No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancho Deluxe - Slow moving "comedy" and neo-western hybrid. It definitely meditates on character and is misadvertised based on the video cover and poster. I just left this film feeling unamused and bored.

God Told Me To - Amazing! The kind of brilliance I've come to expect from Larry Cohen's flicks.

Capturing the Friedmans - Creepy and fascinating documentary about a family that crumbled apart because the dad and youngest son were convicted of sexual abuse towards children.

Bay of Blood - This is only the second Mario Bava film I've seen and it's a great one. I need to indulge in more of his work.

Comment

• bamboo gods & iron men

not exactly the greatest filipino-flick ever made but I have to admit I somehow enjoyed it! the mute sidekick was a pain in the ass though.. and I was seriously disappointed that the black chick doesn't show her boobs. the ending is kind of retarded and must be seen to be believed!

Comment

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
        THE MAN FROM HONG KONG - Dir. Brian Trenchard-Smith (1975)
        This has been near the top of my wishlist for a long time now. From what I understand, the Fortune Star DVD is the vastly superior release but it is hopelessly OOP.

Comment

• make sure to get all of lazenby flicks from his "moustache martial-arts" period: man from hongkong, stoner and queen's ransom.
          it's a f***ing trilogy, man!

Comment

• WORLD'S GREATEST DAD (Bobcat Goldthwait, 2009). Way better than MRS. DOUBTFIRE. Good work, Robin.

Comment

• And I like MRS. DOUBTFIRE.

Comment

• Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                make sure to get all of lazenby flicks from his "moustache martial-arts" period: man from hongkong, stoner and queen's ransom.
                it's a f***ing trilogy, man!
                STONER is amazing.

"moustache martial-arts" = that is hilarious. That needs to be the banner on a blu-ray boxset of the Lazenby trilogy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                  WORLD'S GREATEST DAD (Bobcat Goldthwait, 2009). Way better than MRS. DOUBTFIRE. Good work, Robin.
                  Check out God Bless America too.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• DANGEROUS ENCOUNTERS OF THE FIRST KIND aka DON'T PLAY WITH FIRE - Dir. Tsui Hark (1980)

Still to this day...all things considered, this is probably my favorite Tsui Hark movie.

Comment

• LEGEND OF A FIGHTER - Dir. Yuen Woo Ping (1982)

Love the early Yuen Woo Ping flicks & this one is no exception. Just a fucking travesty that DRUNKEN MASTER, SNAKE IN EAGLE'S SHADOW, DREADNAUGHT, etc aren't available on blu ray in English friendly editions. anyway, a brilliant film portraying legendary Chinese martial artist, Fok Yun Gap. A nice companion piece to Ronny Yu's FEARLESS, which Yuen Woo Ping contributed as fight choreographer nearly a quarter century later, as one chronicles his early life while the other his later exploits until his untimely death.

Comment

• PUNISHED - Dir. Law Wing Cheong (2011)

Very pleasantly surprised by this Milky Way + Johnnie To production. I was expecting a HK version of TAKEN with To's usual stylized noirish elements but this parental revenge flick places more emphasis on the back story, character development & is essentially a morality tale as opposed to full blown action movie. It works rather well as Anthony Wong puts on a tour de force perf as the vengeance seeking guilt ridden grieving father. Richie Ren is also exceptional as the proxy by which Anthony Wong plots & exacts his revenge. Also nice to see Charlie Cho in a role where he's not playing a pervert or an overly annoying buffoon. Enjoyed this one much more than To's VENGEANCE and in some ways, it is superior to Morel's TAKEN as well.

Comment

• WOw...will have to give this one a watch...Anthony Wong is a personal fave of mine....all the way back from BUNMAN UNTOLD STORY....

Comment

• Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                            WOw...will have to give this one a watch...Anthony Wong is a personal fave of mine....all the way back from BUNMAN UNTOLD STORY....
                            Same here. He's a very versatile & gifted actor. I first took notice of him in HARDBOILED & then of course, the notorious CAT III flicks like the aforementioned UNTOLD STORY & EBOLA SYNDROME.

I watched two today...WAY OF THE DRAGON from the Bruce Lee: The Legacy Collection. I haven't seen this one in years and while it is the least favorite film of mine in terms of plot in comparison to BIG BOSS & FIST OF FURY, the finale with Chuck at the Coliseum makes up for the rather lackluster storyline. :bruce:

Also, Malisa Longo's titty shot was nice too.

The other one was THE BLADE SPARES NONE - Teddy Yip (1971)

Watched this one mainly for Nora Miao. :up:

Comment

• Caught a couple of bootleg SB's spy flicks featuring Japanese directors in Inoue Umetsugu & Mitsuo Murayama -- THE BRAIN STEALERS & DARK RENDEZVOUS. THE BRAIN STEALERS is the slightly more entertaining of the two IMO & stars Lily Ho in a familiar role as her previous spy flicks like Angel with Iron Fists. Ling Yun has an Akira Kobayashi type vibe in DARK RENDEZVOUS & it has some cool visuals but I didn't find this spy thriller to be as good as their Japanese counterparts of the same era. Speaking of Umetsugu, I have a copy of his WIP flick, LONG ROAD TO FREEDOM in "my to watch" pile and will get around to it pretty soon. Can't go wrong with Essie Lin Chia and Pai Lu right? :up:

Comment

• Cube. Put off watching this for so long. Damn good little film. Going to watch the sequels later today.
                                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...
                                X