What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 47lab View Post
    HUMAN PORK CHOP - Dir. Bennie Chan (2001)

A CAT III true crime thriller and while it lacks some of the over the top graphic sex & violence of other CAT III movies, it more than makes up for it with its degrading portrayal of human cruelty and just a pervasive mean spirited brutality towards the victim which just bludgeons the viewer into submission. One of the highlights or should I say "lowlights" is a nausea inducing scene reminiscent of Salo but without all the arty pretensions of Pasolini -- what makes this film all the more disturbing is that it is based on a real life crime dubbed the Hello Kitty murder that rocked Hong Kong in the late '90s.
    Did you manage to see the OTHER movie based on the same case that was released at the same time?....It was called THERE IS A SECRET IN MY SOUP....I prefer Human Pork Chop though...

Comment

• Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
      Did you manage to see the OTHER movie based on the same case that was released at the same time?....It was called THERE IS A SECRET IN MY SOUP....I prefer Human Pork Chop though...
      yeah, I did see that one as well. While both were obviously straight exploitation material trying to capitalize on that horrific & sensational murder case -- THERE IS A SECRET IN MY SOUP was just unwatchable. It was dull for the most part & the soft core sex scenes were ludicrous especially the one involving pouring motor oil all over the victim's body & then vacuuming her nipples & spraying compressed air into her genitals?! I believe it's from the same director who made PRETTY WOMAN & I did enjoy that CAT III movie but this one was total crap. :down:

I watched INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN earlier today. Venoms mob + Chang Cheh = winner! Worth it alone just for Lo Mang's training scene with the eggs.

Comment

• LIVE TODAY, DIE TOMORROW - Dir. Kaneto Shindo (1970)

Based on the real life exploits of "serial gun killer" Norio Nagayama & it was reminiscent at times of Imamura's VENGEANCE with the same docudrama approach and extensive use of flashbacks. I've always been interested in films that deal with the so-called "golden eggs," who were middle school graduates who flooded the major cities from rural areas hoping to cash in on the Japanese economic miracle of the 60s -- many to be disillusioned by their lack of upward mobility, alienated from larger society, etc...well, the protagonist of this film faces all those issues but is also burdened by a horrible childhood of neglect, squalid living conditions & abuse. So the fact, that he ultimately lashes out violently is no surprise given his background but the film goes deeper than that into almost an existential level rather than just becoming another anti-hero crime spree thriller. The scenes in Shibuya where he manages to eek out a bohemian existence along with his fellow shady denizens like drug dealers, yakuza, & prostitutes were my favorite parts of the film. Highly recommended!

Comment

• Knock on Wood (Melvin Frank & Norman Panama, 1954). Danny Kaye's a red-headed ventriloquist/psychiatric patient with two dummies, top secret plans & spying commie nogoodniks up the wazoo, and Scotland Yard hot on his Ripper trail. The comedy's slight, then brilliant, then wearying, then brilliant; the musical numbers might be puzzling/annoying to modern audiences, but the big ballet climax is physical comedy hilarity. The DEAD OF NIGHT riff is minimal (the dummies are miniatures of Danny Kaye and aren't even a little bit scary); it takes off more from Hitchcock and SPELLBOUND. It's no COURT JESTER, but as a Charlie McCarthy-era oddity, it's fun. The Olive BD presents a pretty shabby print, so it's not a big AV treat, but I was glad to see it.

Comment

• THE LADY PROFESSIONAL - Dir. Masuo Akinori + Kuei Chi-hung (1971)

Some decent action scenes & a lot of retro cool in this Shaw Brothers hit woman flick. The opening car chase sequence is laughable on so many levels but thankfully, that's pretty much the only miscue for the rest of the film. The main reason to watch is for Lily Ho though -- she's a complete bad ass in this & drop dead gorgeous to boot. She doesn't quite reach Nora Miao levels in my book but she's up there. :up:

Comment

• Recently...

