No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Meiko Kaji film was pretty magnificent, I must admit.

Comment

• The rest of the series is fantastic as well.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I shall watch the rest...shortly. Maybe tomorrow. How was the review? Not a seafood fan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
          It was kind of a thud. You can see screencaps of the scene here.
          Well, I don't think there's a ringtone in that. Maybe a screensaver or wallpaper for Pauly though... :think:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike T View Post
            I shall watch the rest...shortly. Maybe tomorrow. How was the review? Not a seafood fan?
            Succinct and to the point. :)
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 -- not nearly as good as the first one (it's a hundred times better than Sasori though), but still good. They really put Meiko through some genuine punishment, as an actress, making these films didn't they? But Matsu may just be the toughest female character I've ever seen. This one needed more of the wild camera-work, psychedelic art direction and bold setpieces that made the first one so awesome. I did love the "They're all dead" line at the end... ;)

Comment

• Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable -- now this was a fine return to form after the slightly-less-exciting second film. I just love the way the director uses static shots, skew camera angles and colour in these films. The incest angle made me fee a bit uncomfortable, though. But, again, Meiko and her character ruled and that pre-credits sequence really grabs you! Colour me very impressed with this series, and thank you all for recommending them. I'll pick up the fourth film when I have some spare cash. ;)

Comment

• The two follow ups done without Kaji are good too, if not quite on the same level.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Oh I also started watching Jackson County Jail last night but fell asleep, not becuase it was boring but because I popped some melatonin. Anyway, Tommy Lee Jones was pretty rad in the 70s. I'm not sure about him these days, but back then he was a bit of a genuine bad ass.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• He was super cool back then.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Rica -- another cool Japanese exploitation epic! I was concerned to begin with that it was just going to be one endless scene of rape after another, being that there were three rape scenes in the first fifteen minutes...but it settled down and grew up a bit after that. Certainly has its fair share of gore, too. And Rika Aoki made for another cool, tough-as-nails Japanese heroine, though a very different one from Meiko Kaji (obviously). Generally good fun, but started out a bit icky and nasty for me.

Comment

• Yeah, rape is pretty common in those movies.
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• I just finished Caged Heat and am about to watch Jackson County Jail. I have mixed feelings about Caged Heat. Maybe the commentary will help me appreciate it more.

Comment

• It probably will. Demme has a lot to say about it and it pointed out a lot of things I didn't pick up on.
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                                Yeah, rape is pretty common in those movies.
                                The Rica trilogy, or Violent Pink in general?

Apart from the sequence where Rica's stepfather belted her around the head until she was unconscious before he raped her, things pretty much fell in line with a lot of that early seventies stuff (more heavy suggestion than explicit depiction). The glorification of rape, esp. in an exploitative fashion like these movies do so well (where just as much attention is paid to leering camera shots of body parts and the victim's suffering, or sometimes enjoyment of the crime), always sets me at a level of unease.

But as I said, the reduced depiction and general cartoonish execution of the violence in these films, so far, diffuses some element of the offense factor...so I'll live. ;)

Btw, how could you do a Scorpion film without Kaji and those wild eyes of hers?

Comment

Working...
                                X