What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Dislocated shoulder makes me almost vomit every damn time.
    I've dislocated my shoulders so many times now that it only gets a yawn, even when it's my own shoulder!

Comment

• I'm not big on war movies either but just recently I've been rewatching Bridge On The River Kwai and A Bridge Too Far. Both flat out masterpieces. Neither has the adventure of Guns Of Navaronne but Kwai is one of the more interesting movies that focus on a character study . You don't really expect in an epic like this. A Bridge on the other hand is one of the better "madness of war" type movies that doesn't focus on the slaughter. I wonder if you could do a huge war movie like these days that's about the good guys getting their arses kicked? Probably not. But then this was an independent movie from back in the days when an independent movie could star Connery, Caine, Hackman, Olivier, Bogarde, Hopkins, O'Neil, Redford and on and on.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
        WHERE EAGLES DARE is one of my favorite films period. It's not just a damn fine war film, it's one of the best action movies ever made. Eastwood and Burton are fantastic, and the music score never fails to get my blood pumping. That main theme is just outstanding. Makes you want to go blow something up! The plot is so well constructed - I love the intrigue of the possibility of one of them being a traitor. GUNS OF NAVARONE is top notch as well, great ensemble cast in another grand adventure. I have a real affinity for those "men on a mission" type films - THE DIRTY DOZEN is another.

Love those Rathbone Holmes films! THE SCARLET CLAW is perhaps my favorite, it the one that comes closest to a full on horror film. HOUND OF THE BSASKERVILLES is very close as well. Nigel Bruce can get on my nerves a bit depending on the picture, sometimes he gets too goofy for my tastes. He plays the character very different from the Watson of Doyle's stories and novels. Still adore the series though.
        WHERE EAGLES DARE really surprised me. Even with it's pedigree I guess I just never heard enough people talking about it.

Yeah SCARLETT CLAW was one of the better ones. That and PEARL OF DEATH with Rondo Hatten (another reason I should have checked it out sooner). Nigel Bruce is definitely a bit to bumbly but I found him loveable enough overall. I do prefer Andre Morell from Hammer's BASKERVILLE as Watson. Wish we could have got more of that team.

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        I'm not big on war movies either but just recently I've been rewatching Bridge On The River Kwai and A Bridge Too Far. Both flat out masterpieces. Neither has the adventure of Guns Of Navaronne but Kwai is one of the more interesting movies that focus on a character study . You don't really expect in an epic like this. A Bridge on the other hand is one of the better "madness of war" type movies that doesn't focus on the slaughter. I wonder if you could do a huge war movie like these days that's about the good guys getting their arses kicked? Probably not. But then this was an independent movie from back in the days when an independent movie could star Connery, Caine, Hackman, Olivier, Bogarde, Hopkins, O'Neil, Redford and on and on.
        I'll put both them on the watch list. Bridge On The River Kwai is another one that I've been meaning to check out forever.
        "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Rewatched The Nice Guys for the tenth time already. I don't know why this film didn't rule the whole world. It's the new plus ultra of Black's buddy movie comedies. He'd been refining the formula for decades and he finally nailed it 100%. Or 92% according to Rotten Tomatoes where it is his highest rated movie.

And why did no one go to see it in cinemas? 60 million dollar takings on a 50million dollar budget doesn't make for good reading. Black says he's in for a sequel while Joel Silver says he's not paying for it. Maybe we could do a whip around. I've got about fifty bucks in my bank account how about you?
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• THE RENTAL - Two couples rent a beautiful coastal home for a weekend getaway. Things are going swell until one of them discovers a camera in the shower - they think it's the creepy caretaker who's responsible...but is it? This was pretty well done, takes its time to get going a bit but ultimately quite tense and brutal. The twist is easy to see coming, and nothing else is particularly original but it's done with style and the (unknown, at least to me) cast is uniformly good. The creepy caretaker is played by that guy who was in an episode of SEINFELD - "I'm the WIZ! I'm the WIZ! Nobody beats me!" Nice, unsettling ending too.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Friday the 13th: Part 2 (USA, 1981) [VoD] - 2.5/5
              Surprisingly watchable sequel is functional from start to finish, and even clever at times. That is, the ridiculously long opening recap aside. It is too bad the film's hottest girl had to turn out to be a minor and her nude scene deleted from the film.