CURSE OF CHUCKY:woot::up:
              FRIGHT NIGHT 2 (2013):down:
              BADGES OF FURY:up:

Comment

• THE LAST DAYS OF THE WORLD - Dir. Eiji Uchida (2011)

A quirky "end of the world black comedy" that only can come from Japan. The thing is, although the film has many darkly humorous moments, it's played entirely straight and very dry much to the film's detriment IMO. This is particularly true during some of the more outrageous & bizarre scenes. For example, there is one scene taken straight from Bertolucci's LAST TANGO IN PARIS but instead of butter, the protagonist uses mayonnaise to anally violate his kidnapped school girl crush -- as dreadful & repugnant as it sounds, it is actually played up for comedic effect and the punchline at the end of the scene reinforces the intent. Just one of many such scenes through out this movie that often confuses and ultimately confounds the viewer.

Last edited by 47lab; 09-25-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• DEADBALL - Dir. Yudai Yamaguchi (2011)

Ok, I'm not a fan of Sushi Typhoon productions & certainly not of Yamaguchi either but I decided to be a glutton for punishment and check out his second baseball meets horror comedy film after BASEBALL BATTLEFIELD. Yes, Tak Sakaguchi is back again, same over the top cheap looking CGI splatter effects and silly gags. By the time it finished, I had a somewhat lukewarm response which is heaps more positive than my reaction after sitting through YAKUZA WEAPON. Seeing Mickey Curtis was a plus as was the 'eye candy' on display, the St. Black Dahlia all girls team composed of various real life pole and cyber dancers.

Comment

• GOING BERSERK (David Steinberg, 1983). RIP, Ernie Hudson.

Comment

• PAIN AND GAIN

Michael Bay leaves the giant fighting robots for a while and goes back to a low budget (ish) movie......and is all the better for it!

I enjoyed this one...slightly troubling that a HORRIBLE true stroy was made into a comedy of errors...but I enjoyed it nonetheless.....Wahlberg is Wahlberg and can do this kind of stuff in his sleep..but it is THE ROCK who rivals him in the comedy stakes in this one...Ed Harris turns up to collect a paycheck.....but overall he adds a touch of class to the proceedings.

Comment

• DISAPPEARANCES (Jay Craven, 2006). Huh. Prohibition Vermont magic realism with Kris Kristofferson, Genevieve Bujold, William Sanderson, Gary Farmer & a whacked-out Lothaire Bluteau as unkillably cursed Wolverine. Quebec Bill Bonhomme summons rain for the thaw but pulls lightning instead, and a bull chokes to death on a potato; and so despite and with the aid of witchy Shakespeare-loving Cordelia's warnings, Bill and his son Bill are back in the family business running stolen-back hijacked whisky in from Canada. Features a Cadillac named White Lightning, canoe, travois, and train robbing; also fiddle-music, gunplay in the woods, lake & mountain scenery, mysticism, monks and alfalfa. Part coming of age, part passing of an age. Pretty terrific.

Jay (no relation) Craven has done four of Howard Frank Mosher's Northern Kingdom Vermont novels now: WHERE THE RIVERS FLOW NORTH, A STRANGER IN THE KINGDOM, NORTHERN BORDERS. I found this for two bucks in a Dollarama, but I'm keeping an eye out now. My dad was born in West Burke, a part of the osmotic Quebec border this movie's about, so I probably dug it out of proportion.

Comment

• Just watched SHACK OUT ON 101, PLUNDER ROAD, THE BIG COMBO and recently watched KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE, CRY VENGEANCE, THE PROWLER, and HIGHWAY DRAGNET. Now I'm going to go back and watch the first three over again. Once you soak your head in noir it never washes off.
                          Richard--W
                          a straight arrow
                          Last edited by Richard--W; 10-07-2013, 06:58 AM.
                          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• PS: all the above-named films should have been shot in 3-D.
                            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

• Saw RUSH in the Cinema last night. Top notch bio-pic and a good racing film even for those of us who are not that into formula one or whatever. Ron Howard, despite being mr. bland certainly can deliver on occasion.
                              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• THE DRAGON MISSILE - Dir. Ho Meng Hua (1976)

Lo Lieh in yet another trademark villain role but the real star of the movie is the weapon itself -- a pair of bladed boomerangs which decapitate their intended targets ala Ho Meng Hua's more famous "flying guillotine" flicks. yeah, the bulk of the fun comes from the cheap looking mechanical effects but somehow it works & is quite entertaining to boot even if the storyline is nothing special with the usual betrayals & double crossing side plots.

Comment

Working...
                                X