No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIMES SQUARE (Allan Moyle, 1980). Ah, geez. Stigwood fucked with it, the soundtrack was originally disco, and Tim Curry's dreamy Johnny Fever isn't really the star, but this is still great. Kino Lorber's got a blu-ray coming next year I hear. Thanks, Tubi.

https://tubitv.com/movies/609581/times-square

Comment

• I got into that 8 or 9 hour Beatles thing on Disney+. There are bits so far that go on too long, but it's a pretty fascinating look at a band working at polishing a turd and largely succeeding. I always considered the Beatles to be great songwriters, but outside of George and a little bit Paul, not much in the way of musicians, so I was surprised to see how musically proficient Lennon was in the studio. As a gear nerd, also wild to see the primitive equipment they were using to record.

Edit: Could do without the Yoko Ono jams, though.
      Mark Tolch
      Last edited by Mark Tolch; 12-01-2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• HUNTER HUNTER - Very cool new Canadian horror/survival flick. It stars Devon Sawa as a father who refuses to move his wife and daughter out of their small house in the wilderness, instead preferring to live off the land by hunting for food and selling pelts for basic supplies. While out checking traps with his daughter they discover that "the wolf is back" and dad sets out to kill it before it comes after them. He makes a chilling discovery out in the woods and it sets the second half in motion. I recommend not watching the trailer and just go in cold. The climax is really incredible and shocking.
        Matt H.
        Last edited by Matt H.; 12-01-2021, 10:36 AM.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Sold.

Comment

• The Beastmaster (USA, 1982) [VoD] - 3.5/5
            A boy who can communicate with animals goes on a big journey, thankfully not in a Disney movie, but a barbarian adventure. Selected highlights include the hero being born from a cow's stomach (dar fuk?), evil priests manufacturing homicidal SM freaks who instantly kill their makers, and the hero hooking up with a black panther and two thieving weasels (!) who become his best friends. There's also a topless Tanya Roberts. Conan the Barbarian this is not, but this remains a worthy barbarian adventure; one of the few with a proper budget and a unique vision. And how can you not love a movie whose major co-star was not allowed on set at the same time as children, since he might eat them. The fighting could be much better, though, and the film a lot shorter (it now stands at 118 min!).

Stryker (Philippines, 1983) - 3/5
            Cirio H. Santiago's first post apocalypse film. There are little people, big boobs, and hairy heroes. Not as good as the director's later Wheels of Fire (with more little people, bigger boobs, can't remember about the hairiness), but still a very passable entry in the genre. Post apocalypse films seemed to be a genre Santiago handled better than martial arts movies.

Blue Thunder (USA, 1983) [TV] - 4/5
            Under-rated concept thriller with fantastic action sequences. Roy Scheider is a helicopter pilot who gets to test-fly a new military model, and records evidence of political assassination by accident. The helicopter action has the kind of heavy physicality that is missing from today's CGI enhanced and/or over-stylized action films. The filmmakers were also wise enough to stick to the helicopter concept from start to finish, resulting in a film with an identity.

Drop Zone (USA, 1994) [TV] - 3.5/5
            Another under-rated John Badham film. This is somewhat comparable to Blue Thunder. Wesley Snipes is a cop who goes after sky diving criminals lead by the awesome Gary Busey. The Point Break influence is obvious, but the film stands on its own with breathtaking aerial stunts and a plot that is (wisely) entirely built on the skydiving theme, making this another film with an identity.

Comment

• The House of Gucci In the cinema. 3/5.

Holy overacting, Batman! But in a good way. Jared Leto, whom I usually can't stand, is hilarious in his overacting ways, and Al Pacino does his best to match him. Adam Driver needed to up the overacting, he was to plain. Lady Gaga was vulgar and good though.
              "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Castle Falls
                For what it is and on a shit budget with only 17 days to get it in the can this is fucking excellent. The plot is generic and the supporting cast is bland but the film is not without merit. It's fast paced and exciting. Well directed. Give Dolph a bigger budget to work with. Let him do his war epic. Also, Scott Adkins is really improving as an actor. Dolph, not so much... but at least he's trying. He's really starting to show his age though. He walks funny and can barely kick anymore (I know he had back troubles and double hip replacements). I don't think he can pull the action hero thing off much longer. But he's not a bad director. He should focus on shifting over to that.
                https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• The Beatles documentary. All 8 fucking hours of it!

I jest. Its actually pretty great. I'm not a serious Beatles fan (more of a Stones guy) but still is a fascinating look at the creative process in a group scenario. It is a bit trying if you give it your whole attention. Its just a bunch of guys rambling and bullshitting which is not necessarily always riveting but it makes for great distracted/background viewing where you can tune in and out where you care to.

The visuals are a bit waxy and a middle ground between the grain and this would be welcome. The audio is a marvel though. Very clever boffin in back rooms to pull that off.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Infinity. Well 10 minutes of Infinity, then it suddenly clicked in my head that Amazon would judge the quality of the movie by how many people finish the thing. Realising this I quickly switched it off. I don't want them making anything more like that...
                    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Mail Order Murder-Blu ray

Now while I had heard of Wave I never saw any of their films. So this documentary was a great history of this low budget custom video company. And it has some decent extras,a commentary with William Hellfire and some other dude. Plus a full WAVE film from 1988.

Comment

• Currently watching Curly Sue. I just realised that John Belushi and James Belushi are not the same person. Genuinely shook. Can't quite get my head around it. So many questions. Were they always different people? Which one was in Animal House? This is like my own personal Mandela effect moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                          Currently watching Curly Sue. I just realised that John Belushi and James Belushi are not the same person. Genuinely shook. Can't quite get my head around it. So many questions. Were they always different people? Which one was in Animal House? This is like my own personal Mandela effect moment.
                          https://comb.io/edavNs
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Yeah. No.

Comment

• Grand Tour Presents Carnage A Trois. A return to form for the boys after LochDown. Basically an hour and a half of French baiting which threatens to get them in as much trouble with the French as they did with the Mexicans a couple of years ago.

Comment

• WOLF GIRL (Thom Fitzgerald, 2001). Canadian shot-in-Romania cable FREAKS (or maybe THE APE WOMAN) teen flick, with a Peter S. Beagle vibe and a fine cast of actual freaks, including Tim Curry and Grace Jones. It's a little blocky in its construction (think duplo, not lego), but you can't go wrong with "we're all freaks, but you're the monsters" as a theme. Sweet hypertrichosis makeup, some boobs, and a little dick.

https://www.thearchive.tv/feature/wolf-girl

Comment

Working...
                                X