super assassin black ops guy who also gets loose. Fun stuff. Famke Janssen seems to have dialled back the plastic surgery somewhat. In that shitty Travolta movie she looked hella creepy and weird. She still looks weird. Just not outrageously so. I'm buying this when it hits the bargain bin. Nicolas Cage is awesome.

Comment

• The Warriors

Found that first dvd release with the theatrical cut.

Now I know I saw this back in the late 80s. But remember nothing about it. Always hear the director's cut is crap. So when I found the old dvd for 25 cents I grabbed it. Not bad so far. And wow I forgot how many rap albums sampled stuff from this film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                            Desperate Measures
                            It's easy to forget how outrageously charismatic and magnetic Michael Keaton really is. He really shines here as a psycho killer who agrees to give a cops son bone marrow but then escapes at the hospital. And the chase is on. Andy garcia can often be a little hammy but he's alright here. The film doesn't really make sense. Ok, you can't kill him but why don't you just kneecap the sunovabitch and drag his ass back to the hospital? Despite that this is exciting stuff.

Underrated flick. A shame it bombed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                              SHOCKER - I loved this when I was a kid and probably watched it 10 times. I hadn't seen it in years and, holy shit, is it ever a turkey. It was obviously intended as a comic horror film, but it's mostly just embarrassing. It's no wonder that Peter Berg moved on to directing, because his performance here is awful (although, to be fair, he was effective in THE LAST SEDUCTION - playing a really dumb guy). This is just an incredible mess, but I have to admit that it's never boring (like other Craven stinkbombs DEADLY BLESSING and HILLS HAVE EYES II).

Comment

• The Leftovers
                                Fucked up a rib from coughing while sick so I've been laid out for a while. Binged this show. Interesting and frustrating in equal measure. I both dig it and dislike it. The silent cult was the most annoying and uninteresting part of the show. Also, Justin Theroux surprised the heck out of me with some excellent acting. Give that guy more work.

Once Upon A Time In... Hollywood
                                Tarantino is an overrated, deeply annoying, twat. I told myself I was done with him but yesterday I was bored so I gave in and watched this. I gotta say, this is probably the best thing he's ever done. Loved the plotlessness of it and how we just got to hang with these peeps. The Bruce Lee "disgrace" wasn't so bad imo. Guy really did seem like a blowhard (though I love the guy deeply). The period details were spot on, the references not too annoyingly try hard as they have been in the past with him and I loved how he didn't go there with the Tate stuff. Nice bit of alternate history imo. I enjoyed the hell out of Brad Pitt (who was excellent) ***SPOILER!!!*** ***SPOILER***murdering the absolute fuck out of those hippies. Still don't get the Margot Robbie hoopla, though. She's like a less talented Jaime Pressly. But anyway. Only complaint I have is they didn't spend more time on the Italy stint DiCaprio's character did. I could watch an hour entirely dedicated to that. Great stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X