X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket Case 3: The Progeny (1991)

**1/2 out of *****

Cinematic Shocks
    Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 08-02-2016, 10:32 AM.
    In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Comment

• SHEBA BABY has left me a bit confused. I enjoyed it more than I should have. It's plays like COFFY or FOXY BROWN without the hard edge and gratuitous exploitation elements. Even worse is that everyone outside of D'Urville Martin delivers the most wooden dialogue you'll see. Much of the music feels out of place as well. Despite what should be fatal flaws SHEBA BABY has its moments. Although it's rated PG, Pam Grier exudes sex and she's a competent badass. Some of the action set-pieces are thrilling. One scene I rewound a few times had a car leaping out of nowhere and almost taking her out. The many outfits she adorns add to the thrills. Some the comedy works well too. The stylish loan shark, "Big Number One" Walker, is a riot. SHEBA BABY is missing a lot of what I love about blaxploitation but it does get just enough right to be worth watching. It's a testament to the power of Pam Grier's onscreen presence.

Comment

• Sledgehammer (1983). At least the late Ted Prior got better as a filmmaker after this SOV flick. Not that that's saying very much considering the quality of his later work. This flick was hard to sit through. The opening scene is fine but this flick has an insane amount of padding with a whole lot of nothing going on. Plus endlessly long shots that make you yell "Cut!" at the screen because any sensible person would think: "This shot is going on way too long, cut it here and get to the point already." And aside from the opening scene it takes a good long while before we get to a body count.

This flick made me appreciate Fatal Exposure and Necro Files even more. Those flicks and the Dividing Hour are easily the best SOV horror flicks.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• I had more fun with Fred Olen Ray's BIOHAZARD than expected. The sci-fi bits are just cool enough and the monster suit stuff had just the right amount of camp. The cool soundtrack helped quite a bit as well. Aldo Ray's pissed off General is a treat. But more than anything I got a hardon for Angelique Pettyjohn. She's really fun in the film and man does she have a nice rack. The finale is a blast and the final line is so bad I laughed out loud. It seems like they got punchy on the last day of shooting. The Blu-ray was worth a premium price. It's got a nice looking transfer. Probably silly to mention but I love the BD menu.

I followed up BIOHAZARD with the Star Trek episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion" starring Angelique Pettyjohn. It's a terrific episode that has everything I enjoy about the series. Shatner is at his shirtless best, macing on Pettyjohn in her revealing tinfoil bikini. He even decks her. Shatner does a "KHAN!!!!" like scream into the sky. Bones gives Spock no end of shit and Spock gives it right back. Uhura gets raped (WTF?). Bad guys get impaled and the main villain looks like Sid Haig. Pettyjohn has green hair..and a massive rack. The whole episode is a hoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
            I followed up BIOHAZARD with the Star Trek episode "The Gamesters of Triskelion" starring Angelique Pettyjohn. It's a terrific episode that has everything I enjoy about the series. Shatner is at his shirtless best, macing on Pettyjohn in her revealing tinfoil bikini. He even decks her. Shatner does a "KHAN!!!!" like scream into the sky. Bones gives Spock no end of shit and Spock gives it right back. Uhura gets raped (WTF?). Bad guys get impaled and the main villain looks like Sid Haig. Pettyjohn has green hair..and a massive rack. The whole episode is a hoot.
            is this the episode where shatner sucker punches that alien broad straight into heaven?!

BAM! knocked her out without any drugs ... bill cosby would be proud. :emily:

Comment

• Luna caliente (Vicente Aranda, 2009) - The final film from the salacious Spaniard and whether or not it was intended to be it wound up being a fitting send off with its fusing of the Barcelona School of Film philosophy (the disruption of everyday life by the unexpected) where Aranda began his career, the fierce, transgressive sexuality that defined several of his films that's bound to trigger hypersensitive snowflakes into their safe spaces and radical anti-authoritarian politics. Very Hitchcock with its story of a man getting in over his head in an intense situation, although it differs from Hitchcock's wrong man scenarios in that the main character is in fact guilty as hell (not a spoiler, its the driving force of the film) which makes for some very interesting questions Aranda forces the audience to ask themselves throughout the film. It also contains one of the finest femme-fatal characters in recent times played by the incredible Thaí¯s Blume. Being the last film from a master, this is pretty essential.
              LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

