No announcement yet.

What are you watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PET SEMATARY II - I hadn't watched this in years and I had forgotten how crazy it is. It's like a late '80s Italian horror flick, only with top-notch FX and a huge budget. I think the studio let Mary Lambert do whatever she wanted because of the first film's success. The result is a mess of a movie, filled with stupid characters, dumb plotting and some awesome, surreal horror sequences. The last half-hour, in particular, is completely batshit. Make no mistake, this is a pretty bad movie (and it approaches so-bad-its-good territory) but it's not boring and I love the fact that Paramount put it out.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

• The Poison Rose
      Great cast. Boring movie. John Travolta farts around sleuthing, wearing the
      shittiest hair piece imaginable (you can clearly see the wig seams). Famke
      Janssen slinks around looking horribly plastic surgeoned to the gills.
      Brendan Fraser knows exactly what cack he's in so decides to have fun and ham
      it up to a 1000% as an effeminate crooked doctor. Holy shit that guy crashed HARD!
      From 90's heartthrob super hunk to fat bloated greasy slob with not much hair left. Sad...
      but great to see him working again.
      Robert Patrick, Peter Stormare and Morgan Freeman also collect paychecks but it doesn't
      help much. This is bland, plodding stuff. Avoid.

Girl Most Likely
      Likeable Kristen Wiig suffers a breakdown and moves back home to get back on track. She
      was considered the next big thing in writing but failed to deliver something worthy after all
      the praise. Stuck with her oddball family she slowly regains her senses again. Then she finds
      out her supposedly dead dad is still alive and decides to return to New York to find him. Her
      weirdo savant-like, crab obsessed brother tags along. This is the second time I've seen this
      now and it clicked better with me this time around. Like I said, Kristen Wiig possesses a certain
      likeability and charm and the supporting cast is pretty good. Especially Annette Bening and
      Matt Dillon. It's a decent, well shot, feel good quirky indie fit for a rainy day. I'm fond of those
      for some reason. I'm gonna add this to my purchase list.
      Nabonga
      Last edited by Nabonga; 05-29-2019, 10:47 PM.
      https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

• Halloween 4 (USA, 1988) [DVD] - 3/5
        Watchable but mind bogglingly stupid sequel plays the slasher concept as an action film. I couldn't quite decide if it was entertaining or just dumb until the last scene... which is fucking brilliant! Almost earns the film a 5 star rating.

Halloween 5 (USA, 1989) [DVD] - 2/5
        A bit of break for the teens as Michael spends the entire film trying to kill a little child. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Though actress Danielle Harris, 11 or 12 at the time, appears to have been fine with it, it still feels distasteful on both sides of the camera. There's also some nauseating camerawork and a terrible attempts at making the film trendy and modern (dear god at the opening credits). On the positive side, Dr. Loomis is completely insane in this one! I'm being generous with the rating, mainly because the film is at least not boring

Halloween (USA, 2018) [DCP] - 3/5
        Functional, entertaining and old fashioned sequel with very little in the way of modernizing the series - which is great. There are small things to nag about - forgettable kills, no boobs, occasional stupidity (long barrel rifle for close range combat?) but it's atmospheric, kind of interesting and fun to watch. And the score still sounds great. The Japanese release was late as usual - hit the theatres just on time for... Easter!

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
          Halloween 5 (USA, 1989) [DVD] - 2/5 On the positive side, Dr. Loomis is completely insane in this one!
          This makes me want to watch it again. Does Pleasance get a lot of screen time in it?

Comment

• Picnic At Hanging Rock
            Boring nonsense. There's a tv show also. I'll put myself through that as well,
            to see if that's shit too (Natalie Dormer is in it so at least there will be someone
            interesting to look at for 6 hours). Perhaps they'll expand on the oh so non riveting
            red cloud the fat ugly girl was talking about.

