What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
    I know I brought it on myself but JESUS WEPT ....SCARY MOVIE 5 was ATROCIOUS.....
    Dear God, David Zucker still has his name attached to these flicks. C'mon Zucker, get back with your brother and Jim to make another worthwhile spoff. Hell, have Landis direct it and dub it Kentucky Fried Movie III. I watched Robert Altman's Popeye recently. It's still weird seeing cartoon characters translated to live-action, but I liked this one for Williams and Duvall's performance, but it's Ray Walston as Poopdeck Pappy that really shines.

Comment

• Just got home from watching this. Well worth not waiting for a home viewing with this one. Badass and loads of fun.

Comment

• Killer Joe - Oh, man! Where to start? It's great. That's it. I can't think of a compliment that can elevate this movie.
        Tucker and Dale vs. Evil - Funny shit.

Comment

• I can't understand why all modern horror trailers have to sound like skipping CD of an industrial take on bro/dubstep :)
          WABWAB TTTTT BRRRRRR WRAAAAAAAW TSK TSK TSK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by X-Ray View Post

Just got home from watching this. Well worth not waiting for a home viewing with this one. Badass and loads of fun.

Comment

• Just saw REINCARNATED...The SNOOP LION(artist formerly known as Snoop Dogg) and it was great!

they must have smoked half the weed in Jamaica in the first 30 mins!!

Not a big fan of the producer dudes he was recording with ...But Snoop is coool and laid back as any man can be..and they touch on the Tupac / Suge Knight stuff too....

Well worth a watch!

Comment

• The Worlds' End. Really good, kind of a slow burn but really good and a good end to the blood and ice cream trilogy.

Also, shocked at how good and thoughtful the trailers were. The new Ben Stiller flick looks really good and Jackass Presents Bad Grandpa had me laughing my ass off.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                The Worlds' End. Really good, kind of a slow burn but really good and a good end to the blood and ice cream trilogy.

Also, shocked at how good and thoughtful the trailers were. The new Ben Stiller flick looks really good and Jackass Presents Bad Grandpa had me laughing my ass off.
                It was FanExpo here this weekend, so it was sold out pretty well everywhere downtown when I tried; wound up seeing it on a tv-scale screen in a converted Cineplex, unreasonably irritated, and it took a while to unfug. A little faster burn woulda helped, for me, that day. I'm not sure the balance of the way-foregrounded drama and the metered-out comedy was entirely right, and the ensemble needed to be stronger (too much Pegg, good as he was), but I bet it'll work a lot better when I'm not cursing the entirety of Starfleet. (Nice to see it with an appreciative audience, though.) I'd like to see THE INBETWEENERS do this story; also, I was really hoping for Daleks.

MITTY: Thurber plus LIFE? Thank you. BAD GRANDPA: Johnny Knoxville looks like Bill Murray.

Comment

• THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS. Pretty great to see it on a big screen. Film Forum's summer slumming with sf & horror, and Tuesdays are for Harryhausen. Almost stayed for SWAMP THING, but I read in a travel guide about kids in Amsterdam throwing a "No more Rembrandt! No more Rembrandt!" fit, so we called it a night. Might try for an ALIEN matinee tomorrow.

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more..._fe#nowplaying

Comment

• OUR LADY OF THE ASSASSINS - Dir. Barbet Schroeder (2000)

I've seen this film 3 or 4 times now & it never fails to leave an impact on me in terms of the way it depicts the "cheapness of life" of the young and essentially disposable low level drug cartel lackeys.

Comment

• CURSE OF THE BLUE LIGHTS: highly recommended. Muldoon Man! I haven't listened to the commentary yet, but the behind the scenes photos & notes are a great extra.

Comment

• THE NEST: Pretty slow for the first hour, but it sure picks up at the end.

Comment

• HUMAN PORK CHOP - Dir. Bennie Chan (2001)

A CAT III true crime thriller and while it lacks some of the over the top graphic sex & violence of other CAT III movies, it more than makes up for it with its degrading portrayal of human cruelty and just a pervasive mean spirited brutality towards the victim which just bludgeons the viewer into submission. One of the highlights or should I say "lowlights" is a nausea inducing scene reminiscent of Salo but without all the arty pretensions of Pasolini -- what makes this film all the more disturbing is that it is based on a real life crime dubbed the Hello Kitty murder that rocked Hong Kong in the late '90s.

Comment

• The Living Skeleton (1968). That was awesome. It's so wacky and cheesy, and the transfer is really beautiful B&W scope. I can't wait to see the rest of this Eclipse set (I have seen Goke before, but not this transfer). I found it at the public library.

From my laserdisc stash: W.C. Fields' THE BANK DICK. So excellent, and I'm noticing a lot of things I have never noticed before, now that I too am a cranky old guy. Hilarious.
                            I'm considering making some "Egbert Souse for Governor" signs to put up for the next election.
                            paul h.
                            woly boly
                            Last edited by paul h.; 09-14-2013, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• ATTACK! HAKATA STREET GANGS - Dir. Sogo Ishii (1978)

One of Ishii's early feature films included in his "Destroy Everything:The Punk Years 1976-1983" box set. As expected, technically it's not much to look at but I love Ishii's early DIY aesthetic & also the kick ass soundtrack that reverberates through out this movie. This film is about a close knit group of low level chimpira, who have both the police & yakuza in hot pursuit after killing the son of a powerful gang leader & robbing a bank. I felt the two of the more interesting characters were the zealous right wing nationalist who modifies model guns into real weapons & his retarded younger brother who goes around riding a bicycle with swastika flags adorned on it -- hence, his name Manji.

I have to admit that I haven't been a fan of his latest films particularly after his name change & was disappointed in both DEAD END RUN and ISN'T ANYONE ALIVE? but Ishii has produced such an interesting and entertaining body of work that he will always have a place as one of my favorite directors.

Comment

• World War Z - the pacing is fairly non-stop, throttle wide open, stuck in high gear, and on automatic pilot. Too bad the film makers felt they had to play it PG-13 safe, what good is a zombie movie without some gooey gore. Things actually move a little too fast for me at he beginning of the movie, a little more explanation, character development and foreboding might have helped as much as arterial spray and flying body parts. Maybe Brad could have made a few more pancakes. There were some good jump scares and some tense creeping around the big building scenes, but the whole thing was a bit homogenized and predictable (I did enjoy the grenade on a airplane scene). I watched this as a rental, and I'm glad that I didn't blind buy it, as I have no real desire to watch it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X