What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
    Would have liked to have seen an uncut blu with the playground scene. That was also in the novelization of the script/film, which I read a billion times as a kid.
    I prefer Riggs' introduction in the theatrical cut: "One hundred thousand."
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• Superbad
      Wish fulfillment for schlubby dudes. No, Emma Stone and the rest
      of the chicks in this film wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire right
      in front of them. A Beanie Feldstein type of girl might be sorta interested
      in you though. Overrated and way too long but fun enough. It also hit me that I
      really really looked like McLovin when I was at that age which made me
      cringe and relive old, terrible embarrassing memories.

Moglie Nuda E Siciliana
      Cheesy Andrea Bianchi sex comedy starring a real knock out I've never heard of before
      named Christiana Borghi. Beautiful girl (off to vintage erotica forum we go). The tv rip
      lacked english subs so there were some guess work involved as to what was going on plotwise.
      I think some dude's car broke down in the countryside where he then got mistaken for someone
      else by our gorgeous leading lady and thus had to go through a shotgun wedding, arranged by her
      angry brothers. Then he and his new bride moved to the city where she promptly left him before
      consummating the marriage. Then she stumbled into photo romanzi work as a model but the guy
      funding the mag demanded they switch to nude stuff instead. Then her original beau (the one she
      thought it was in the beginning of the film) stumbled upon her nude pics and got pissed so he sought
      her out. They end up in bed but she gets cold feet and kicks him in the balls, so he leaves. Then her
      brothers start looking for her along with her husband. Her husband eventually finds her and sorta rapes
      her in the back of a truck. Mid forcible sex she comes around and starts liking him after running from him the
      entire film. The end. Weird film but sorta entertaining.

Death Steps In The Dark
      Tonally weird Leonard Mann giallo. I was completely entertained and laughed quite
      a bit at the cheesy humor thrown in here and there amid the gore. I'd love to see
      this get a blu-ray release. A gem!

Death Carries A Cane
      Pedestrian (but entertaining) giallo from the same director as the above film. Susan Scott, Simon Andreu and
      Robert Hoffman are all solid. Too bad the story is a little weak. It doesn't really make sense when all is said and done
      but it's a decent enough time. Arrow should do a double feature of these two weird flicks.
      Nabonga
      Last edited by Nabonga; 08-03-2020, 02:10 PM.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• SWINGERS: I saw this when it came out at the cinemas and hadn't seen it since. I enjoyed it a lot more this time but it was a tough watch.

When I first saw SWINGERS the characters were all considerably older than me and the world they were traversing was as foreign to me as Lord Of The Rings and there wasn't much to connect to. This time though I'm much older than they are and it's a different film. All of s udden its reltable but only in a nostalgic sense. Now its about watching characters who haven't worked it out yet bumble around and fuck things up. I miss bumbling around from bars to clubs to parties in my 20s. That sense of not knowing where the nights going to take you. Generally you didn't have a great time but you always had an experience and every experience back then was a new one. Fuck covid and fuck getting old.

Amazing how many people in this went on to have careers. Liman's an A lister. Jon Favreau is in everything. Heather Graham was huge for a bit there. Vince Vaughan shagged Jennifer Aniston. Little film but worked out great for everyone.
        Last edited by Dom D; 08-03-2020, 04:42 PM.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Unhinged

Russel Crowe stars in a DTV type thriller that thanks to COVID got released in theatres over here so they have something to show. Would have worked just as well on the small screen. But I hope that good ole Russ goes the Nic Cage/Bruce Willis career route now. He can be fun in this type of schlock.
          "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

• Girl Most Likely
            Unremarkable but nice and cozy Kristen Wiig dramedy. I throw this on once in a while when I'm down or catastrophically bored. It's just entertaining.

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World
            Wonderful end of the world drama/comedy/road movie with the ever likeable Steve Carrell and a charming Keira Knightley. A nice little love story.
            Nabonga
            Last edited by Nabonga; 08-06-2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

• Watching FRATERNITY VACATION tonight because I'll never not have a crush on Leigh McCloskey.
              It's so surreal seeing his 80s movies and reconciling them with the kooky culty guy he is now.

Comment

• Just googled him. Wow... dude really went off the deep end.

Masterminds
                I have a deep hatred for anything Zach Galifianakis. But Kristen Wiig is in it and I really dig her so I watched this. Also, I can stomach Owen Wilson and his fucked up dick nose (Luke Wilson is the best Wilson brother, imo). Based on a true story, Kristen Wiig (who is very trashy hot in this film) uses her wiles to sucker Zach's character into committing an armored car company robbery with the "help" of shady Owen Wilson and his pals. Shockingly they manage to knock off the place and they all go into hiding. Stuck in Mexico, Zach grows increasingly impatient when Kristen doesn't show up as promised to join him so Owen Wilson hires creepy hitman Jason Sudeikis to kill him. Hijinx ensue. This was alright I guess. I'll probably never watch it again but I didn't hate it. I still don't have a clue how or why Zach Galifianakis has a career but whatever.

