What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edge of the Axe (1988)

Hmm... not much doing here, to be honest. If you're coming to this one as a fan of José Larraz, well, the good news is that the opening car wash murder is quite sombre and stylish - but after that, you can turn the damned thing off and reclaim 85 minutes of your life, because the rest of the movie could have been directed by any old bozo with a basic understanding of how to keep things in focus. If on the other hand you're approaching it as a fan of way-past-their-sell-by-date oddball slashers, well.... it's watchable, I suppose.

In fact, although this film is objectively bad in every respect, it actually had a certain misfit charm that made me quite like it. Mainly I think, this was due to English-as-a-second-language scripting which, though it never scales 'Troll 2'-like heights of surrealism, frequently has the poor cast members enunciating mouthfuls of garbled blather which no human being would ever actually say.

Elsewhere, the stuff about the lead couple pre-empting the internet by plugging their delightfully bulky home computers into "the central terminal" so that they can talk to each other chatroom-style was kind of charming, some of the violence is quite violent, and it was nice to see Jack Taylor and Patty Shepard pop up briefly. In terms of positives, that's really all I've got.

Strangely, about the only thing I could find to connect this to Larraz's earlier work is an unusual subplot involving a young man who has ill-advisedly married a woman many years his senior. Although the film is generally pretty sexless (sadly), this possibly speaks to the director's career-spanning interest in the sexuality of older women (albeit entirely off screen in this case).

Exterminator 2 (1984)

Wow, what a trainwreck. '80s bubblegum action trash at its most brainless... which isn't necessarily a criticism, but this is definitely second tier Cannon product - has a kind of 'Death Wish III on safety wheels' feel in places. Definitely a far cry from the grim ambiguity of Glickenhaus's original, that's for sure.

It's interesting to see a young Mario Van Peebles pop up as the main villain - inexplicably dressed as a member of Humungous's gang from 'The Road Warrior' despite the fact that no apocalypse has happened - but he's pretty ineffectual to be honest. (I wish his Dad had been in this film - that really would have been something.)

In fact, one of 'Exterminator 2's biggest problems as an action movie is that the heterogenous evil punk/b-boy gang who comprise the sole bad guys simply aren't very threatening. I mean, if the main challenge to law & order in NYC is a bunch of goonish stage school rejects tootling about on rollerskates, I'm confident that a pair of heavily armed Vietnam vets in an armour-plated garbage truck can probably deal with that threat quite effectively, thanks very much - so not much tension there.

In the first film, Robert Ginty worked so well because he was an emotional blank slate, numbed by PTSD, just goin' through the motions of murder and mayhem. Here, they have him playing this good-hearted, happy-go-lucky dude who's cracking jokes, gettin' romantic and trying to teach his crippled girlfriend to walk again. As a result, there is absolutely NO connection with the guy who spends his nights flame-throwering punks in alleyways - literally so in fact, as most of those scenes seem to have been filmed with stuntmen in welding masks standing in for him. Only Cannon in the mid '80s could hire a stone faced, tough guy leading man, then have him awkwardly play through a load of emotive character scenes, whilst they double him for all the action! Absolute madness.

Still plenty of entertainment value and crazy, wrong-headed ideas here of course (random contortionist break-dancing was a highlight), but of a variety which is probably best appreciated when you're on the right/wrong side of at least eight cans of beer, I would suggest.

Incidentally, the interview on the blu-ray with writer/co-director William Sachs is great. He seems like a real character. Lots of fun stories about working as an all purpose 'fixer' for Cannon, and his breakdown of the reasons 'Exterminator II' went so far off the rails (an indecisive/inexperienced director whose rich dad bought the franchise for him, additional shooting which the principal cast members refused to turn up for because they weren't getting paid enough) seems entirely plausible.
    https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
    http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• La Polizia Brancola Nel Buio
      What a weird little inept but awesome giallo. I was simultaniously bored and fascinated. The plot is wonderfully stupid and the sleaze is fairly thick. Great little oddity.

Trauma
      Predictable (I figured it out immediately) but enjoyably bonkers Spanish giallo. Antonio Mayans shows up as razor blade fodder.

