X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer for the uninitiated:

"When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Prime just added James May's BBC show The Reassembler, it is really quite an enjoyable watch.

Comment

• I finished BOSCH season 7. It left me wanting more. Really fantastic slow burn detective show. I look forward to the spinoff but I'm gonna miss the cast of the police station even if they eventually turn up. The last season was rough as his partner J. Edgar falls apart. Him and the Chief and the Lt. So many great characters.

Years ago after watching LONGMIRE I think I was trying to decide what to watch next and it was between YELLOWSTONE and TIN STAR. YELLOWSTONE got it's hooks in me and I forgot all about TIN STAR until I happened across it on Prime. I watched the first 3 or so episodes so far and it's very good but incredibly dark. Tim Roth is a a cop from Liverpool becoming the sheriff of a small Canadian town. Christina Hendricks plays a corporate liaison for an oil company. It runs for 3 seasons but the third season isn't on Prime. Anybody ever watch this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
          I finished BOSCH season 7. It left me wanting more. Really fantastic slow burn detective show. I look forward to the spinoff but I'm gonna miss the cast of the police station even if they eventually turn up. The last season was rough as his partner J. Edgar falls apart. Him and the Chief and the Lt. So many great characters.

Years ago after watching LONGMIRE I think I was trying to decide what to watch next and it was between YELLOWSTONE and TIN STAR. YELLOWSTONE got it's hooks in me and I forgot all about TIN STAR until I happened across it on Prime. I watched the first 3 or so episodes so far and it's very good but incredibly dark. Tim Roth is a a cop from Liverpool becoming the sheriff of a small Canadian town. Christina Hendricks plays a corporate liaison for an oil company. It runs for 3 seasons but the third season isn't on Prime. Anybody ever watch this?
          I watched about 5 minutes of the first episode of Tin Star. American shows really need to remember that small towns in Canada don't have their own police, they are policed by the RCMP or the provincial police in Ontario and Quebec. Hell, I live in the biggest suburb of Calgary, 100,000 people, and we don't have our own PD! It's really fucking simple to research that, so there's no excuse to get it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
            I watched about 5 minutes of the first episode of Tin Star. American shows really need to remember that small towns in Canada don't have their own police, they are policed by the RCMP or the provincial police in Ontario and Quebec. Hell, I live in the biggest suburb of Calgary, 100,000 people, and we don't have our own PD! It's really fucking simple to research that, so there's no excuse to get it wrong.
            Right? Though Taber & Camrose have their own police services, and at ten thousandish they're relatively schitts-creeky.

Tim Roth, eh? After I finish my theta-wave therapy slog through the entirety of Burn Notice, I should check that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
              It's a UK show, with an English lead, an English creator, and it was produced and distributed by Sky Atlantic, an English broadcaster. That is why Prime in the US doesn't have rights to air Season 3.

The creators invented the fictional "Royal Canadian Federal Police" instead of depicting RCMP, because the RCMP maintains copyright over their name and images including their uniform and logos. When they allow the use of those images and name, they also make sure that those images reflect well on the RCMP. They insist on accuracy in procedures and in law. That doesn't lend itself well to a show that's depicting an incredibly dark story.

It's called suspension of disbelief. It reeks of, "Did Lardass have to pay to get in the contest?" It's not a story about that. It's a story about a man losing his life/mind and trying to hold everything together.

When I was watching LONGMIRE there was always people online complaining that it wasn't a realistic depiction of Wyoming. As if anyone wants to watch that. If you read online threads about YELLOWSTONE people lose their minds that it doesn't represent cowboying realistically. Again, as if anyone would want to watch that. I can't imagine I'd want to watch a realistic depiction of a Canadian cop either, or whatever they call them. I just watched and loved BOSCH but I'm certain it's one hundred percent fantasy. Realism should never be the goal, yuck who wants that?

Different strokes and all that.

Comment

• We're not that touchy about hoser representation, but it's so rarely accurate it's hard not to roll a cold eye. I hear ya, Darcy.

Realism is okay in its place, but hard times call for high style. I'm pretty sure Banshee was not an accurate depiction of the Amish, but that never stopped it from being destination colonoscopy prep viewing. Binge & purge is how the catharsis gets in.

Comment

• I'm six episodes in now and it keeps getting better. If I'm being honest I do wish it felt a little more Canadian, filtered through all the English chaps gives it a rather off-kilter feel. I'm digging it. I mostly decided to watch it based on the landscape and that doesn't disappoint. Gorgeous scenery all around.

Comment

• Goddamn. I finished season 1 and rolled right into season 2. I paused for a second to watch the trailer and holy hell I can't wait to see all this. I have to say this show has so far exceeded my expectations. It's nutty as hell.

Worth watching for Tim Roth and Genevieve O'Reilly (No relation to Walter). But the whole spread is pretty damn great.

Scott
                    Intellectual Carrot
                    Last edited by Scott; 08-12-2021, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• I'm watching the Mr. Mercedes adaptation on Prime. I'm only just over an episode in, but seems they've nailed the book pretty well so far.

Comment

It's a UK show, with an English lead, an English creator, and it was produced and distributed by Sky Atlantic, an English broadcaster. That is why Prime in the US doesn't have rights to air Season 3.

The creators invented the fictional "Royal Canadian Federal Police" instead of depicting RCMP, because the RCMP maintains copyright over their name and images including their uniform and logos. When they allow the use of those images and name, they also make sure that those images reflect well on the RCMP. They insist on accuracy in procedures and in law. That doesn't lend itself well to a show that's depicting an incredibly dark story.

It's called suspension of disbelief. It reeks of, "Did Lardass have to pay to get in the contest?" It's not a story about that. It's a story about a man losing his life/mind and trying to hold everything together.

When I was watching LONGMIRE there was always people online complaining that it wasn't a realistic depiction of Wyoming. As if anyone wants to watch that. If you read online threads about YELLOWSTONE people lose their minds that it doesn't represent cowboying realistically. Again, as if anyone would want to watch that. I can't imagine I'd want to watch a realistic depiction of a Canadian cop either, or whatever they call them. I just watched and loved BOSCH but I'm certain it's one hundred percent fantasy. Realism should never be the goal, yuck who wants that?

Different strokes and all that.
                        The English have even less of an excuse, as the Royal part of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is a remnant of their being an organ of the British government.

Comment

• The name was changed because the RCMP wouldn't sign off on the rights to use their image. It's not a conspiracy or has anything to do with people from another country not understanding Canada's police system.

Comment

The name was changed because the RCMP wouldn't sign off on the rights to use their image. It's not a conspiracy or has anything to do with people from another country not understanding Canada's police system.
                            The Mounties are ridiculous about licensing the name and uniform, but it wouldn't be hard to make up something closer to reality.

Comment

• Royal Canadian Literally Police would've been closer, only off by one letter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry M View Post
                                Royal Canadian Literally Police would've been closer, only off by one letter.
                                Royal Canadian Mafia Police, if they wanted to comment on the corruption of the real Mounties.

Comment

Working...
                                X