• 13 Hours: the Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. Seemed a bit timely to watch this. Dare I say it, but this is the first Michael Bay film I liked. The usual Bay-isms actually worked in the movie's favor and is a pretty well done handling of a horrible tragedy. If nothing else, it's a solid action film centered on a fucked up situation.
                Alex K.
                Last edited by Alex K.; 08-23-2016, 07:07 AM.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Suspected Death of a Minor (Sergio Martino, 1975) - There's giallo, there's poliziotteschi and then there's this lunatic fusion of the two that's also a comedy? Very offbeat film and bi-polar film, one that can switches moods going from serious to frivolous in an instant. The constant tonal shifts can be a bit jarring at times seeing as the central mystery/crime story is built around some pretty shady stuff yet it works, particular because both the crime and comedic elements are handled so well and when it wants to be funny its so over the top loony there's not a lot it can really be compared too. For the first 40 minutes or so various pieces of a mystery are established without much context or rational character motivation but once Martino has things fall into place it becomes quite gripping. Complex, absolutely, but always intriguing and off the wall. Bumping score too, almost Gobin-esque at times.

Comment

• THE ISLAND (Mchael Bay)

I know I know, wtf am I doing watching this..but it was on tv and bothing else was...
                    Simply a crap film with bad shaky cam and a script that ☆ when not lift3d from other, better sci fi films) is full of classic lines like 'run' and 'quick' Ewan McGregor doea a bad American accent and acts badly in two roles..and Sean Bean acts villain-y and grabs a big paycheck I presume...

Steve Buscemis character's dearh sums up this movie pwrfectly...when shot, instead of falliung down clutching his chest he.....gets shot, goes OVER a balcony, falls 10 feet, crashes through a bar cabinet FULL of glass and then rolls on the floor..overkill!
                    sukebanboy
                    Last edited by sukebanboy; 08-23-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Yesterday:

The Split (1968), Beyond Re-Animator (on Chiller TV), Grizzly, & Nekromantik

Today:

...Tick...Tick...Tick... (1970)

Comment

• I had a much deserved day off yesterday and figured what better time to have a long overdue re-viewing of my favorite film of all time on my bitchin new TV. I'm of course referring to Lost Highway. I could write a YUGE essay on just why I consider it to be the apex of the art form and just how much its influence on my has grown over the years (the fact that it turns 20 next year is almost as mind-blowing as the film itself) but I'll refrain. Still one of the most rewarding, engaging and endlessly mystifying viewing experiences one can hope to have. I think it was Leonard Maltin who said he was jealous of anyone watching Psycho for the first time. Well, I'm jealous of anyone who goes into Lost Highway completely blind. Even if they end up hating the film and can't grasp what they're watching is something special. Bless you David Lynch, you beautifully brilliant madman.

Comment

• Well put! I also adore Lost Highway. Lynch's best together with Eraserhead, and probably the best film of the 90's.

Comment

• Watched some Christmas films

Santa Claus The Movie
                            A Christmas Carol (1951)
                            A Christmas Story
                            Its A Wonderful Life
                            Miracle on 34th Street

My faves being the 1st 3. I was surprised that Its A Wonderful Life is not really a Christmas film AT ALL, though it always gets mentioned as one. Theres barely a mention of Christmas until the last 10 minutes. Still a good film though.

Comment

• What I love most about Lost Highway is how it introduced me to Robert Aldrich's Kiss Me Deadly.

Yeah, definitely what I love the most.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                                I had a much deserved day off yesterday and figured what better time to have a long overdue re-viewing of my favorite film of all time on my bitchin new TV. I'm of course referring to Lost Highway. I could write a YUGE essay on just why I consider it to be the apex of the art form and just how much its influence on my has grown over the years (the fact that it turns 20 next year is almost as mind-blowing as the film itself) but I'll refrain. Still one of the most rewarding, engaging and endlessly mystifying viewing experiences one can hope to have. I think it was Leonard Maltin who said he was jealous of anyone watching Psycho for the first time. Well, I'm jealous of anyone who goes into Lost Highway completely blind. Even if they end up hating the film and can't grasp what they're watching is something special. Bless you David Lynch, you beautifully brilliant madman.
                                I watched Lost Highway for the first time a couple days ago. Pretty much blown away. So much so that I've been itching to watch it again. About thirty minutes in I thought to myself "I bet David Lynch could make a terrifying horror film". Not minutes later I about jumped off the couch. I was genuinely freaked out a bit. The more I think about the message of the film the more unsettling the whole thing is.

Killer soundtrack and sound design. I bought some new speakers about 6 months ago but this was one the first films that really made them sing.

Funny that Maltin mentions Psycho as a film he's jealous of people watching for the first time. Psycho is the film I wish I could see for the first time but as someone living back in 1960.
                                Jason C
                                Last edited by Jason C; 12-29-2016, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X