Friday the 13th: Part 3 (USA, 1982) [VoD] - 1.5/5
              Inept third film bores the viewer to death before the last 3rd finally picks up the pace and delivers some tolerable horror action.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (USA, 1985) [(VoD] 1.5/5
              Universally hated part 5, but not as bad as part 3, thanks to plentiful boobs and a nice little chainsaw scene at the end. The redneck mom-son tag team would admittedly be a new low if there wasn't so much plain boredom (which is even worse) in the series.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (USA, 1988) [VoD] - 1.5/5
              Pedestrian entry gains some momentum towards the end (as usual) and the ridiculous climax makes it feel at least somewhat worth the pain it took to get there. Bad, but marginally better than parts 3 and 5.

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (USA, 1988) [VoD] - 2.5/5
              Jason goes on a cruise, and reaches N.Y. 25 min before the film ends. A welcome change of pace, technically more competent than some others in the series, and surely one of the best cruise ship slashers out there? Also contains a punk rock girl and the biggest asshole in the series.

Parts 4 and 6 I had already seen before. They are better than the rest, but I'm still wondering what on earth are people seeing in this series...

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                Parts 4 and 6 I had already seen before. They are better than the rest, but I'm still wondering what on earth are people seeing in this series...
                Nostalgia.
                Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• The Invisible Man the latest version popped up on a streaming provider the other day, so I gave it a shot. OK but like most Blumhouse product it feels like it was made for people who had never seen a horror movie (or any other movie) ever before. (which it probably was)
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• The Secret Of My Success. It's funny when you go back and rewatch 80s movies how 50s they sometimes feel. This is a prime example. I imagine it would be uncomfortable viewing for a modern audience. Frankly it comes across a bit... rape-y. It's pretty much the definitive 80s film. Fox wants a top job in a city office because... well why wouldn't you want a top job in a city office? It's so fucked. Watchable though. Cliche and boring but watchable. They play Yellows Oh Yeah twice.

Tenet. Apart from Dunkirk I've disliked every Nolan movie. This movie is a prime example of exactly why he's so tiresome and yet there's a couple of moment in here so fun they just about justify the mind numbing, self aggrandising, incomprehensibility of the whole thing. Sort of liked it.

Comment

• Greenland - You know those Hollywood actors who somehow manage to look like they are in early middle age well into their late 60s? Yeah, well, Gerard Butler is definitely not on of those.

This turned up on Amazon Prime a little while back and I was expecting one of those sci fi channel apocalypse movies- Butler having done at least one of those already. It's apparent early though that this is a real movie and a quick googling shows it was supposed to be in theatres in August before being sold HBO for a cool $20 million.

I watch apocalypse movies with a slightly different eye now. Two hours of the earth anticipating destruction in this and no one mentions toilet paper even once. Very unrealistic. The other unrealistic thing is how accepting large sections of the population are about the fact that they are about to be whooomped by a comet. They show rioting and looting and whatnot but the military calmly keeps functioning even though they're not getting a place in the bunkers. If it was me, I'd call in sick.

Has its charms though. For brain off, Sunday on the couch, viewing there are worst things than watching Butler charging about Trying To Get His Family Back.

Comment

• I've been laid low with an infection and am taking a strong antibiotic that could "snap" my tendons if not careful. The past three days I've watched a shit ton of movies. Ignore the numbers in front of the title. The ratings are from ack! to 10:

035-Diabolical Dr Z 5.5
                        036-Attack Of The Robots 6
                        037-Destroy All Monsters 6.5
                        038-Righteous Kill 5.5
                        039-Zombies Of Mass Destruction ack!
                        040-Gallery Of Horrors 1.5
                        042-Before I Hang 5.5
                        043-Curse Of The Stone Hand 4.5
                        044-House Of Black Death 4
                        045-Ghidorah, The Three Headed Monster 8
                        046-Blackenstein (Theatrical) 2
                        047-Pillow Of Death 5.5
                        048-They Came From Beyond Space 3.5
                        049-Beast Of The Yellow Night 8
                        "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Take it easy there, Gary. I don't want to hear any stories about snapping tendons.
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            Take it easy there, Gary. I don't want to hear any stories about snapping tendons.
                            Believe me, neither do I. I absolutely had a freak out when told of this possible side effect.
                            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Crock of Gold - A Few Rounds With Shane MacGowan. Finally available up here.

Comment

• Truck Turner.

Why the hell has it taken me 47 years to see this? Awesome entertainment. Modern imitators don't even come close. Just wish this had become a franchise.
                                I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Working...
                                X