The Killer Is One Of 13
      Waaay too talky for its own good. A full hour of talking, talking, talking, talking then some sloppy slasherings towards the end. It's not terrible, just very subpar.

Force Of Nature
      I genuinely enjoyed this b-movie starring Mel Gibson and Emile Hirsch. People crap all over it on imdb but this was lots of fun. Mel is a boss as always and yes, the story is
      cliche and stupid but Gibson and the latina cop have a fun chemistry together, the bad guy is solidly ruthless and the tiger in the closet thing was downright genius in its stupidity.
      That story decision alone automatically elevated it to a solid 7. I'm buying this eventually.

Stand-in
      Wonderful Leslie Howard/Joan Blondell comedy about the movie industry and its shenanigans. It kinda peters out at the end but it's so dang entertaining up until then it doesn't matter.
      Humphrey Bogart co-stars. I'm totes getting the blu-ray when I get paid.

We're Talking Serious Money
      Passable comedy starring three people I really, really like: Leo Rossi, Dennis Farina and Fran Drescher. Small time hustlers run into trouble with the mob in New York, flee to LA only to stumble upon
      a video tape with incriminating evidence on some senators taking bribes. Now they've gotta get out of two messes with the mob from back home hot on their tails as well as senator hired assassins.
      This was fun if nothing special. The actors work well together. I only wish Drescher would've been in it more. She's always a hoot to watch.
      Nabonga
      Last edited by Nabonga; 07-15-2020, 07:19 PM.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Watched Teorema this afternoon. Not 100% sure what was going on. But I'm guessing that's the point. PS... Paul... your mom was right!
        Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

• Originally posted by Alison Jane View Post
          Watched Teorema this afternoon. Not 100% sure what was going on. But I'm guessing that's the point. PS... Paul... your mom was right!
          Oh, shit, I forgot that came out. I'll have to pick up the Blu. My favourite Pasolini and a precursor to VISITOR Q.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• City Of The Living Dead
            Still my favourite Fulci film as well as my favourite zombie movie. It's got a wonderful
            atmosphere going for it with so many cool scenes. Scorpions new disc is flipping fantastic.
            I'm soooo happy I bought it. This is the release to own.

American Rickshaw
            Lesser Sergio Martino film. Still plenty weirdness and off the wall stuff to entertain.
            The leading actors name is Mitch Gaylord. That's just endlessly hilarious to me. Except Donald
            Pleasence and Daniel Greene this is a fairly no name cast but all are decent enough. Not a must
            have film but will definitely get it when/if the price comes down.
            Nabonga
            Last edited by Nabonga; 07-23-2020, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Lethal Weapon 1-4. Turned out the girlfriend hadn't seen any of these so we did a marathon. It's a pretty great action series without an absolute dud in the lot. Did find they could get a bit exhausting with everyone yelling over everyone else all the time, as is Donners style, but all have good action and some laughs.

2 is probably better than 1. You get to skip past the getting to know you scenes and get straight to the fun. Both are a hell of a lot better than 3 and 4. 3 doesn't take a moment to establish a convincing villian. 4 is just starting a bit cute. 4 is probably better than 3.

I was reading that Shane Black wrote a screenplay for part 2. He considers it the best script he has written. As far as I know it's not available anywhere. Apparently Riggs was supposed to die at the end of part 2. Black gets a story credit for 2 which may indicate that they used some of his script but who knows? I'd be keen to give it a read.
              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• I've also been working my way through film documentaries that I found on Prime.

Electric Boogaloo: don't know why it took me so long to get to this one. I loved Not Quite Hollywood and this is exactly the same format but with the equally fascinating Cannon films as the subject. Maybe the interviewees weren't quite as good this time. That Hartley couldn't rope in Golan and Globus themselves doesn't help the cause. Great fun though.

All The Colours Of Giallo: Such a waste! I'm guessing the guy who put this together had never seen a Hartley documentary. Tons of the major players are interviewed but by God it's boring. It takes 45 minutes to get off Bava and Argento and then 5 minutes are spent talking about the Psychic before ripping through the rest of the genre in the last quarter of an hour. Major missed opportunity.

