• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruella
    Garbage male hatred propaganda.
    Also the main character is a fucking asshole
    through and through. Why should we root for
    someone like that? And of course they've already
    greenlit a sequel. I hate this world. I like Emma Stone (a lot)
    but FUCK... stop starring in shitty movies. Goddamnit!
    https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Was Emma Stone ever in good movies, though? The only ones I've seen with her that were passable were the two ZOMBIELAND flicks, BIRDMAN and PAPER MAN. SUPERBAD was pretty funny, but hardly because of her. I guess EASY A and CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE were slightly above average for those type of films. I think the best thing she's appeared in to date is the MANIAC miniseries.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• I quite like EASY A. It's funny and charming. I haven't seen a lot of her other starring role films, just supporting player stuff. She was really good in EASY A though.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• I haven't seen her in anything. Sometimes she looks very pretty and sometimes she looks odd. I can't quite put my finger on in.
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• The Falcon Strikes Back
            The Falcon In Danger
            The Falcon & The Coeds
            The Falcon Out West

Picked these up in a trade with Andrew Monroe decades ago. They're a lot of fun.
            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Banks View Post
              The Falcon Strikes Back
              The Falcon In Danger
              The Falcon & The Coeds
              The Falcon Out West

Picked these up in a trade with Andrew Monroe decades ago. They're a lot of fun.
              They are great fun! I can't remember if it was included, but THE FALCON TAKES OVER was based on Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely. Easily the best entry in the series.
              I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Animal House in 4K

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                  Animal House in 4K
                  That was the number one movie the week I was born.

Comment

• Beyond the Door III

Wow. Maybe the most gloriously insane and moronic movie ever. I do have to give credit to finding the solution to the devil wanting a virgin bride that I have always been annoyed is often overlooked.

Comment

• the beach bum (2019) - I can't understand the criticism or the bad reviews, I think this is almost as good as spring breakers. okay, if you hate mcconaughey's antics or have never seen a film by harmony korine this will be a tough watch. but why would you watch it in the first place? It seems like many expected this to be a mainstream comedy. I read a review where the guy was seriously freaked out about the scene, where an old man in a wheelchair was beaten and left unconscious while mcconaughey and efron robbed him.

watch out for that dolphin-scene with martin lawrence, it's fucking hilarious!

the arrival (1996) - charlie sheen was aliens! this played almost on an endless loop on TV back when I was a kid. I rewatched it again on blu-ray and it's amazing how well it hold up. the first half of the movie is still kind of mediocre, but when he discovers the underground alien base it's a fun ride till the end ... unless you're easily offended(!) evil latino extraterrestrials, charlie sheen wearing mexican makeup and the fact that the underlying environmental message isn't a guilt trip (if there is a message about global warming here, it is that aliens are causing it!) - that shit really wouldn't fly today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                        They are great fun! I can't remember if it was included, but THE FALCON TAKES OVER was based on Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely. Easily the best entry in the series.
                        I think it is. I'm watching the Conway Falcons at this point with plans for Sanders later.
                        "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• You Can't Kill David Arquette: Strange fellow David Arquette. I was listening to him recently on The Movies That Made Me. He put on a strange performance and, frankly, afterwards I was not entirely convinced that he'd ever seen a movie. That said he used to be a bit of fun as an actor back in the day. I liked him even if I don't entirely get him.

I also don't get wrestling. No doubt the guys doing it at the highest level are absolute specimens but I'm not following it as a sport. Although I say that as someone who's heavily involved in the burlesque world and wrestling and burlesque are probably closer to each other as spectacles than they are to any other pursuit.

Well I might not get it but Arquette does. He comes across as genuinely passionate as he seeks a switch from acting to finding proper respect as a wrestler- apparently he was world champion back in the day as a publicity stunt.

At first it all comes across a bit sad. Arquette seems like he has genuine mental troubles. After doing some brain scans we're told his brain is not connected properly. It all seems a bit exploitative. Particularly when he turns up to his first show and finds that its just a bunch of kids in a back yard who definitely want to hurt him. They do. Gross.

He gets some actual training though and starts to put together a few moves and, at times, to the non follower, he can really look like he knows what he's doing. At that point you can start to temper your pity with some respect. Both of those feeling deepen considerably when he gets his throat cut at a dodgy 'death match' and still gets back in the ring to finish the show.

Its an interesting character study. It needs to finish on a high which feels artificial but most everything leading up to that feels quite raw and real.
                          Last edited by Dom D; 06-16-2021, 02:17 AM.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Bond, part 3

The Living Daylights (UK, 1987) [VoD] - 3.5/5
                            Solid cold war Bond with decent action and an excellent theme song. Dalton is not half bad, and Jeroen Krabbe is a lot of fun. There's even slight nudity in the film! The only problem: the film is too bloody long at 131 min, and feels like two different movies patched together (and even if we were to accept that, there are still surplus scenes that shouldn't have made the final cut).