House/Hausu
            Creative nonsense. But it made me chuckle quite a few times. Very silly, chaotic
            stuff. I'll buy it if I ever come across it on sale.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
              Picnic At Hanging Rock
              Boring nonsense. There's a tv show also. I'll put myself through that as well,
              to see if that's shit too (Natalie Dormer is in it so at least there will be someone
              interesting to look at for 6 hours). Perhaps they'll expand on the oh so non riveting
              red cloud the fat ugly girl was talking about.
              Yay lol. I'm not alone. I tried so hard to like Picnic At Hanging Rock. I'm all for leaving things open to interpretation but my goodness, there just isn't enough going on.

House/Hausu is one the most amazing things I've seen on film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                This makes me want to watch it again. Does Pleasance get a lot of screen time in it?
                Kinda forgot already, but I think he got a decent amount of screen time. Should be worth a watch if you want to see him.

Originally posted by Nabonga View Post
                House/Hausu
                Creative nonsense. But it made me chuckle quite a few times. Very silly, chaotic
                stuff. I'll buy it if I ever come across it on sale.
                Agreed. It's nowhere near his best film, though. Obayashi was a fantasy/drama/youth film director first and foremost, and his best films were in that genre. The romantic sisterhood ghost story Futari (1991) is my favorite of his, the closest anyone has ever come to a live action Ghibli movie.

His Motorbike, Her Island (1986) is probably the most beautiful looking and sounding of his films, as scenes like this and this demonstrate (that's very young Riki Takeuchi btw).
                Takuma
                Last edited by Takuma; 06-01-2019, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• Picnic At Hanging Rock (2018 TV Boogaloo)
                  2 episodes in and... I'm not hating it. This too is a little slow, but so far it's at least more interesting than the film. And like I said, Natalie Dormer (stupid sexy irl lola bunny/alien ) goes a long way. As suspected she plays the part of the old Oliver Reed looking lady from the original. It's masterfully well shot too.

Blonde Venus
                  Old timey melodrama starring Marlene Dietrich. There are movie stars and then there are MOVIE STARS. Goddamn that lady had screen presence! First film with her I've ever seen. Looking forward to watching more stuff. Young Cary Grant and Sidney "Charlie Chan" Toler also star.

Comment

• Hail Mafia-Obscure yet powerful crime drama starring Eddie Constantine, Henry Silva and Jack Klugman. The latter two are hitmen who are assigned to kill Eddie for fear he will talk to the feds (even though he is in France). The killers take off and shortly thereafter the hit is called off. The hitmen are unaware of this and head for their final confrontation with Eddie. Damn good thriller.
                    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• ATROZ - This is a demented (mostly) found footage film from Mexico that is one of the most disturbing I've seen in a while. It's basically a series of horrific videotapes being watched by cops after they arrest a couple of guys for a hit and run. The videos show them torturing people. If you can get through the first 20 minutes, you'll probably be able to handle the whole thing. I don't recommend it and there's really no reason to watch it. It's repulsive and I kinda felt like a moron watching it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                        ATROZ - This is a demented (mostly) found footage film from Mexico that is one of the most disturbing I've seen in a while. It's basically a series of horrific videotapes being watched by cops after they arrest a couple of guys for a hit and run. The videos show them torturing people. If you can get through the first 20 minutes, you'll probably be able to handle the whole thing. I don't recommend it and there's really no reason to watch it. It's repulsive and I kinda felt like a moron watching it.
                        It sounded pretty bad from the reviews I had read, nice to hear an honest opinion about it.

Comment

• A Walk Among the Tombstones (USA, 2014) [Netflix] - 3.5/5
                          Private eye Liam Neeson is hired by a drug dealer to find out who killed his wife. Nice moral twist to a storyline that feels tailor made for Neeson (even if it was a novel adaptation Harrison Ford was originally going to star in).

Cold Pursuit (UK etc. 2019) [DCP] - 2/5
                          Irritating hipster comedy directed by some Norwegian cunt.

Comment

• I found A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES to be incredibly disturbing. The psychos are unusually sadistic in their methods.

Comment

• what are you watching?

Opeth Blackwater Park
                              Amore - The Hooters

Comment

• Originally posted by Takuma View Post
                                Cold Pursuit (UK etc. 2019) [DCP] - 2/5
                                Irritating hipster comedy directed by some Norwegian cunt.
                                I watched this yesterday. I liked it a lot! I thought it was very fucking funny.
                                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                                X