Lost Souls: I love a filmmaking disaster story and this ones as good as they get. Its the perfect example of how much hope and trust go into making a film and hoe easily it can fall all apart. I didn't know a lot about Stanley going in but he comes off as quite the tosser to my eyes. Even so it's brutal to hear the story how he got fed to the sharks on this one. Top class doco.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                  Lethal Weapon 1-4. Turned out the girlfriend hadn't seen any of these so we did a marathon. It's a pretty great action series without an absolute dud in the lot. Did find they could get a bit exhausting with everyone yelling over everyone else all the time, as is Donners style, but all have good action and some laughs.

2 is probably better than 1. You get to skip past the getting to know you scenes and get straight to the fun. Both are a hell of a lot better than 3 and 4. 3 doesn't take a moment to establish a convincing villian. 4 is just starting a bit cute. 4 is probably better than 3.

I was reading that Shane Black wrote a screenplay for part 2. He considers it the best script he has written. As far as I know it's not available anywhere. Apparently Riggs was supposed to die at the end of part 2. Black gets a story credit for 2 which may indicate that they used some of his script but who knows? I'd be keen to give it a read.
                  The Lethal Weapons were some of my favorite films back in the day and I watched them regularly. 2 was my favorite back then but I can hardly stand it on my rewatches over the past decade. The Social Justice stuff is so heavy handed and I find Riggs and Murtaugh to be incredibly unlikable in all the sequels. That said, The first film is still one of my favorites and I could watch it on a loop. Its much darker than the sequels, has better villains, and doesn't have Leo Getz.

Comment

• I watched DEVILS OF DARKNESS and WITCHCRAFT last night. DEVILS is a bit slow but, hey, British devil worshipping films from the 60s - love 'em! WITCHCRAFT was really good. ^_^

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPA51603.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	358646
                    2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

• Tread (2020). https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5807330/ Very good docu on a guy who got fucked over by a small corrupt town and fortified a bulldozer and goes on a rampage. Can't help but respect the guy in some ways and he went out of his way to avoid any fatality.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Mostly 80s comedies this week-

-Just one of the guys.
                        -Real Genius.
                        -Revenge of the Nerds.
                        -Pump up the volume. (technically 1990)
                        -Fraternity Vacation.
                        -Dragnet.

Comment

• 9 Deaths Of The Ninja
                          Glorious camp with everyone in on the joke. Fantastic schlock. The German blu-ray is very decent. Highly recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack J View Post
                            I watched DEVILS OF DARKNESS and WITCHCRAFT last night. DEVILS is a bit slow but, hey, British devil worshipping films from the 60s - love 'em! WITCHCRAFT was really good. ^_^
                            Although it's 1970's, I assume you've seen Race With the Devil, with Warren Oates? If not, you need to. It's essential.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quot View Post
                              Although it's 1970's, I assume you've seen Race With the Devil, with Warren Oates? If not, you need to. It's essential.
                              Thanks, Quot! Yes, I've seen it! However, it wasn't till fairly recently that I got hold of it on dvd, because someone else also recommended it to me. Loved it! He described it as "the best horror/action-film" that he'd seen.
                              2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason C View Post
                                The Lethal Weapons were some of my favorite films back in the day and I watched them regularly. 2 was my favorite back then but I can hardly stand it on my rewatches over the past decade. The Social Justice stuff is so heavy handed and I find Riggs and Murtaugh to be incredibly unlikable in all the sequels. That said, The first film is still one of my favorites and I could watch it on a loop. Its much darker than the sequels, has better villains, and doesn't have Leo Getz.
                                I didn't mind Leo in the second one....when I first saw it. I agree, though, doesn't hold up well. I think that I probably like the 4th over the 3rd, despite the fact that they bring Chris Rock in as well. There are so many great villains in it; and I think even Gibson commented in an interview, "Come on, people are supposed to expect I won a fight against Jet Li?"

The first one, for all of it's flaws, takes the title for Gary Busey's involvement. Add Tom Atkins, and jeez. What a cast. Would have liked to have seen an uncut blu with the playground scene. That was also in the novelization of the script/film, which I read a billion times as a kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X