Licence to Kill (UK, 1989) [BD] - 3.5/5
                            Bond goes splatter. The most violent film in the series, with cruelty that feels mismatched in the series. It's is a captivating, effective action picture all the same. Lots of interesting names in the cast: Robert Davi, Benicio Del Toro, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa... plus Desmond Llewelyn getting his biggest role in the series.

Goldeneye (UK, 1995) [VoD] - 4/5
                            The last great Bond film for quite some time to come. This one captures the “just past the cold war” era better than almost any other action film. Brosnan is excellent as Bond, and the character well written as a dangerous, seductive and tragic relic of a bygone era.

Tomorrow Never Dies (UK, 1997) [VoD] - 2.5/5
                            Late 90s techno Bond with a still-timely theme (media manipulation and misinformation) and frankly not that bad a villain. Also, Teri Hatcher has a cute voice and Michelle Yeoh is some fun. But the rest is mediocre, from lame one-liners to uninspired action scenes and forgettable theme song.

The World is Not Enough (UK, 1999) [VoD] - 2/5
                            The most tiresome (though still tolerable) entry in the series, with decent actors like Carlyle wasted in instantly forgettable roles. The storyline is as bland as they come. The only thing popping out here is Denise Richards' boobs. Well, those and the ever reliable Coltrane and Dench. The theme song is bad, too.

Die Another Day (UK, 2002) [VoD] - 2.5/5
                            Brosnan's last Bond, utterly ridiculous and loaded with some of the worst CGI ever seen in a major film. But strangely enough, this is more watchable and entertaining than the previous film. The storyline at least has a bit of suspense to it, and the storytelling is not as shabby as in The World is Not Enough. Madonna's theme song is odd: I examined my speakers and internet connection before I realized it's supposed to sound like crap, with sound dropping off every few seconds. Must've been some teen thing.
                            Takuma
                            Last edited by Takuma; 06-18-2021, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                              Bond, part 3

The Living Daylights (UK, 1987) [VoD] - 3.5/5
                              Solid cold war Bond with decent action and an excellent theme song. Dalton is not half bad, and Jeroen Krabbe is a lot of fun. There's even slight nudity in the film! The only problem: the film is too bloody long at 131 min, and feels like two different movies patched together (and even if we were to accept that, there are still surplus scenes that shouldn't have made the final cut).

Licence to Kill (UK, 1989) [BD] - 3.5/5
                              Bond goes splatter. The most violent film in the series, with cruelty that feels mismatched in the series. It's is a captivating, effective action picture all the same. Lots of interesting names in the cast: Robert Davi, Benicio Del Toro, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa... plus Desmond Llewelyn getting his biggest role in the series.

Goldeneye (UK, 1995) [VoD] - 4/5
                              The last great Bond film for quite some time to come. This one captures the “just past the cold war” era better than almost any other action film. Brosnan is excellent as Bond, and the character well written as a dangerous, seductive and tragic relic of a bygone era.

Tomorrow Never Dies (UK, 1997) [VoD] - 2.5/5
                              Late 90s techno Bond with a still-timely theme (media manipulation and misinformation) and frankly not that bad a villain. Also, Teri Hatcher has a cute voice and Michelle Yeoh is some fun. But the rest is mediocre, from lame one-liners to uninspired action scenes and forgettable theme song.

The World is Not Enough (UK, 1999) [VoD] - 2/5
                              The most tiresome (though still tolerable) entry in the series, with decent actors like Carlyle wasted in instantly forgettable roles. The storyline is as bland as they come. The only thing popping out here is Denise Richards' boobs. Well, those and the ever reliable Coltrane and Dench. The theme song is bad, too.

Die Another Day (UK, 2002) [VoD] - 2.5/5
                              Brosnan's last Bond, utterly ridiculous and loaded with some of the worst CGI ever seen in a major film. But strangely enough, this is more watchable and entertaining than the previous film. The storyline at least has a bit of suspense to it, and the storytelling is not as shabby as in The World is Not Enough. Madonna's theme song is odd: I examined my speakers and internet connection before I realized it's supposed to sound like crap, with sound dropping off every few seconds. Must've been some teen thing.
                              I like the Dalton films. They're excellent pictures but spoilt by some terrible production choices and crowbarred-in scenes of humour - which are particularly jarring in LICENCE TO KILL (that goddamned winking fish statue). GOLDENEYE is superb, though. I remember seeing that at the cinema and being hugely pleased with it.

I finally watched the newest NO TIME TO DIE trailer in full this morning, and I have to say that based on what I've seen there, the excesses and the hints of a more wisecracking Bond look set to drag the series back to DIE ANOTHER DAY levels. I hope that isn't the case, but...
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

• I love License To Kill. I wish we got more Dalton Bonds.

Comment

Working...
                                X