Zoolander 2
                Poor sequel with many jokes falling completely flat. Again I didn't hate it but it's not very good. Kristen Wiig does a kooky Donatella Versace send up and Will Ferrell is his usual obnoxious shouty self. Decidedly meh movie.

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure
                Adorably stupid in every single way. Lots of fun and inspired lunacy on display. Alex Winters and Keanu Reeves are pitch perfect for the material.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
                Textbook case of unneeded sequel. Not nearly as entertaining as the first one. I looked at my watch several times. I do like Bill Sadler as death though. I'm gonna go ahead and give the upcoming third movie a miss since it's obvious it's gonna be stinky poop. Bill And Ted was an 80's-90's thing. Also they genderflipped their offspring which is totally bogus, man.

Angie Tribeca - Season 1
                Highly entertaining cop show spoof in the tradition of Naked Gun. I was skeptical at first but they really pull it off beautifully. Rashida Jones stars and a zillion cool people pop in to guest star during the show.
                Nabonga
                Last edited by Nabonga; 08-09-2020, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Watched „Southern Comforts“ from 1971 last night. A beauty contest is staged in the barn of a dimwit called The Colonel. The beauty contest doesn't last too long as The Colonel and his buddies get down to business with the contestants.
                  I prefer „Cult Classic Movies“, my favourite movie channel on YouTube. Fine Collections of free timeless Movies. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnX...8D6wKrum_wdVUA

Comment

• Anchorman 2
                    Another pointless, poor sequel. And it goes on forever (apparently there's even an extended cut). Yuck.

Angie Tribeca - Season 2
                    Still fucking funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                      Anchorman 2
                      Another pointless, poor sequel. And it goes on forever (apparently there's even an extended cut). Yuck.
                      I think I originally saw the extended cut. All I remember is how long and boring it was. Admittedly I wasn't big on the first movie either but it was light years better than the sequel.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• I remember being "meh" on the first Anchorman. I've only seen it twice. My one and only go to Will Ferrell movie is The Other Guys, which is legitimately great in every way.

Angie Tribeca - Season 3
                        A little less funny but still some genuine laughs to be had.

Comment

• How much Deon Cole is in ANGIE? I keep meaning to check it out mostly to see him.
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                            SWINGERS: I saw this when it came out at the cinemas and hadn't seen it since. I enjoyed it a lot more this time but it was a tough watch.

When I first saw SWINGERS the characters were all considerably older than me and the world they were traversing was as foreign to me as Lord Of The Rings and there wasn't much to connect to. This time though I'm much older than they are and it's a different film. All of s udden its reltable but only in a nostalgic sense. Now its about watching characters who haven't worked it out yet bumble around and fuck things up. I miss bumbling around from bars to clubs to parties in my 20s. That sense of not knowing where the nights going to take you. Generally you didn't have a great time but you always had an experience and every experience back then was a new one. Fuck covid and fuck getting old.

Amazing how many people in this went on to have careers. Liman's an A lister. Jon Favreau is in everything. Heather Graham was huge for a bit there. Vince Vaughan shagged Jennifer Aniston. Little film but worked out great for everyone.
                            I loved it when it came out, and it's kinda my "make me feel better" film. Always brings a smile to my face, I love when Vaughn does all of his beautiful baby speeches and making Gretzky's head bleed. So many awesome things. But yeah, reminded me of bar/party hopping back in the day. I can't even imagine doing that now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              How much Deon Cole is in ANGIE? I keep meaning to check it out mostly to see him.
                              He's in it quite a bit. He's a regular and one of the team so I'd say lots of screentime. Funny, likeable dude. It's a hilarious show so give it a watch.

Edit: It appears I spoke too soon. Deon Cole only seems to be in one episode in Season 4. Otherwise he's in like every episode in the previous seasons.
                              Nabonga
                              Last edited by Nabonga; 08-16-2020, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• Having a 90s fest at the moment. Followed up Swingers with AIRHEADS. Again I don't think I've seen this since it first came out. I was surprised by the cast. Adam Sandler, Steve Buscemi and Brendan Fraser are the band? I did not recall those names at all except for Fraser. This is so close to being great while in actuality being only borderline good. I love the theme, Joe Mantegna's being awesome, the Die Hard send up angle should be the gateway to a lot of great gags. But the movie never really takes off. I think tonally they never quite got a handle on it. They're kind of leaning into Bill and Ted style performances but the script calls for something a bit more real. Still a good night at the movies.

Grosse Point Blank was next. I was sure I had seen this. In my memory I think I had stitched together half a dozen 90s movies and called it Grosse Point Blank. Certainly watching it nothing was familiar. Maybe the most 90s movie ever made. From that special time when people were actually going for that look that said, Hey, I just picked up this camera and I'm learning how to use it as I shoot this film. Top fun.

Next up a long overdue reqatch of One Night At McCools which I'm shocked to have discovered was not well reviewed at the time. I remember it being good.
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X