What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSYCHO GOREMAN (2020)

Boy was this a bunch of fun! Like ET and MONSTER SQUAD crossed with Troma and Gwar with maybe even a little bit of Power Rangers and Spectreman. I thought the little sister in this was a riot. And genuinely felt bad for the father at times, even while I was laughing at him. This was just what I needed.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Killer Force-Ok actioner with a great cast (Peter Fonda, Telly Savalas, Hugh O'Brian, Maud Adams, Christopher Lee) about robbing a diamond mining company in South Africa. The PQ is great.

Foreign Intrigue-Robert Mitchum gets tangled up in a world of deceit, blackmail and spies. Mitchum is good as usual and the action bounces around Europe. I really enjoyed it, but the ending left me somewhat disappointed as it just ends with plenty of thrills left on the table unexplored. This could have used another 15 minutes to give us a satisfying conclusion.

Varan The Unbelievable-Japanese tv cut in two 27 minute parts. If you ever wondered what a giant monster movie without the sappy human interest subplot would be like, here it is. Its sucks with or without it. This is just 50 minutes of the army shooting at a monster with jet propelled nuts. It also has way too many black screen scenes with audio only .
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• THE KID DETECTIVE (2020)

"No longer a kid. Not much of a detective."

Red Letter Media recommend this and boy am I glad they did. Their review goes into it for a bit but they're right about good movies getting lost in this sea of streaming services. I think you can buy it on Amazon or rent it there. It's certainly worth it.

This was quite frankly the best movie I've seen in a long time (Not to sell PHSYCHO GOREMAN short but I digress). It's fresh while being nostalgic while staying true to the genre. Maybe too silly at times to be considered a true neo-noir but I'll call it that. The silliness is all heart and feels so goddamn true it turns quickly into pity. Goddammit stop being a cunt and watch this movie.

It's produced by and stars Adam Brody who was in FOX's THE OC and now mostly bounces around in supporting roles. Funny because I always liked him whenever he popped up somewhere but I never thought much beyond it. He's superlative here. I believe it's from a book so that explains why it's so well done.

Adam Brody plays a phenom kid detective who grew up in a Mayberry-esque town and now he's all grown up and barely getting by trying to do the same schtick. One day a real case falls in his lap and it's his big chance to prove himself to everyone while also curing himself of some demons.

At time's a blend of '70s neo-noir with '80s nostalgia and small town childhood glee it is absolutely pitch perfect. This movie challenges and celebrates those conventions at once yet still feels fresh and modern. Like I said, stop being a c-word and see it.

Scott
        Intellectual Carrot
        Last edited by Scott; 02-27-2021, 12:25 AM.

Comment

• And I realize that per usual I am the last one to get on board, but Holy Mackerel, I just discovered
          GARTH MARENGHI'S DARKPLACE. I'm trying to limit myself to 1 episode a day. Since there are only 6 of them.

I simply cannot get enough of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
            And I realize that per usual I am the last one to get on board, but Holy Mackerel, I just discovered
            GARTH MARENGHI'S DARKPLACE. I'm trying to limit myself to 1 episode a day. Since there are only 6 of them.

I simply cannot get enough of this.

There's a spin off series, Man to Man with Dean Learner. It's not in the same league but it's not too bad as I recall.
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• Originally posted by agent999 View Post
              There's a spin off series, Man to Man with Dean Learner. It's not in the same league but it's not too bad as I recall.
              Thanks I will definitely check it out!

Comment

• And also the A Gun for George short, he plays a similar crime writer.
                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

• The Kid Detective
                  I fully agree with Scott about this film. Very good movie. Funny and heartbreaking.
                  Relatable main character too (I know all about being stuck in the past so a lot rang
                  terrifyingly true).

Coming 2 America
                  Predictable unfunny nostalgia bait infested with destructive PC propaganda. Complete dog shit
                  and a continued tragical waste of the great Wesley Snipes. Worst movie of the year and a
                  sequel nobody asked for. Nice Dolemite nod with the Signifying Monkey bit in the end credits
                  though.
                  https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                    The Kid Detective
                    I fully agree with Scott about this film. Very good movie. Funny and heartbreaking.
                    Relatable main character too (I know all about being stuck in the past so a lot rang
                    terrifyingly true).

Coming 2 America
                    Predictable unfunny nostalgia bait infested with destructive PC propaganda. Complete dog shit
                    and a continued tragical waste of the great Wesley Snipes. Worst movie of the year and a
                    sequel nobody asked for. Nice Dolemite nod with the Signifying Monkey bit in the end credits
                    though.

Appreciate you taking one for the team for COMING TO AMERICA 2. What's next to ruin, TRADING PLACES 2?

I agree with you agreeing with me about THE KID DETECTIVE and agree about the being stuck in the past bit. I absolutely loved that final scene and can't think of another recent film that captures those emotional grief stricken '70s film endings better. It had me from the first scene but that last shot just killed me. Bravo.

Comment

Appreciate you taking one for the team for COMING TO AMERICA 2. What's next to ruin, TRADING PLACES 2?

I agree with you agreeing with me about THE KID DETECTIVE and agree about the being stuck in the past bit. I absolutely loved that final scene and can't think of another recent film that captures those emotional grief stricken '70s film endings better. It had me from the first scene but that last shot just killed me. Bravo.
                      Funny, there's a a Duke & Duke reference in Coming 2 America. I only know that because it takes place in the first 20 minutes, after which I shut it off. It was seriously in danger of ruining the first film for me. Utter fuckin garbage.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
                        Funny, there's a a Duke & Duke reference in Coming 2 America
                        Of course there is.

Comment

• The Island (1980). Never seen it before. I remember William Goldman writing about it briefly. From memory the director was scheduled to direct one of Goldman's but once The Island was presented to the world they thought better of it, 'violent, boring, the worst.'

It's a strange beast. I very much enjoyed the setup. Hundreds of boats are disappearing off the coast of Florida and the only person who's interested is journalist Michael Caine.

It turns out they're disappearing because on a Carribbean island a bunch of old buccaneers have been hiding out for the last 300 years, inbreeding amongst themselves and keeping up the pirating lifestyle.

Caine decides to take his 12 year old son along to investigate this dangerous phenomenon(!!?). No sooner do they hit the waters than they are tcaptured by the pirates.

Usually they kill everyone they come across. Caine though gets lucky . They decide to keep him for breeding stock (score!). Less fortuitously his son goes native within a week. From slightly eccentric schoolboy to cold blooded pirate killer in no time at all.

After that there's a hell of a lot of Caine escaping, Caine being recaptured, Caine moaning about being cold and wet.

It's all very tiresome and possibly the least likely film to have ever happened. And oddly the pirating scenes have Errol Flynn pirating type scores.

I wouldn't let the director shoot my script either.
                          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I love THE ISLAND but agree it doesn't completely come together. Great set up though.

Comment

Of course there is.
                              There was one in the original movie, so it stands to reason they'd repeat it.

Comment

• THE KID DETECTIVE - I didn't like this film...I fucking LOVED it! Mad props to Scott for the recommendation. This blackly hilarious neo-noir absolutely rivets you from the opening scene. It's also bitterly sad and rings painfully true, the final scene is tough to watch. I wasn't familiar with Adam Brody before this, he absolutely kills in the film. Sophie Nelisse is also fucking awesome. Killer soundtrack too, with some boss Nancy Sinatra tunes. Don't let this film get lost among the flood of dreck, you NEED to see this. You'll be glad you did when all the cool kids are talking about it in a few years.
                                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Working...
                                X